Simucube 2 True Drive Paddock - Feedback and suggestions

Thx for the quick answer, thought that was removed in an earlier version. That’s why I didn’t update yet.

@Andrew_WOT @designamk1 I guess the question raised before by @Jakob.BrauratCan you please tell me what the big disadvantage from paddock offline mode over classic mode is?” is fair enough since @Mika did listen and at least addressed some of the original issues (apologies, but I have not followed all the complains and rambling about the paddock …).

As I see it - status quo running Paddock 2021.9:

• no need to to use the online mode
  • offline mode can be set as default
  • creation of new profiles is possible in offline mode
  • import of exported classic profiles is possible in offline mode (as is import of classic profiles stored on the device). This can be done when editing a profile.
  • selecting an offline profile is a single click (and editing that profile again one click)
  • offline profiles do not require to select a game and put in descriptions which is what is required for the online mode
  • the profiles (including the ones created in offline mode) are stored locally on the PC

Whether or not a one time creation of an online account is required or not I do not know (@Mika?). Would the need to create an account but not being required to login to use the offline mode really be a reason not to use paddock?
–> registration is not required (see answer below)

So to me this clearly shows @Mika and team did listen and addressed at least many key points which had been raised against paddock initially.

So this comes back to the question:
What is the real killer argument still standing that you cannot accept paddock using it in a pure offline mode?

1 Like

No it is not. And Paddock profiles that Paddock users have shared, can be tried also in Offline mode, all without registering at all.

Next fw release is about to be ready, still pending an updated image of the Tahko wheel.

4 Likes

In fact, while waiting for that, I might have a look if I can add renaming of Offline profiles.

2 Likes

Thanks @AkiG. The message from GD on the role of offline mode until recently was very clear, was direction changed, I have no idea, these are just recent examples from end of August, quite informative read demonstrating very clearly GD stance on offline mode.

And one just from yesterday

If the intent is to make offline mode fully functional, not a poor man backup only option, the messaging from GD is quite confusing and does not show that intent at all.

1 Like

The intent is still to have the offline mode as a fallback for the unlikely and rare situations that internet fails.

You quote a few posts.
The first quote: We did change the direction a bit and improved the offline mode based on the comments, so quoting this old comment is not valid anymore.
The second quote: This refers to old windows-style UI, with all the limitations that come from it. For example, Paddock profiles have a place to write down racer’s private notes about the profile, which is not possible in offline profiles (and was not available in Classic mode).
The third quote: We did add creation of pure offline profile after that comment, so quoting this old comment is not valid anymore.

Forth quote: see below

We are working on making the offline mode usable. It is already usable now, but its difficult to make improvements to it based on uninformed comments like “please make it just like classic”. Just now I will be investigating whether the renaming of offline profile can be made easily.

About the features: We are planning to finally make a system with profile<->game mapping that would get automatic profile switching possible. But we are unsure how to include two profile management systems to it, so it is likely that it will be implemented to Paddock, and then we will see if/how it can be made to support Offline mode as well.

1 Like

What is so “uninformed” with asking to retain 100% of Classic functionality. You don’t expect us to explain you how Classic mode works?

@Andrew_WOT So again the question: what are you missing compared to the classic mode given the status quo of the offline mode?

I would think the offline mode will also support the configuration of new upcoming filters which require paddock due to the API between paddock and the device firmware (but this would anyhow go beyond supporting status quo of the classic mode which is what you are asking for).

New usability features (comments to profiles, potentially automatically selecting a profile based on game / car combination and whatever else is on GD’s backlog in terms of usability) likely will not make it into the offline mode.

So why not share with us what is still missing in paddock offline mode as it is now (plus the upcoming 2021.11 release) compared to classic mode? It seems you had not been aware of the current state of the offline mode and just keep repeating “make it like classic mode”. What is not like classic mode (ok renaming a profile in offline mode is not yet supported, biggy right?) you really miss?

