Assetto Corsa Competizione and Simucube 2

Stepped back into ACC after a long hiatus to try the above settings, and it still feels so numb to me. I have almost no idea what the car is doing even with gain at 35. I wonder if I need to delete my user folder and start from scratch or something? I want to like this sim, but I continue to fail to find settings that make it feel like an engaging driving experience :confused:

I am running in-game at 65% and it feels ok to me.
Maybe the higher in-game gain setting makes some difference?

I knew you were amazing, but I am even more amazed that you use 65% gain with ACC, especially since I’m assuming you set your wheel at 100% (25nm)? Anyway, I tried increasing the gain, and it definitely helped the feel overall, but the side effect is that the wheel feels way too heavy in low speed corners. I think I can used to it though, so hopefully that’s the case and then I begin reducing the gain overall as I train myself to eventually end up at a somewhat realistic overall force setting. I just wish I could make every sim feel like rFactor 2 haha. Thanks for your reply and assistance.

Have you tried adding some Static Force Reduction?

I usually have it set somewhere in the range of 10-15% with ACC to get a good balance of weight between straights and corners.

Hehe,

I wish, but no, for ACC I don’t run the wheelbase at 100%, but lower. It was based on a friend’s advise to exactly do the opposite and instead of high TD and low in-game, do higher in-game(~65%) and lower TD. I have not tested the 2 ways against each other, so it could be just the FFB improvements by Kunos kicking in, just happened to have not touched the sim for a while and then doing as per that advise and it felt ok for me then :slightly_smiling_face:
Maybe using static force reduction on top helps as @EsxPaul points out, I don’t remember if I have it or not.

Try TBW unlimited and lower TD Damping and Friction, can remove them altogether as ACC has Dynamic Damping. Can spice things up a bit by adding 10% or so of Road Effects.
I use about 45% in game gain and 100% in TD, but it’s personal preference.

In general while ACC force feedback is quite informative on what is going on with the car, it’s more muted than something like AMS2 or even AC, give it some time to attune to it.
I’ll try to find my settings to share.

EDIT: Here

3 Likes

Wow! it’s a very strong ffb settings according to me.

Well I haven’t really played ACC for a long time and decided today to see whats up with the updates and stuff. Now I realized that my old settings were totally off, ether the sim changed over the last year or my tastes changed (or even both). Anyway tried as well all the posted settings and realized that with TC off it is impossible to feel and catch slides or do corrections as counterforces are off for me. Most of the times I felt disconnected with the car and that there is a serious lag from the wheel to communicate what is happening and when it did the forces where either too strong or soft… So, I spent 2-3 hours trying to find out what is happening. I realized that Dynamic Damping at 100 is the main issue (although I know this the suggestion by Devs). To cut the long story short these are the settings I came up with which for me are good enough to give me the feedback I need to feel and control the car. Tried them with the M6, 488 and Maclaren so they should be good for all. Check them out to see if they make any sense to you. Cheers!

2 Likes

So you just substitute in game gyro/dynamic damping with external filter and ULL.
Not sure personally that it is better, but it’s a standard way of dealing with oscillation and aggressive SAT snapback in titles that don’t have that feature.
May be try without any damping and ULL in TD and just try lowering in game Dynamic Damping little by little, you can come to the same if not better results.
But in the end there is no right or wrong approach, as long as FFB gets where you like it.

2 Likes

Exactly…for me at least the dynamic dumping is not working well as it is making the rebound forces too slow and vague and i still find the snapback stronger than it should even with dynamic damping at 100. As i said, turn off all TC’s and see if you can drive like that, i just cant as i dont get any proper feedback from the wheel for early detection and proper response on slides and grip loss. Anyway I don’t see what would be the issue or drawback to use the proprietary filters of Simucube developed specifically for our bases instead of a game filtering system that is supposed to cover all wheelbases. At the end of the day the important is thing to get the desired force feedback feel. As always ffb is subjective. If you see my last posted setting (months ago) I was ok with dyn. Damping 100, now i just cant stand it….

Of course i started like that but it was not cutting it, i had to add the static force reduction to balance the strong counterforces and give it ULL in order to make the wheel more lively.

I tried various combinations including slew rate, various dynamic damper values. I even had to add minimum force 1% although again this is ill advised for DDs. This combination for me is looking good and more realistic. I understand that this might not be for you as i think we have different tastes, but the purpose of my post was for people who are not satisfied already with the existing posted setups.

