Simucube 2 True Drive software feedback thread

360 bug fix still working for me and i’ve been fiddling with the settings quite a bit out on track.

its getting there :+1:

1 Like

Do we have a release date for this Update of TD ?

Found minor bug, “Reload Settings from Simucube” does not update displayed in TD profile changed values.
Steps to reproduce:

• change profile settings, like recon filter
  • go to Info tab and click “Reload Settings from Simucube”
  • select previously changed profile, it still has changed values
  • restarting TD clears that state and reverts profile to stored on Simucube values.

Hello Mika,

can i ask you if is possible that this test version can repair my ultimate or is confirmed that is hardware related the issues?. if you think that worth a try i can unpack and mount the motor to test it.

thank you.

This is exactly how my SC2 pro sounds with appr. those kinds of settings.

Nicsos, did you find another solution than to lower the slew rate to almost nothing and limiting the hz, as you reported later in this thread?

Or did you find that something indeed was wrong?

Thanks

Did you try this, recon setting can be borked in the profile

Mmm…I think I have given feedback ages ago that your unit was 100% fine and the sounds were absolutely normal with the settings you had?

Or was it someone else…but I am sure it was you, you still commented yours sounded exactly like mine when I was doing a video of some laps around Mt Panorama…

I think at some point people need to realise these are very powerful industrial servo motors, with massive amounts of current to turn the direction from one side to the other when running higher torque levels…

Thus, if everything is not 100% rigid and sturdy on your rig, there’s bound to be sound generated. These are not plastic wheels with a small motor at 0.2NM geared up to 6 or 8NM, guys, here are direct-drive 20-30NM wheels.

To put it in perspective, if I used the same step-up ratio as these cheaper plastic wheels on the SC2 Pro, it will produce 1,000NM torque. That is more than my Supercharged Stage 2 Mustang 5L Coyote.

So let that sink in for a moment…

Even on the SC2 Sport, it will still do 680NM then, again significantly more than most cars on the road today…

So yes…sorry for going off-topic a bit…

1 Like

I sent my base to the reseller, he sent it back to GD and there it was checked. They told me it’s all working fine and these noises are within the tolerance of the product.

I can still hear it also with the reconstruction filter at 6 or 7.

Turning up the headphones volume was the only solution for me.

sorry i just answered to @kledsen and forgot to tag him, mine was not a question.

@phillip.vanrensburg if you came to tease me, you can also save yourself the trouble.

Again someone comes who is confused by the noise and you invent stories about plastic devices and even blame the rig if everything is not 100% rigid?

I had tried your settings suggestions and it also made noise. The noises where hearable on your videos, as you correctly recognized. But you made fun of because of my settings. Nobody wanted to admit that these devices made noises and that this was normal, also with your suggested settings.

Nobody complains about the performance of these devices. So what exactly do you want to say here? Just tell the guy that the sounds are normal and that that’s the way it is with the DD.

4 Likes

If you go back and reread my comments from when you first complained, you will realise told you then the noises are normal. Point is, you did not believe me, could have saved yourself a lot of trouble and stress :wink:

All good, as long as you’re happy now, have fun with your wheel. And no, I am not making fun of you, just tell you how it is. My apologies if you are that sensitive, I did not try to make fun of you. Just shared the reality.

Thanks for the new description as sensitive, that was really necessary now, omg.

It is not necessary for me to go back and look at all of your comments, i believe you. Maybe you was the only one who said that noises are normal on these devices :+1:

I was so confused about it, because i also asked to other people if they had the same issue as me and it was always answered by NO. Next time I will believe you immediately :+1:

I’ve been enjoying my device since i know that the noise are normal. But they only became normal after my device was inspected by GD. Before that, i was most of the time told that it was because of the wrong settings. In fact, i had also tested settings whit recon at 0. But when SC2 was launched, there was a bug with rFactor2 and Raceroom, wich felt like recon at 0 while it was set to 10. That issue was fixed with the earliest update of Thrue Drive. As i said months ago, i’m not only on iracing and iracing has never made trouble.

Everything is good now

1 Like

Nicsos: Glad you’re enjoying it, it makes for a very immersive experience.

As always, my go-to sim for testing anything related to DD wheels is iRacing. Over many years, I have found the least amount of changes wrt ffb after quarterly updates, and David Tucker over there, one of the main FFB Devs, is really good at communicating changes, as well as applying fixes if the community discovers anything untoward.

That’s why I always test there, if it works there but have issues in other sims, the last place I will look at is the DD wheel. And that goes for all DD wheels, btw.

I am not that experienced with other sims, we have a bunch of really good guys on this community who can best advise you on settings for those going forward, but we also have a bunch of very good technical guys who can guide newcomers to DD wheels.

