Assetto Corsa Competizione and Simucube 2

It’s an interesting debate.

I’ve only recently come back to using sims after an 8 month break and it’s really surprised me how much the ffb feels differently to how I last remembered it. On the whole, I’ve found it to feel much less realistic than I last thought.

That got to me to wondering if I had just trained my brain to get used to all of the old settings I had and stuck with, to the point where those felt realistic for me. Once I got to that point, any changes that were introduced felt unrealistic up against what my brain perhaps has become accustomed to. Who knows… :thinking:

Coming back to it, for me personally, the one weakness with ACC is what happens when the car enters a slide, especially in a high speed corner. It feels as if the car gets frozen in time and the best thing I can do is to release all inputs and wait while the physics do their thing. It’s probably a personal perception thing but it feels as if high speed slides are on a kind of predetermined, in game timer that you shouldn’t steer against or you’ll end up in a big tank slapper. I’d be interested to know if others get that same feeling.

I gave Panschoin’s settings (mixed with a few of my own small preferences) a back to back comparison against the ones I’d been using for a very long time and came away preferring his. I can feel the onset of a slide earlier and counter steering against that doesn’t give such a strong snapback that sends the car in the opposite direction.

Nice job and thank you for posting those :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s always interesting and educational to get peoples thoughts on the subject.

Here’s what I have at the moment:

5 Likes

Wow we are totally on the same boat!!:joy: I couldn’t have said it better myself. I am 100% with you and thank you for sharing your thoughts! The key to solving the problem was to decrease dynamic damping and then find ways around it. Initially I didn’t want to touch this as it is supposed to be the norm at 100, but honestly why???
Anyway my settings were just a baseline and I am sure can be optimized a bit more with further testing, I ll definitely try your variation…

3 Likes

This is very interesting. I noticed that you both have very different Direct Input Effects settings. I thought that in ACC DI effects were not used?

The DI Damping is supposed to be active while the car is stationary. I think the rest DI are inactive so it shouldn’t I guess make a difference. Tbh I haven’t tried the DI damping at 100 instead of 0, but I think it shouldn’t play a role while moving… I will test it though later on today

just tested your sets Panschoin and honestly, i don’t know ffb must to be but it appears very very strong to me. I don’t know how you can drive long time with these settings. Especially with recon filter at “1”, it’s harsh, grainy on kerbs at Nurburgring with 488 evo.
I’ve tested with my cube controls gt pro zero 300mm wheel : which diameter is yours ?

BUT BUT : I find that we can feel the front axle of the car perfectly well with these settings, i can have a better control of the car and make less mistakes.

So i reduce gain to 60, up recon filter at “3” and it’s more playable to me. There’s a way to feel better acc force feedback, you are right.

1 Like

Thank you and of course you should adjust the strength to your liking, that is perfectly fine. I have a 34-33 cm d-shaped wheel attached on an Ascher b16l (700gr i think) so my setup might have more tolerance for vibrations and higher strength. My only tip to you would be to leave the recon at 1 and decrease the road effects to let’s say 5 or less and maybe if needed increase also a bit the static force reduction. In any case play a bit with the settings and see what is the best and right solution for you. My settings were posted to just give to people a different route to explore.

1 Like

thanks for your recommendations and tips Panschoin.
I play since 2h with your settings and with more practice, it appears more ans more clearly that your ffb is a very good base…near a game changer.
i think, the only thing i would like to change for my taste is the feel at position 0 of the wheel : a little too strong for me. If i would like a little more loose at center : which effect you recommend to change ?

1 Like

Have you guys tried getting rid of Dynamic Damping completely?
If SFR indeed works as a snapback tamer, that’s a total game changer. Still need to test these findings myself.

1 Like

To be honest i didn’t go that far to turn this off cause somehow i was hardwired that i need to have dynamic damping in the mix. So all this was balanced in a way and it feels quite ok. As the other people said already it is a definite improvement and for me it is night and day from before to the point i think now i want to play with ACC. These settings came from a 2 hours session i had yesterday just trying to make this thing feel ok somehow realistic. I believe with more testing these settings can get better. So yes please do your testing and check also if reducing more dynamic damping makes sense by playing with SFR.
The more i think of it gyro implementations might make more sense for belt or gear driven wheels which account for at leat 95% (maybe) of the simers. Maybe there is no real incentive for companies to invest time and effort to make it right for the few DD wheel owners (just a guess)…

Thanks mate, its good that you share your experience so other people with the same tastes/issues can read about it. Iro loosing the center, i am afraid you will lose also details around it (i.e. early grip loss feel, etc.). I am not sure but maybe you can try dropping the in game minimum force to 0 from 1 (hopefully that should do it). If that doesnt work for you, maybe you can increase the DOR both in game and in TD to lets say 900 degrees (not sure at all about this). Another idea could be to increase the torque bandwith limit to unlimited in TD (very wild guess). If none of this work, then as a last resort you could try reducing the gain and increase the TD strenth. If you have the SC Ultimate you could also play with the gamma filter (i have the pro so cant really say…).

