Simucube 2 Discussion Thread

Would this also cut power to the wheel?

It was weird as I had to unplug and plug everything in again to get it to switch on.

That sounds like USB disconnect.
Could you still steer the car?

the hands-off sensitivity setting may cause the beeps and will also decrease the force until you put your hands back on the wheel.
Another cause for the beeps could be clipping detection.

Randomly powering off might be caused because the 2 PSU’s are not properly connected or if they have too much of a difference in power output; that has happened to 1 or 2 guys before here on the forum.

Nope. Cars could not be steered.

I played a bit more last night and hasn’t happened a third time.

What was the fix for the other guys? Do you recall? I cannot find the thread.

The threads related to losing power to the base are here:

https://community.granitedevices.com/t/lost-ffb-after-1h/3280

https://community.granitedevices.com/t/error-140405-undervoltage/3197

Keep in mind that if you had PSU issues you would normally be alerted by True Drive detecting and then showing you a fault code, as was the case in those threads.

This seems to be my problem but doesn’t seem to get really hot or anything. Unit just turns off, fault code was recorded on both occasions but I didn’t take much notice.

Has not happened since I unplugged everything and plugged back in, connectors at the back of the SC2 Pro are loose (cables when plugged in) - are these supposed to be tight??

If you do happen to see a fault code again, take a note and post that here so the gurus can take a look.

I wouldn’t say my PSU connectors were loose although the weight of the large ferrite cores do pull the multiplugs downward very slightly.

How is your cable management? I have my cabling strapped up pretty well which acts as a support to stop things drooping or being able to move at an angle relative to the sockets.

Happened again! I have my SC2 at 100% using the ACC profile that has been supplied with the drivers as a template. Running about 40% in game. No heat from the SC2 or the PSU and no error code.

Cable management is tidy - strapped everything together. I tired wiggling the cables around to see if anything was a bit loose and no power drops.

Strange!! Might just let Brett @ HRS know tomorrow.

Does it turn on automatically right afterwards or not?

Have you tried other games? Rfactor2, Iracing, Raceroom, AC if same problem occurs there?

Hi Mika,

No does not turn on automatically afterwards. On/Off switch doesn’t respond either. Its like there is a loose connections somewhere but it switches off randomly.

@Boska
Tried a few games and has happened on the others as well.

OK, that is a hint. Simucube 2 requires a working USB connection. Could it be that you have a dodgy USB hub, or that Windows is powering off USB ports? Turn off at least the USB Selective Suspend setting in Power options in Windows.

Thanks Mika, so if a USB signal is lost the motor will power off? Or if no USB is connected, motor won’t start?

I will test this out and let everyone know.

Thx!

Exactly. Especially if the events happen to you with not-so-high forces or not in crashes, it would point out to be not the power supply at fault.

1 Like

Try re-arrange your USB devices. Motherboards usually have different USB controllers for front and rear ports. If you can have the wheel on its own controller and rest of your stuff on the other. Try with as few devices connected as possible when you experiment.

If you run the SC2 on a USB hub, try it direct in PC USB instead. USB hubs can be scetchy.

Also check USB drivers are up to date in device manager. Latest Bios version on motherboard. Set win10 to max performance and as Mika said, turn of every single USB power saving on all the USB ports.

1 Like

Good point in relation is ruling out the PSU Mika.

Here are some things I noticed.

1. SC2 will not switch off automatically after a loss of PC connection is detected.
  2. Once the USB has been disconnected and after the SC2 has been switched off. The SC2 won’t power back on without the cable connected.

I think the fault may he with the cable itself. I have swapped over the cable and will see what happens. Do you think it could be the SC2 wheel? Or the USB plug on the wheel?

@Boska - PC is fairly new and all updates to Windows and BIOS have been applied. PC is running in full power mode and nothing I can see in the settings is reducing power to any USB ports. SC2 is plugged into the back of the PC. My monitor has a UBS but but I have my wheel and HE sprint pedals plugged into it with no issues whatsoever.

1 Like

We have seen one or two USB cable issues. Lets wait for your comments after you have changed the cable.

1 Like

I needed a much longer usb cable in order to get a direct connection into the pc which gave me a chance to pick up a higher quality one.

As @Boska already mentioned, it’s a really good idea to try and have the servo on its own dedicated usb controller if at all possible.

Although not related to the SC2, I’ve had nightmares with my vr headset that were only resolved when I worked out a way to get it onto its own dedicated controller.

You should be good if you can manage to do what @Mika and @Boska have advised.

1 Like

Will see how the new USB cable goes. Hopefully resolved.

@Mika @Boska thanks for 'll the assistance!

2 Likes