3 Likes

Surprised that it works this way as Static Force Reduction is supposed to lower force in long corners, not snap back counterforce, if that’s what you meant.
And ULL is a bit of a mystery on how it works, some predictive algorithm to lower oscillation without too much dampening, not increase liveliness per se, but yeah, lowering damping can as a result make wheel more lively.

Actually i am quite aware of the theory and i had the same impression on these filters. But basically i stole the SFR idea from EsxPaul’s post a few days ago and the ULL was the last thing that came up while experimenting. I usually prefer to use the less filters possible, but it cannot always be the case.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting debate.

I’ve only recently come back to using sims after an 8 month break and it’s really surprised me how much the ffb feels differently to how I last remembered it. On the whole, I’ve found it to feel much less realistic than I last thought.

That got to me to wondering if I had just trained my brain to get used to all of the old settings I had and stuck with, to the point where those felt realistic for me. Once I got to that point, any changes that were introduced felt unrealistic up against what my brain perhaps has become accustomed to. Who knows… :thinking:

Coming back to it, for me personally, the one weakness with ACC is what happens when the car enters a slide, especially in a high speed corner. It feels as if the car gets frozen in time and the best thing I can do is to release all inputs and wait while the physics do their thing. It’s probably a personal perception thing but it feels as if high speed slides are on a kind of predetermined, in game timer that you shouldn’t steer against or you’ll end up in a big tank slapper. I’d be interested to know if others get that same feeling.

I gave Panschoin’s settings (mixed with a few of my own small preferences) a back to back comparison against the ones I’d been using for a very long time and came away preferring his. I can feel the onset of a slide earlier and counter steering against that doesn’t give such a strong snapback that sends the car in the opposite direction.

Nice job and thank you for posting those :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s always interesting and educational to get peoples thoughts on the subject.

Here’s what I have at the moment:

5 Likes

Wow we are totally on the same boat!!:joy: I couldn’t have said it better myself. I am 100% with you and thank you for sharing your thoughts! The key to solving the problem was to decrease dynamic damping and then find ways around it. Initially I didn’t want to touch this as it is supposed to be the norm at 100, but honestly why???
Anyway my settings were just a baseline and I am sure can be optimized a bit more with further testing, I ll definitely try your variation…

3 Likes

This is very interesting. I noticed that you both have very different Direct Input Effects settings. I thought that in ACC DI effects were not used?

The DI Damping is supposed to be active while the car is stationary. I think the rest DI are inactive so it shouldn’t I guess make a difference. Tbh I haven’t tried the DI damping at 100 instead of 0, but I think it shouldn’t play a role while moving… I will test it though later on today

just tested your sets Panschoin and honestly, i don’t know ffb must to be but it appears very very strong to me. I don’t know how you can drive long time with these settings. Especially with recon filter at “1”, it’s harsh, grainy on kerbs at Nurburgring with 488 evo.
I’ve tested with my cube controls gt pro zero 300mm wheel : which diameter is yours ?

BUT BUT : I find that we can feel the front axle of the car perfectly well with these settings, i can have a better control of the car and make less mistakes.

So i reduce gain to 60, up recon filter at “3” and it’s more playable to me. There’s a way to feel better acc force feedback, you are right.

1 Like

Thank you and of course you should adjust the strength to your liking, that is perfectly fine. I have a 34-33 cm d-shaped wheel attached on an Ascher b16l (700gr i think) so my setup might have more tolerance for vibrations and higher strength. My only tip to you would be to leave the recon at 1 and decrease the road effects to let’s say 5 or less and maybe if needed increase also a bit the static force reduction. In any case play a bit with the settings and see what is the best and right solution for you. My settings were posted to just give to people a different route to explore.

1 Like

thanks for your recommendations and tips Panschoin.
I play since 2h with your settings and with more practice, it appears more ans more clearly that your ffb is a very good base…near a game changer.
i think, the only thing i would like to change for my taste is the feel at position 0 of the wheel : a little too strong for me. If i would like a little more loose at center : which effect you recommend to change ?

1 Like

Have you guys tried getting rid of Dynamic Damping completely?
If SFR indeed works as a snapback tamer, that’s a total game changer. Still need to test these findings myself.

1 Like