SC 2 Pro - Losing FFB mid corner for 1-2 sec

This is complete nonsense and for sure not required.

Hehe, that’s why I said “unlikely”. It would not be the first time some not possible situation affect something in a weird way.

But hey, thanks for putting me in order and stop me from spreading false, useless info.

Alright…here’s the latest…

I have completed a complete and clean reinstall of Win11 – no bloatware – only essential apps and drivers.

I have only loaded 5 software programs/apps – all necessary to run iRacing: iRacing, SimHub, Heusinkveld and Gomez Wheel Control Apps and SimuCube True Drive.

I installed iRacing fresh/clean – no old files or settings – all from a clean slate.

I ran a test drive in iRacing and calibrated inputs without any issues.

HOWEVER…when I went to run lap1 – the SC Base cut FFB exiting the pits for 1-2 sec, and again in T5 where it has been happening all along.

I attempted a 2nd test drive – this time with ‘High Torque Mode’ disabled – and while the FFB didn’t cut out initially, the wheel felt way too light/loose for my profile and driving style. I was initially on a 6.3 ‘strength’ setting – and when I increased it to 10.3 to get more feel into the wheel – the base started to cut the FFB again…this time more frequently – even on straights before I got to the corners.

So given that the FFB cuts when in High Torque mode or when I increase FFB/Strength in low-torque mode – what does that tell you?

I really suspect the issue is a SC hardware problem at this point – I’ve only installed clean/fresh software – latest versions/drivers. So that suggests it’s not software, doesn’t it.

I have nothing else I can try to fix it… Could really use some ‘customer support’ from Simucube at this point…

Please! :pray:

Hands off detection is still off?

Yes. Confirmed OFF. I also ran a 2nd test with the in-game FFB/Strength settings reduced to 4.3 strength = 79.1 NM…that didn’t work either.

For reference, here are the [Force Feedback] settings currently in App.ini file in iRacing:

[Force Feedback]
alwaysRestartFFB=1 ; Always restart force when updating it, set to true if wheel goes limp after a while
calibUsingRawData=0 ; Use raw joystick position over windows calibration data when detecting new joysticks
centerSpringPct=-1 ; Percent (0-100) of static centering spring force to apply, -1 is off. Not reccomended for use.
damperMode=0 ; Set damper effect type 0 = Damper 1 = Inertia 2 = Friction
damperSaturation=10000 ; Set damper saturation from 0 to 10000
dampingSliderSetsFriction=1 ; True if damping slider adjust friction effect, false to adjust wheels built in damping effect
debounceSeq_Ms=80 ; Add delay in Milliseconds to sequential shifter to reduce double shifts
disableAutoCenter=1 ; Turn auto center off on all force feedback devices
displayLinearInNm=1 ; Display the force level in peak Nm when using the linear mode
enableFFB360HzInterpolated=1 ; If available send full 360Hz force feedback to wheel via an interpolation call.
enableHotPlug=1 ; Set to 0 to turn off usb hot plugging in case you have usb disconnect issues
enableRunawayProtection=1 ; Detects when a wheel is moving too fast and cuts FFB forces.
enableWheelDisplay=1 ; Enable the use of steering wheel displays
enableWheelDisplayBlink=1 ; Enable the display lights to blink when at the rev limit
FFBUseSimpleMinForce=0 ; 0 - Use smoothed min force, 1 - use old sharp min force
forceNoiseSuppression=0 ; Remove noisy joystick axis, even if they are calibrated by hand
forceResetBeforeStartup=0 ; Force a reset of the whole FFB system every time we create or destroy a FFB effect
initOnlyNewDevices=1 ; Set to 0 to force all devices to reinitialize when a device change is detected
joyEnableVibrateAllXInputWithPedal=0 ; Vibrate all XInput devies when pedals vibrate, or just the one used to steer
joyEnableVibratePedal=1 ; Enable physics based vibrations in some pedals
joyEnableVibrateThrottleWithPedal=1 ; Enables throttle vibration when brake pedals vibrate
joyEnableVibrateWheelWithPedal=1 ; Enables wheel vibration when pedals vibrate
joyVibratePedalMaxPct=60 ; Maximum threshold of lockup when pedal vibrates at 100%.
joyVibratePedalMinPct=8 ; Minimum threshold of lockup before pedal starts to vibrate.
reinitFanatecWheelDisplay=0 ; reinitialize the fanatec wheel display when reconnecting devices this may cause issues
resetWhenFFBLost=1 ; Attempt to reset device when force feedback interrupted by SteamVR or another application, may cause a momentary loss in steering
seperateXBox360Triggers=1 ; Set to 1 to seperate the XBox 360 joystick triggers into there own axes
smoothingFilterType=0 ; 0-slew rate limited filter or 1-boxcar filter.
steeringBumpStop_Deg=45.000000 ; degrees into bump stop before max force
steeringDampingFactor=0.050000 ; Damping factor adjust down if damping becomes unstable, defautlt to 0.05
steeringDampingMaxPercent=0.000000 ; Maximum amount of damping to apply, adjust this to set damping level, values between 0.05 and 0.2 are best, overriden by damping slider
steeringForceParkedPct=0.330000 ; Reduce FFB force by percent when parked, to help reduce oscilations