Comments like this all from the last 2 days plus not concretely naming the remaining gaps looks uniformed to me as it appears you do not fully understand the current status.

PS: i am by no means in any way related or affiliated with GD. My comments are purely based on my perspective as a user and reading this discussion here.

3 Likes

Still waiting for that missing image :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Here’s the missing image. Can you release the new version now? :rofl:

7 Likes

Maybe this is the case in Finland but unfortunately that is not true In other parts of the world. Internet failures are not unlikely and rare as you state

1 Like

Based on the feedback GD has implemented the offline mode which does not even require to register online. So what is your point. Offline mode can select, create, modify profiles.

It gets a bit tiring that always the same arguments against paddock are brought up without acknowledging or commenting on the offline capabilities which have been meanwhile implemented to address the concerns raised here. Bringing up always the same old points without concrete input as to what - if anything - is still the problem with the new version is not very constructive.

Imho Mika and team did a great job addressing the initial key points of critique

4 Likes

What’s my point? I’m pointing out the fact that Mika’s assumption is wrong

You’re saying all this because I pointed out an incorrect and quite frankly uninformed assumption?

@designamk1 I so knew that this would be the exact reaction to my post. I know that your statement that internet is not reliable in all parts of the world is correct.

But your statement definitely implies a resistance against the newer TD versions, especially given your recent post

To me (personal impression, others might differ) comments like that or earlier from @Andrew_WOT imply that you are still opposing the new Software for reasons given in the past but meanwhile addressed by Mika and team. Not a very constructive way of discussion!

I am still waiting for anything concrete what is still missing in the new TD Software with it’s offline capabilities compared to the classic SW? And nothing we said has happened, really ???
Did you check the current status and offline capabilities (if not testing yourself at least from the release notes and the most recent discussion here, e.g. my post where I directly addressed you Simucube 2 True Drive Paddock - Feedback and suggestions)?

So either be concrete what problems still persist with TD 2021.9 and the upcoming TD 2021.11 relative to TD Classic or stop complaining about not relevant points (not reliable internet --> has been addressed via offline mode) or old points of critique which have been addressed by now. I believe the Offline mode has by now feature parity with TD Classic and even the UI for editing an offline profile looks the same to me as TD Classic.

Imho Mika did a great job listening and being open to the points of critique while maintaining the decided overall strategy how to move the Software and Firmware forward.

3 Likes

Mate, I made a comment to Mika about his assumptions and now again you’re spewing all the same stuff over and over again. Who’s the repetitive one again? My comments were pointed to Mika and he has answered some of them. Again, I’m not sure what you’re on about when I was pointing out an incorrect assumption. Are you want to get something off your chest?

I have no idea what your on about and I don’t even know who you are and to be honest I’m not really interested in hearing what you have to say

Likewise

Btw, I have no problem with Paddock online and use it.
I only tried the offline mode yesterday for the 1st time as in this thread the complaining about the new TD versions did not stop. And after testing it I am lost as to why (very few) people are still complaining hence I asked what is the problem without getting any answer so far.

1 Like
  • sw needs offline mode as before
  • it has, but we recommend online anyway
  • sw needs offline, because we don’t want to register
  • we have added offline mode usable without registering, but it’s a backup for online which we recommend
  • we want offline mode as close as possible to classic
  • the offline mode is as close as classic as it can be almost, it’s a backup for online mode though, whenever internet fails in some rare cases
  • internet is not reliable here, granite doesn’t listen

hi AkiG, you are right! we can’t complain about software we don’t know. I have not downloaded the new Paddock, I still use the TD 2020.10. Actually I’m afraid I won’t be able to go back with the downgrade. Convince me it’s a good thing to upgrade. Convince me that the Paddock is better than TD 2020.10. Convince me that the Paddock is more stable than TD 2020.10 and therefore I will not have any problems. But please don’t tell me about the shared profiles, don’t interest me. Thanks

4 Likes