Simucube 2 - Supplied USB cable

Are all supplied USB cables supposed to be the same?

I was just viewing some pictures from another user on the Virtual Racing forum that show the parts he received in his Pro package. It shows a USB cable with 2 ferrite cores attached. Link here : https://photos.app.goo.gl/hA2zyUZW6ZFpDTC2A

The one I received seems to be thinner and has no ferrites.

It might be something that the reseller has put in the box.

Thanks, Mika

Just to be clear, do you mean that GD doesn’t supply those cables and the cable supplied is left to the discretion of each supplier?

The default cable is included in the box.

Is the cable with ferrites as shown in the link above the default one, Mika?

I do not know that detail.

Thanks for your replies, Mika.

What I am trying to find out is if you think the cable I have should be ok in terms of eliminating the chance of EMI.

For reference…

Cable received by another user:

Cable received by me:

Quite a difference!

I know you have many more important things going on at the moment but is it something you or one of the team can look into at some point.

All I can assume is that either your supply chain changed somewhere in the process or the reseller might have changed it as you suggested earlier.

I know that’s not a solution but you can put some ferite cores on every cable. You can find them really cheap.

Thanks Loukas

I have just ordered some clip on cores and will give them a try.

It’s a shame that we are receiving different parts when this was supposed to be a unified system :thinking:

2 Likes

My usb cable supplied with the SC2 pro has ferrite cores and is highquality in general I would say. Its the same as in the first picture. (Simracingbay)

1 Like

Does anyone know if there is a particular spec for this cable? The supplied 1.8 mtr cable is too short for me, so I replaced it with a Ugreen 3 mtr Usb 2.0 A to B cable and it doesn’t work at all. No connection to the True Drive. Before I spend more money on another cable, I thought to check if I’ve missed something.
Thanks.

I’m assuming you haven’t missed something simple like having the emergency stop pressed.

I’m using a Ugreen 5 meter usb 2.0 A to B cable with no problems at all.

Are you able to bring the pc and servo temporarily closer together so that you can try the original usb cable to verify?

Hi Paul. The original cable works fine and I’m back using it again for now (it’s “straight-lined” across my rig). The Ugreen cable was causing a constant refresh of the USB bus. It’s really useful to know you have the same cable type, as it points to a faulty cable for me. Time to check out Amazon returns policy.

Glad you managed to nail down the problem :slightly_smiling_face:

Sounds like you’ve had some bad luck with the cable which is surprising as the Ugreen stuff has always been very reliable.

A quick Amazon return and you’ll be up and running in no time.

1 Like

I got a cable with ferrite cores too (SC2 Pro bought from Augury)

I got the same junk cable as Paul.
What is going on with this? Can anyone from GD clarify the situation on who is putting these cables in.
Are you unable to get supply of good shielded USB cables with ferrite cores, or just cutting cost down?
I got mine from DSD.

1 Like

Just ordered this as a replacement. This is what should be in the box, not some throw away.

3 Likes

These are good cables.
That is what I used to always supply with SC1 and earlier builds.
Of course the control side connector changed thru the different builds.

It does not make sense to try to save a few dollars on the USB cables to me. Start with a good quality one.

4 Likes

Just received my Simucube 2 Pro from DSD. Plug everything in and when I turn on true drive and it wanted to install new firmware, it kept getting frozen/not responde. Finally I plug in another USB B cable, luckily Heusinkveld sent me an extra one and that one worked right away. Have to agree the USB cable that is included is bad :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I also have non-ferite cable with my SC2 but for 2 weeks no problems at the moment.