There was increased amount of FFB cutout reports when iRacing added this parameter in the summer last year. However, we never managed to repeat it. Can you adjust this to 0 and see how it reacts then?

And, it would be fantastic if you could drive any other racing game with similar force level to figure out if there is a same issue in general and not just iRacing.

Trying that now…unfortunately, I only have iRacing installed on this PC – it’s the only sim I run…stand by…

There is no misinformation Mika.
Stated exactly as it was. Original unit spec as printed on PSU is below what you ‘worked out’ with Phiphong.

Unfortunately, changing that setting in the App.ini file did not work. FFB still cuts out in Turns 5 and 6 in the same places at Road America…

Also, the wheel is not in motion when the FFB cuts out – it’s usually when I am holding a particular steering angle CONSTANT in a 90+ degree corner that is medium to high speed – so the wheel feels ‘fully loaded’…and then just cuts out…so nothing ‘dynamic’ or ‘kinetic’ from an input or motion standpoint…

that part is true, but your typical suspicion about things are just confusing for the OP. It is not possible that the power supply would cause this type of fault that would then recover on its own, as if the servo drive sees too low voltage, there will be an undervoltage fault announced in True Drive and that fault is not cleared without user cycling the e-stop button.

1 Like

Yes, when my psu was acting up on the Ultimate, it would be almost similar behaviour to OP, but I always had to reset by cycling power or e-stop. So a small, but significant difference at the end.

Surely an interesting one this.

Thanks for the explanation Mika, agree, community help can be more confusing than beneficial, but looks like support via official channel didn’t help.

@Andrew_WOT Yes, things have changed quite a lot in recent firmwares wrt procedures etc, and I haven’t been using my SC2 Ultimate much since Paddock came around, currently on the hybrid bogeyman setup, which is still using the old way of flashing and making sure I am using correct True Drive version.

Had some fun yesterday with old SC1 boards, and modern ways have told me how much things have moved on from those days :slight_smile:

Once I get to Portugal, I will switch over to the SC2 Ultimate again, so I can get on top of those basics again. Easy stuff, just need to sit down with it for a few minutes.

1 Like

It is relatively common practise that a PSU can deliver power for a short periods of time more than what is the nominal rating. Not all power supplies are like that but the ones that are designed so, can do it. The Phihong and later model from MeanWell can do it albeit MeanWell has shared official spec sheet what it can do. Phihong is and was customized for us based on our needs eventhough the specification sheet is not similarly openly available. So, as a summary, the Phihong power supplies with Simucube 2 Pro are operating under the original specs those were customized to operate at. Unless there is no evidence that the power supply (or any part thereof) is not working as designed, it is basically missinformation to say that the Phihong power supplies with SC2 PRO are not operating how it is designed to operate with Simucube 2 Pro.

Testing your base with another computer would be a practical way to see of it is related to the base or your setup.

we also have the same motherboard + 5800x3d , with a big mige simucube 1 and a simucube 2 sport but we needed to do a bios update to avoid some hiccups. I don’t know if you are comfortable enough to try to update your bios though.

Not arguing over verbiage, and perfectly aware of what you and Mika were referring to. We had long discussion about that a while back when people started posting pictures of new PSU and asking questions.
What I fail to understand which part of this statement you think is “misinformation”

R2 switched to single brick Phiphong model that was operating outside manufacturer’s original spec

Read Tommi’s post again.

Phihong power supplies with Simucube 2 Pro are operating under the original specs those were customized to operate at.

That sounds contradictory on its own, “original spec” and “customized”.
I’ll leave it there, we had plenty of broken spears discussing that to death on how and why the proper certification did not take place and why all consumer can rely as far as operating spec goes is just your word. Nothing on PSU box, no printed certificate included in the package.
You can’t even openly say if it’s 450W or 300W PSU.
Anyway linked threads have enough banter already, let’s move on, you have ditched that contraption of PSU already anyway.

it did.

The Mean Well PSU also has customizations just for us. The exact model number/ordering code is different from the manufacturer.