SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Today i came back to using Simucube firmware (left of @ 1.8.4) and want to report that the process of installation coming from MMOS firmware went flawlessly. The 1.9.5 firmware is a real delight @Mika you really have done magic :grin:

1 Like

Regarding the life of the Simucube flash memory . . . is it feasible to have an option to store profiles on the PC and loaded by the firmware from there either in the event of a flash failure or to extend the life?

yes, you can already do that. Make profiles, export them to file, then import profiles from file. If you donā€™t press save to flash button, nothing gets saved.

However, it is not necessary to do that. 10k+ times is plenty. And I think nobody has found the actual limit.

Iā€™ve decided to skip public release of 0.9.6, as it had so many bugs in the two prerelease versions. 0.9.7 with the fixes will be released tomorrow.

7 Likes

Firmware version 0.9.7 has been released.

https://granitedevices.com/wiki/SimuCUBE_firmware_releases

6 Likes

Also, translations repository is ready. It has all the same license agreements and contribution mechanism that will be utilized for the actual Open Source firmware too. Please give feedback and comments about this aspect, if you have interest in Open Source development.

Thanks for another solid update.

1 Like

Some notes for the pre-release testers such as @dotexe above: Thank you for pre-release testing! Please also update 0.9.7 so we can get all on the same version again. Also, I implemented some new minor stuff to the Configuration Tool for 0.9.7, namely, tidied up some text in firmware update dialog to have different text for

• manual re-flash
  • too old version detected
  • SimuCUBE in Firmware Upgrade Mode automatically detected

cases.

I also moved the ā€œDRC file could not be openedā€ error message right on the selection page, so user will get immediate feedback on that and cannot proceed onwards without having the file in place.

0.9.7a has been silently released as a hotfix. DRC file could not be uploaded via the Configuration Tool.

2 Likes

Thank you for the updates to analog configuration. I recently wired up my ECCI pedals to the SimuCube, and found that there was a modest deadzone at the end of travel that I thought might be a pot issue. The new configuration screen made it very plain that I had entered a 1,000 point deadzone inadvertently in the previous interface.

In addition to being a phenomenal FFB system, the SimuCube makes a very nice pedal interface, too, at least with my pot-based ECCI pedals. I may fiddle with button wiring, next.

1 Like

The next update to that dialog will be simple SET MINIMUM and SET MAXIMUM buttons that ease up the setup even further :slight_smile: Thanks for the feedback.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the continuous updates. Great work!!!

Thank you for all the fantastic work Mika and everyone involved.

Iā€™m sure youā€™ve already seen the Assetto Corsa Anouncement.
https://www.assettocorsa.net/competizione/

Really looking forward to this and expect it to be my #1 sim. They mention

HIGH-LEVEL HARDWARE COMPATIBILITY
Assetto Corsa Competizione ensures full compatibility with a wide range of peripherals from gamepads to professional steering wheels.

Would it make sense for you to get in touch with Kunos Simulazioni to make sure they develop their FFB around the Simucube as well, so that it works well out of the box? I know there are other ā€œprofessionalā€ wheels out thereā€¦ Just donā€™t want to be stuck messing around with config files, etc if we donā€™t have to.

The sim is looking killer. Just want to make sure our hardware is ready when it comes out.

5 Likes

Great suggestion. I shall try to get in contact with Kunos :wink:

In another news

• Test device that makes F1 2017 crash will be sent to Codemasters tomorrow!
  • I may have found what goes wrong when SimuCUBE stops responding to USB stuff. This seems to happen after being on for a long, long time, or at disconnection/reconnection, after PC reboot, etc. Lets see if I can fix this :slight_smile:
4 Likes

This would be very welcome. Especially the part about after PC reboot. :slight_smile:

Hi Mika,
Thanks for the release.
Noticed that since updating from 0.94 to 0.97 that the wheel never accurately finds center point on startup. The wheel in the Simucube diagram is off to the left of the actual physical wheel by about 25 degrees.
I am using manual index (as suggested the better option by BSohn some time back) and I have to reset the wheel center every time I power up my Simucube.
This NEVER happened in 0.94.

Appreciate any ideas on how to work around this issue.
Thanks

Same for me. With 0.97 center shifted always ~19 degrees to the left on startup. Never happened before. I also use the manual indexing.

I will investigate this. However, I donā€™t have an encoder that outputs the index signal installed, so not able to debug at this time.

You can use the other indexing option for now. It is no better or worse than the manual method.

Did you re-run the motor configuration wizard or not?

I always use the auto index. Has worked always worked flawlessly. Just make sure you wheel is about on center when you turn it on.

@GlobeSpy can you try to re-run the Configure Motor, Encoder and Center point wizard? A report came to me that re-running that will resolve the issue, but Iā€™m yet to test if it works with all encoders affected by this.

1 Like