1 Like

It was introduced in AC first specifically with DD wheels in mind as belt driven already have natural damping to deal with oscillation and snapback.
And current devs recommendation is to use 100% for DD wheels and lower number or not at all for conventional belt/gear driven ones.

If you play AC, modders have tried to improve stock Gyro, alternate implementation is available with CSP/CM. It’s a mixed bag, as while it helps with wheel recovery, snapback can be on aggressive side and oscillation needs extra external damping that can lead to the loss of overall fidelity. May be your findings with SFR can help there too.

1 Like

Yeah i know, but for me it just doesnt work…it just kills the capabilities of DD…

Oh yes that was on my mind as well. I dont know what happened to me the last few months but i cant stand AC as well, while previously i was loving it. Suddenly it feels so unrealistic to me with whatever gyro i tried csp or otherwise. So indeed my next step was to see if the same idea can be applied there as well. Also i am currently doing some further testing with ACC and in few i am about to post some more hardcore settings (not sure if they would be ok for long races). I feel like that the SFR can indeed act as snapback tamer but it needs ULL that somehow actually smooths out the rebound forces, so its a combination. I was able to lower down a bit dynamic damping as well and the TD damping so oversteer and grip loss can be better controlled. I think that dynamic damping is still useful and cannot totally be turned off. Anyway, have you had to chance to test?

Further to my yesterday settings these are some more hardcore ones if you guys are up to. They give better slip detection and oversteer control

Dont know if im wrong, but Dynamic Damping works in conjunction with DirectInput Damping effect, right?

No, it’s using Constant force, doesn’t need Damping at all.

Finally got a chance to play with these settings, didn’t use ‘hardcore’, just one with DD at 20%.
Was testing with Maserati GT4 on Zandvoort, car doesn’t have any TC at all and this twisty track is really good for testing understeer/oversteer and grip/no grip transitioning.
Unfortunately even with SFR at 25% the spiky snapbacks were still present, interesting that seems like on moderate to slow wheel return speed SFR was catching and slowing it down but for quicker ones it was failing to activate and I was still getting harsh wheel jerking, suspect it has some duration timer before it kicks in.

Using SFR though works almost like gamma, allowing to boost lower forces with higher overall gain and making FFB feel more detailed. It works quite well even at 100% DD, in fact I liked that combo more than DD 20%.
ULL, still not so sure about it, effect from it was not so obvious to tell for sure if it helps or harms things, so in the end I just turned it off.
Still contemplating if using SFR is a good thing, on one hand it adds immersion, on the other hand breaks linearity of response intended by physics engine, but same thing can be said about Road Effects.

EDIT:
SFR 15% with these settings really kicks FFB up a notch or two. ACC is just too zealous with REALLY loading tires in turns making wheel super heavy. With SFR the ride is much more joyful with more informative corners, you can really play with throttle to keep the car on the edge.
Thanks Pancshoin, EsxPaul :+1: :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

ACC wiki with links to Aris’s explanation of some FFB settings.

3 Likes

High Dynamic Damping is still not my cup of tea but it’s cool that out of all this you improved your settings. Conversing and sharing ideas/experiences is always helpful. I mean even for myself it took me almost 2 years to realize that SFR can be a powerful tool :joy:.

I think that is where ULL comes into. Obviously cannot explain it as it a mystery how this thing works, but it seems to accelerate in this instance the application of SFR smoothing out in a way the spikes. I was sort of getting this feeling you are describing but started incrementally adding ULL and seems that is doing the trick even on quick tight corners. Also, in the more hardcore setting (basically less damping in TD and in game) leading to quicker wheel reactions, i had to slightly increase ULL. I cannot say that it is 100%perfect, but it is a 95% and lot better for me than before.

Anyway the important thing is that now we have improved settings (either with dynamic damping or not) that people can check, adjust/improve and have a better experience with ACC.

1 Like

Awesome settings!
Thanks a lot for the effort, it was already better recently, but for the first time I am actually truly enjoying ACC :grinning:

1 Like

I think you might be right, and after some restarts I almost got rid of it.
Looks like ACC FFB needs complete race restart to fully take settings either from in game changes or TD.
My observation though that it is not much of a problem with Dynamic Damping per se, but with disproportionally high loading in corners. And SFR fixes this nicely even with DD at full 100%.
With everything else, the effect from changes is quite subtle and subjectively not always positive.
For myself as a long time user of AC/ACC Gyro/Dynamic Damping, SFR alone balances things to almost perfection.
And another thing, looks like reduced snapback effect is not a direct function of SFR but the result of reduced loading in corners. Lower the force, lower the counterforce. So there is no magic with hidden dampening.

BTW, SFR also improves things in AC, will keep the same 15% in my AC profile as well.

Thanks for digging this up. :+1:

3 Likes