Assetto Corsa Competizione and Simucube 2

It was harder for me to find the sweet spot when i had to tune 2 values. So i Just had the gain at 100 and had only the value of the car which for me at least yielded better results. I don’t reccomend my settings but they work for me at least. After tuning those values the only thing that is on my way for better times in acc is the setup of the car. To give you an example Mercedes amg gt3 2020 in spa is far better for me with the safe setup rather than the aggresive. But if you make a custom setup it will be even better. So ffb settings aren’t always the problem when something seems off. With safe setup i could go flat out on la rouge when with the aggresive it was a mess.

1 Like

The journey finding the better settings continues. Stealing ideas here and there from @EsxPaul, @Andrew_WOT & @Loukas_Bourdas I came up with the

They seem to give better feeling and connection to the car especially during countersteering, grip loss and driving at the limit. If you guys are up to give it a try. You may adjust gain and TD strength to your liking if you find my values too much.

A big thanks to the people in the forum sharing experiences and ideas!

3 Likes

For the quick snap back issue it is something in the character of the SC2 use Slew rate to slow the initial reaction of the wheel. I am not sure how much you will need in Assetto (I use 3.25 in iRacing) as I have not been doing much playing with that title.

Thanks, I have tried playing with slew rate before, never worked for me, feels more like putting some thick insulating cover over nice speakers, it just kills fidelity, may be it’s better suited for lower res iRacing signal.

I can concur to that. Tried various values of slew rate with ACC… didn’t really help in anything for me…

1 Like

Very nice to see more people trying to brainstorm on how to improve things instead of simply relying on someone’s else settings or just changing random values and publishing it for everyone’s amusement.
Seems like at the moment we have two main philosophies of configuration approach:

1. One with Kunos Dynamic Damping (aka Gyro)
  2. Disabled or minimized Dynamic Damping compensated with TD filters

Panschoin is advocating the second approach, which works quite well, even that it does not leverage subjectively the best feature of Kunos FFB.
Just for completeness I am adding mine from yesterday tuning, they still rely heavily on Dynamic Damping but minimize all filters used in TD to get as much details as possible and also (thanks to Panshnoin and ExsPaul suggestion) compressing range by adding a bit of Static Force reduction which lets boost low level details even more.
There is no right or wrong way, in fact I don’t think that final results of both approaches feel that much apart from each other, for seasoned Kunos users the first option (with DD) might be more familiar to what they used to with perhaps a bit more “zing”.
Feel free to add more Recon if you feel details coming through too grainy.
As for TD Damper and Friction, I feel that with Dynamic Damping their use just doesn’t add much if any value, but as always it’s just a matter of personal preference.

EDIT: @Panschoin, spent some track time with your last settings. They are really good, very lively, I think you can just zero out DD altogether, it doesn’t seem to do anything at 3%, at least I haven’t noticed any difference.

6 Likes

BTW, ACC just like AC supports ffb posprocessing GAMMA and LUT.
Description here, except destination folder must be Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/config not cfg.
I’ve played with GAMMA today (lower than 1 value boosts low end/midrange), it works except for getting it right you need to adjust in game gain to be close to 100% by lowering gain in TD.
The reason is that it’s applied to 0-100% range, so if you don’t go over 50% gain in game you’ll fall on the boosted range. I don’t think it works as well as SFR though.
May be LUT can give more precise results, haven’t tried it.
Sample of lut shipped with AC, don’t use it as is, it’s called “crazy” for a reason.
0|0
0.1|0.9
0.5|0.1
0.8|1.0
1.0|0

2 Likes

That is a good summary and agree with you. People can use safely one or the other approach depending on their preferences.

I think lively is the word that exactly describes it. I was aiming for that but i can understand that this might not be the best for everybody. As far as the DD @ 3% i think it is adding something but for sure it is very minor.

1 Like

I have tried GAMMA in the past but i was using 40% gain, so it sucked…That is now a good tip and the LUT is another thing that i havent touched yet. More testing is due therefore both for AC and ACC :joy:.
Cheers!

1 Like

I’ve been doing my best to get to grips with ACC and have tried a few different settings from here.

The biggest drama for me is nothing you change gives you any indication that the car is beginning to slide in the rear. Usually the wheel would go light, but no matter what you change in TrueDrive or ACC, it still feels trash.

It’s a shame, because the rest of the FFB feels pretty decent.

I tried your settings - they work quite well, but gain at 50% seems crazy high! I had to bring it down to 32%.

Actually this was my main issue with my previous settings. Couldn’t feel the grip loss and once grip was lost there was no way to control and save it. With my latest settings from yesterday this is vastly improved, if you haven’t tried them give them a go…

something else to keep in mind is the fps. See this https://youtu.be/FGjKFXNBgxQ?t=104

i also read that unreal engine works best with capping fps. I tried with the ingame capping , capped lower than my lowest fps in multiplayer but i seem to get better results with rtss rivatuner. But i still need to do some testing to be sure of that.

3 Likes

Afraid this is per design. You can get data from rear via telemetry, transducers work very well communicating this.

2 Likes

I actually upped it to 60% last night as kept adding 10-15% per car.
Gain is so personal and mostly depends on the individual’s brawn. :muscle: :grinning:

Thank you all for posting your results. Some great suggestions to work with :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve been playing around with the suggestions and ended up at these:

One thing I did struggle to decide on was the relationship between in game Dynamic Damping and ULL in TD.

I went back and fourth between

and

Both options seem to do a similar job in taming oscillation when on a long straight but I couldn’t quite decipher if either of the two gave a better sense of grip loss and settled with DD at 100 and ULL at 0.

How did you guys feel about going one way or the other?

3 Likes

Million-dollar question, Paul.
I commented in my post that they get extremely close. I felt that no DD approach communicates road effects a bit better and wheel is slightly more reactive. But it’s all very subtle.
I will probably stick with DD as it’s what Kunos designed and recommend and it might be truer to what physic intends to communicate. But the fact that we pretty much can mimic it via TD filters is very impressive.

2 Likes

Slightly off topic as this isn’t ACC specific but I’m wondering about the meaning of “Static” in Static Force Reduction.

I’m sure there’s a perfectly good technical reason for including that word but would it not make more sense if it were called something more like ‘Corner Force Reduction’ or something similar, seeing as that’s the general result that is felt from moving that slider?

I know the effect is described very clearly in the user manual and am just thinking out loud here…

3 Likes

It’s a high pass filter, reducing the static or constant force.

1 Like

So Constant Force Reduction. :+1:
Still considering that all FFB in sim is essentially a Constant Force with very few exceptions, not very accurate.
I am also curios how it calculates when this reduction triggers, I mean it can’t be using max Nm as it rarely reaches it, is it duration of the effect?

1 Like