Simucube 2 - Supplied USB cable

Going on the information provided earlier in the thread I can only assume that GD are placing a good quality, standardised USB cable into the box before it leaves the factory.

I feel uncomfortable thinking and saying this, but at this moment in time it’s looking as if some of the distributors are changing out that cable while others are not. I Hope I’m wrong about that.

The only other explanation I can think of is GD not being able to keep a steady supply at their end and so the cables change periodically depending on what they can buy in.

Some clarification from GD and the distributors would help to clear this up.

Not everyone will have the same issues.
There are so many things that affect noise on USB lines.
I wonder are people having noise issues with the USB cables supplied with the SC2, or are the cables just defective?
The function of the ferrites is to disrupt the noise frequency I think.

The Granite boys would be better to answer that question. To those who do not know, the guys at Granite are highly educated and VERY knowledgeable with motor control.:slight_smile:

The cable we are including as of now does not include the ferrite cores. Some of our distributors are changing them to ones that have.

2 Likes

I also want to ask for information, I have to place the simucube2 inside a formula 1 cockpit and maybe the supplied cable is short …

if I buy a longer cable, do I have to check something?

this in description is okay?

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B0777NX8PD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A 3 meter cable should be fine. I’m using a 5 meter cable with no issues.

Just try to make sure that the one you buy has some ferrite cores fitted to minimise any chance of interference. The cable in your link doesn’t look like it has any ferrites so I would suggest something like this:

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00P0FO0Y2/ref=twister_B07MF63W5V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying, Mika. Now at least people can check with their distributors directly to see what cable they will include, providing they see this thread before their unit gets sent out.

The EMI certification was done with a cable without the ferrites, so they are not strictly required.

1 Like

People are now more likely to get EMI issues with the sheer amount of equipment that’s now available, especially with the advent of DIY motion systems like the SFX-100 which has become more and more adopted by high end wheel users.

I think it’s more of a case of users wanting to safeguard their SC2 from outside interference rather than the other way around :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for clarification Mika.
I don’t think this is just missing ferrite cores, the cable itself does not seem of the good quality, pretty thin with poor shielding, I usually avoid that kind in my systems.
For anyone looking for a longer cables, you can grab good quality MediaBridge or Ugreen without cores, and just fit ferrite chokes.
5mm is standard USB, guess around 7mm for thicker one with good shielding. Or you can get a set of different sizes to see which one fits and may be use the rest for other needs.

I can confirm that the Ugreen cables come with a built in ferrite on each end. I don’t know why they don’t show that in their advertising but I’ve bought quite a few of various lengths over the last few years (exactly the ones in your link) and each one had them.

1 Like

Super, thanks Paul, ordered one. Man, I am gonna have lots of USB cables laying around. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also received a standard one without ferrite core. No issues so far. Same for the Heusinkveld Sprints btw. Will order some proper cables anyway. :slight_smile:

hi guys, I need to get a new usb cable for my SC2 Sport, is that any good?
does anybody have other suggestions?

thanks

Difficult to say, these random-brand cables can be all over the place.

If you can find a cable with integrated ferrite for added EMI protections, then that would be the best solution.

1 Like

That’s the same Ugreen cable I’ve been using for the last year. It comes with ferrite cores at each end and I’ve had zero problems with it :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I’m using the Tripp Lite cable linked above, and it works perfectly. Used a 6’ cable for the SC2, a 3’ cable for HE Sprint pedals, and ran them into a Tripp Lite industrial hub hard-mounted underneath my pedal deck.

1 Like

hi guys, posting here because i don’t want to start a new thread. so is there any harm to connect sc2 to a pcie usb 3.0 expansion card port - using a usb 2.0 cable - and not to the main mobo usb port? asking this because i experienced some weird ffb lately, which i solved by moving the sc2 connection from the mobo to that expansion card.
for reference, the card i got is this :

thanks