iRacing and Simucube 2

Hi Francesco. Your values are very similar to mine. Try lowering the TD force to about 12 Nw and then adjusting the iracing max force (between 30 and 50 Nw in my case). I have gained detail doing it this way using the entire ffb range that iracing shows.
Do not forget to adjust the wheel force to the same value of Nw that we have in TD (12 Nw).
A greeting.

1 Like

don’t see it anywhere

updated software, but no such EDIT field

After I didn’t play iRacing for more than 6 months, I wanted to try it again. I used my old settings, but it feels horrible. It is like pulling a big elastic band when turning in and it pulls very hard back. I can’t feel if my car oversteers nor understeers. I also tried some of the settings which were posted here. Same crap feeling. Turning down the overall strength in TD had no effect. At maximum strength it is the same. Can anybody with a SC2 sport please share his settings, so I can give it another try. Thanks.

I like Beanos Settings he posted some months ago:

Overall strengh 100%
Damping, Friction and Inertia all at 15%
Recon Filter at 2 or 3
Low Latency Filter at 8%

In iracing: max force 40-55Nm

Former Settings:

“Add” new profile, select “iRacing Simple Profile”

• do You RACE with a heavy and large (+2kg, +320mm) wheel?
    Yes - move Damping slider to “minimal Damping”
    No - move Damping slider to “raw”

• then click on “avanced Mode” Button and set your ultra low latency.

• Save, and just find your optimal forces between TD and iR Nm

1 Like

i thougt it was better to run 60/70 % in td then max force around
30/40 in iracing
any thought on this

60 % in TD makes crashes “safer” but you loose headroom. You are limiting your 25 Nm wheel to be a 15 Nm Wheel. Furthermore iRacing can produce ingame clipping when running low Nm values.

1 Like

Been testing some settings for the new Indycar iR-01. Give it a go, just ignore my actual torque/strength setting, i am using a very big servo…these feel good on open-wheelers in iRacing, give them a try.

You might want to test a different Recon Filter too, as said, I use a bigger/higher inertia servo…

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing those. Are you still using the settings posted above for the gt3? There have been many changes to the gt3 since the last build, and I wonder if this affects your true drive settings :slight_smile:

@Darkeing: You’re welcome.

I still use the earlier settings on GTE/GT3, perhaps made minor tweaks because of my large servo.

But for the original SC2, they will be a good starting-point for most, I would imagine. But as always, feel free to experiment, my settings might not be everyone’s cup of tea, especially as I normally run higher torque levels which impacts how the filters are behaving…

These I posted today can be used for all cars too, but I tweaked them specifically to tame the Indycars in iRacing, especially the IR18 and the new virtual car, the iR-01.

1 Like

22 Nw at 50%… new model or adapted for your high strength requirements?
And if so, 40A at full, I guess new power too.

@Morer: Ha, sharp eyes :wink:

My setup is non-standard, it’s a SC2 Ult board with special custom FW tweaks, allowing us to run it on my large mofo AKM65 servos.

The servo I am using on my rig is pumping a very healthy arm-ripping 45NM at 40A POS. For those totally certifiably crazy test-monkey Down Under sessions, I have another AKM 65 here, with a higher NM/A ratio (2.1 NM/A) doing 60NM at 40A POS. But it is to crazy for me, I am keeping it as a test-horse only. The 45NM model is my daily driver.

Doing special hardware fatigue testing on the controllers for Tero and team. The SC2 controllers are superb for this application. Hardware-wise these ones I have exactly what the commercial versions are using, but with specialty once-off programmed FW that allowed GD to set a few key internal parameters, including the 40A POS limit. That’s why I always say no other dd wheel on the market comes close to the quality and overhead capacity the SC2 offers.

I know it sounds like every other fanboy, but I have in-depth experience (even down to controller-level) of most dd wheels available. There are many claims from the suppliers, SC2 owners however will never have to wonder about the quality of what they own.

Trust me when I say, if I could not kill one of these in the last 2 years doing extreme testing, most likely no-one else will kill one ever. Other than premature /unexpected component failure due to manufacturing defects on component level, these things will run for decades in this environment.