Sometimes I have to remind myself I have been there too, but anyway, I was involved from day 1 with the development of Ioni/Simucube1 and 2, so I understand these wheels better than most. Hence my feedback to you earlier.

Like you said though, now you have peace of mind, so I wish you an enjoyable experience, feel free to visit and share your experiences and feedback, that is how GD Devs keep developing and improving on these wheels.

Cheers,
Beano

The explanation on that mechanical noise.
https://www.simucu.be/post/simucuebe-2-quick-tips

Something I’ve never heard on Small Mige I had for 5 years. And my SC2 Pro not as loud as yours, guess that varies from unit to unit or is SC2 Ultimate specific.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Andrew: I have had it on each and every servo motor I have ever tested, including my big AKM Bogeyman, AKM52/3/4, 64, 65, as well as 5 or 6 different size Mige servos, M10010 and M15015 amongst those…

Settings, as well as final inertia, including wheel, QR, button-box and servo-shaft itself, all has a very big influence on how your motor will sound, compared to someone else’s . Sturdiness of your rig, how/where the displays are mounted, even your seat and pedals, also add to this.

As a simple example, you will not find a better, smoother servo, than the Utimate, for DD wheels. My rig must weigh 140+ kg, and it is an absolute study in rigidity - yet, when testing both my Pro and Ultimate servos, you can hear the chatter.

Go and watch my videos, you will hear it. Bogeyman is a lot less pronounced, as it has a very high inertia compared to SC2, thus is less active, on top of that, I am applying a fair bit of damping to manage the 38NM 1:1 torque levels… but when I really drive it in anger, or desperation, once my skills run out, you can hear it too.

On the Ultimate, a simple way to get rid of this is to reduce slew-rate to 0.1, add a bit of Damping, Friction and Inertia, and it is smooth like a rubber-band…

1 Like

Sure Beano, you are an expert on that.
Just saying that I do not have noise like that on my SC2 Pro in Assetto Corsa with these settings, which are quite details aggressive (but I like it this way).
Doesn’t Ultimate have higher res encoder, 24 bit Hiperface vs 22 bit absolute on Pro and Sport, that could contribute, just wild guessing.
And of course ball bearing tolerances across different units.

Ha, all good, Mate, no worries, just thought I’d cast a bit of light on it from my experience, as a lot of guys are wondering why theirs is making some noises, whilst others aren’t, but just so many factors to consider :slight_smile:

I doubt we will be able to wear out one of these during one lifetime, the way we use it. I have totally abused one small Mige for a number of years during Argon - Simucube 1 days, probably 3 years of hell, overdriving it on current ( to 25-28nm torque levels), and today, it still feels like the 1st day I got it from the box.

Of course, I have never had any servo failures, I am aware of a couple of the cheaper replacement 5k and 10k encoders failing, but never the servo mechanicals or electricals itself …

2 Likes

Ok, thank you Nicsos, truly appreciate it!

I like this forum & the information available here already, but it’s a response like this that REALLY makes it priceless. I have been searching high & low and this answer ends the quest for me :sunglasses:

Now I am looking forward to even more filters(thanks to you and your team’s hard work, Mika) and MOST OF ALL better FFB implementations in the sims themselves, as it seems to me the true next level for DD wheels will be coming by means of better source data in the first place.

So for any sim devs out there: PLEASE improve the FFB generators for DD wheels specifically. There is no other way we can have the correct feel for the hardness/softness of the tires/suspension/mechanical drive train. For DD we don’t want low frequency & too edgy data streams, as is probably required for most belt/gear wheel bases to feel it in the hand.
Prob. it would be nice if we could pick from multiple places in force calculations, so some can pick directly from the road, some can pick from the shaft only, some can pick from various points in suspension etc. & then we set some % for picking from each of those places to generate the final result. You probably already do something mostly like this. Maybe we could get to have simple FFB settings for it too.

Thanks again Nicsos, really appreciate your response to my question!

All sims use the same physics model for all wheels.
That will not and should not change.
There could be variation in gain for different wheel profiles, min force, damper, but that’s it.
Oh yeah, and AC added gyro primarily for DD wheels to help with oscillation.
SC2 has all these filters for a reason, use them.
What other sims can benefit from though is higher FFB refresh rate and similar to gyro in AC or dynamic damper in ACC feature, to help with oscillation. Attempts to fix it via other means result in overdampened setups, which are not as detailed or reactive.

What is “Start everything from scratch” button supposed to do?
Haven’t noticed any effect from using it.

Its supposed to delete all profiles and reset rest of settings back to default. But it might be that the function is currently disabled in SC2 firmware.

1 Like