SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

@Mika - should I try using the automatic option instead of the manual indexing?

Yes. It should work.

ok, I will try that now and report back in a minute

Yep - that worked.
Using the automatic setting works!

Thanks.

BTW - I’m trying to figure out what the bumpstop damping option does?
I have it set to 200% and it still bounces off the bumpstops violently.
Is this feature broken?

I have my bumpstop power at 90% as I don’t like being able to push the wheel beyond the bumpstops

I’ve been discussing the bumpstop issue with Simucube (and I’m assuming other DD wheels) in Assetto Corsa, where if you change the soft lock in the .ini file to make sure your actual wheel reflects the same degrees of rotation as the virtual wheel (in some cars it’s only 360 degrees), the result is extremeley violent and unusable.
See this guys video

The bumbstop damping is an ongoing project still. I will try to make it not dependent on the encoder resolution - currently it is somewhat dependent on that.

Please keep in mind, that the “hardware” bumbstops in firmware are completely separate from game-generated bumbstops, which are quite horrible in every single simulator I’ve tried. There is no way to improve those, although some game settings can be altered.

Running the Configure Motor, Encoder and Center point wizard solved my problem with the shifted centerpoint. Thanks. 10k encoder with fw 0.9.7 (not a)

Thanks Mika!
Keep up the great work, loving my Simucube more and more.

PS - as long as there’s a default profile in the config tool, there’s no reason to open the config tool unless I want to change profiles, right?

Correct, no need to open the Configuration Tool.

Friday update:

• Preliminary bugfix for “simucube stops responding” is done, but needs testing with a computer that I could make it do that. I spent 30min at the office plugging usb cables and it of course didn’t do it, where as yesterday at home, it did that almost immediately after being not so nice with the usb cable. Testing will be on sunday night at the earliest.
  • Codemasters have the test hardware at hand. I have high hopes that they will come back to me when they have some answers.
  • Possible way to fix “simucube on, computer won’t boot” issue is designed. It needs to be implemented and tested.
  • Next week I should be able to spend some time on our Wiki to finally integrate our firmware to the install guide, and make everything nice there. I cannot promise that I will finish this next week.
  • Game settings are going to be added to the forum and wiki as well.
  • We do have ideas for new filters and stuff, stay tuned :wink:
13 Likes

Mika,

1 simple suggestion. Instead of trying to rewrite the full wiki create 1 extra main page first wih this title: simucube quick installation guide. And there in 1 simple page share the basics. You already have that info on the wiki you have to copy paste only and rephrase it somewhere. Concentrate only on doing a clean install(no mmos etc). Just simple steps. Connect the cables here. Put 48v there. Click here and there and go… :slight_smile:

And after this if you have unlimited time the full wiki can be rewriten.

If you need help from me or from the community to do one of two of the subpages please ping me.

Bests
Szabolcs

2 Likes

Unfortunately, the automatic option is not remembering the index.
I haven’t raced in a few days and turning my Simucube on once again saw the virtual wheel completely out of sync with the actual wheel.

EDIT:
It would seem that if the Simucube Config Tool is open BEFORE powering on the Simucube, then it will work. But even with the wheel in center position before powering up the simucube, it will not align properly if the config tool hasn’t been opened prior to powering up the Simucube.

The automatic expects you to start SimuCUBE with always centered wheel, as explained in the user manual.

I am currently investigating a bug where one extra hardware settings are saved to SimuCUBE when configuration tool connects to it. This could also cause these minor issues.

Workaround for this specific issue - one of the long-standing bugs that has to be fixed before stable version - is tested. I will be able to supply a test version tomorrow for interested people that suffer from this issue.
NOTE, that this version is only going to be sent to the people that can make SimuCUBE do this bug, and thus can test this fix in a reliable way.

Thanks Mika.
Like you said, it’s a minor issue that for the time being just requires the config tool to be opened. That’s not really an issue as I like to often switch profiles for different cars/games so I just leave it open!

Not sure if its placebo, but with the 2048 line/21M resolution SinCOS encoder the ability to catch cars that in the past I could not is uncanny. I truly feel this thing gives an edge over the old 10K encoder I had. I don’t think it’s placebo BTW :wink:

Hi, still on 0.7.1 firmware version with Lenze, with version of config tool that was available last september - any specific update process to follow to update to latest available firmware and config tool? Thanks

Thats very old! Just download the latest version and launch it, it will automatically prompt you to update.

You will loose all your profile settings when upgrading such old version.

1 Like

Thanks @Mika, all sorted, very straight-forward