2 Likes

If Granite Devices allow me to post these two pictures, it will show you the size of the servo. I have designed a custom aluminium adapter plate to mount the standard SC2 Ultimate controller to my servo, this one the 60NM version.

The one photo from behind will show how big the servo dia is vs the original SC2 housing. It is an absolute monster, with a bit higher inertia than the Sport/Pro and Ult, but provides me with a bit additional mechanical damping, hence me often running my damping settings a bit lower than on the genuine SC2 servos.

4 Likes

ok, nice setup.
I understand then that you always prefer mechanical damping instead of forced with software in high force settings. Is this applicable to medium force settings like 12 Nm that I use for example in my simucube pro? I use a sparco p310 with ascher plate … not too much weight at the end, but even so I use little damping, like a 2 in TD, with more damping I notice the effects a bit dull and not very reactive. Friction at 7 and inertia at 9 … I suppose it depends on the tastes of each one, but I am not very clear if it is preferable more damping or more friction as I have in my setup.
Thanks for showing it.

Exactly what im looking for, the IR18 oscillates like crazy now I will test these and report back. The car feels incredible with the new updates, cant wait to run it this season.

@Kevin: Change the pinion gear from 8-tooth to 6-tooth in the setup option for the IR18 :wink: That will work well with my settings. Running the 8-tooth pinions in both the DW12 and IR18 is broken, it causes severe oscillations in those cars. I have raised this point several times with the Devs over there, but it has not yet been fixed.

Raised it with Joel (Dev of the new iR-01 virtual car) yesterday, let’s see if he will fix it, as also the ffb on the new car is 50% to high. This is the real problem with the iRacing Indycars, hopefully one day it will be corrected. For now, just run the smaller/slower pinion gear.

@Morer: Yes, you can say that I always prefer mechanical over electronic damping. But it anyway also depends on the wheel you’re using, as they have different inertias due to weight differences. But I don’t care really much about adding heavier wheels, they don’t impact nearly as much on dd wheels as on belt/gear wheels. If you prefer to run your settings the way you do, keep it there, if that’s what works for you, no hassles.

There’s not really any right or wrong way here, you set it how you prefer, that’s what matters. My settings mat be the best for me, but they might be terrible for you. Run what works for you.

In the beginning, 2014 when I started working with Tero on the GD dd wheels solutions, I preferred the noisy ‘spiky ffb so many around here like. Over time though, I moved to a softer feel, as I can tell better what the car is doing, with much better feedback from tyre-behaviour etc.

That much noise and spikes dilutes the real effects for me, hence the settings I am running. But this is the beauty of these SC2 wheels, you can set it as you :+1:

Here are my current settings that I am using with the SC2 Pro… I am not sure how close a sport is but I am so far relatively happy with them for all cars… though I am still tweaking here and there it is becoming less often…

I run 42Nm on Max force in iRacing.

5 Likes

30/40 in IRacing is OK for about 75% of the cars in iRacing as they will not clip… The iRacing Max Force number indicates the Nm that the telemetry output of ANY car will be clipped to 100% output. So if you have a car that say outputs 45Nm in the middle of the corner and you have your iRacing Max force to 30Nm then any signal from 30 - 45Nm from the car will be clipped to 100%.

So the way to solve this is to figure out your specific output which is the TD Maximum Output / iRacing Max Force… so if you are running 17.5Nm (70%) in TD with 40Nm max force in racing your Specific output will be .4375:1… now since you have a car that you want to be able to say reach 45Nm Max Force so you get that extra 5Nm of Telemetry output to get the same relative feel at the wheel you would need to multiply .4375 * the new Max Force which = 19.6875 this is not the new TD maximum force required to allow for the same relative strength at the wheel but allowing for the headroom for the additional strength car… NOT that higher strength car WILL feel heavier as well it is 5Nm stronger at the wheel. generally though with iRacing if you set Max Force to 60-65Nm you will have enough headroom for all cars and at the above specific output that you would not quite be able to reach those numbers but you could get to 57.14Nm Max Force with TD at 100%

2 Likes