Assetto Corsa and Simucube 2

So I’ve been able to dial in feel pretty well thanks to all of the amazing info here. The truly impressive thing I’m finding about this base is that nothing feels alien or horrible when switching from sim to sim like with my previous belt driven base. In fact, once I dial in strength, I can jump from ACC to iRacing and then hop in a road car in AC and hit the nurb and things just feel great.

I am still dealing with one issue and I’ve had trouble searching for similar results, I hear a clunk coming from possibly the base when I crash or hit a hard bump, and I can sometimes feel it even when changing directions in high speed chicanes where there is lots of FFB because of grip. It seems to be exclusive to AC. Are these sounds normal? The sound is pretty jarring and the feel if very sudden.

I did two dozen practice laps in the mazda in Iracing this morning and have been slowly digging my teeth into ACC and I cant recall the feeling or sound there. Is this just normal DD stuff?

Edit: Earlier today I decided also to test AC with the stock profile and the ACC profile in TD and the sound remains.

Okay. I’m a moron.

The sound was coming from the QR, replacing the locking washers on the plate that connects directly to the button box fixed the sound. I used fanatec locking washers and one had broken, and another had come loose from vibration. It was apparently all tight enough that I didn’t notice unless under very high FFB.

2 Likes

Thats a side effect of the rock solid SQR :rofl:
If anything is not firm enough, you can feel it

No it’s not, this is why it’s only 5%, the feeling increases with number going up, dial to your liking, there is no one size fits all, or the only true setup.
I’ve just found that unexpected ULL side effect quite pleasing, YMMV.

has anyone here played with the effect of ULL exclusively?

i did this the other day and i don’t know if it’s placebo or what, but keeping everything else the same (including car and track grip level), the more ULL i dial in, the more understeer i get. 3-5% i can pitch the car and rotate; 17+ and the rotation is almost non existent.

There is a thread on this feature, where I suggest to move that question.

The bottom line is that we have no idea how it works and what it does except that it’s supposed to help reducing oscillation at lower damping settings, but looks that there is much more in that.

Hey @Andrew_WOT
apologies for the late response. when I read the explanation you linked (and I had read it before) it seems to be correct as far as what I’m looking for in AC (no lag and smooth, communicative non-peaky force feedback). I’m not very technical when it comes to Force Feedback and the various effects but I have tried a lot of things out and the peak/notch filter felt like the missing ingredient for me. If I use Torque Bandwidth Limit it feels like I lose detail. Increasing Force Reconstruction Filter or Ultra Low Latency Mode introduces a rubber-band type feeling and a loss of detail/precise control/communication from the of the car (to the point where I find it a lot harder to catch a slide). Turning the Reconstruction Filter “OFF” felt good (like my Accuforce which I used before the SC2 Pro) but seemed to introduce “lag” for lack of a better word. reducing Slew Rate limit felt the closest to what I wanted (before peak/notch filter) but this seemed to need to be changed for every car to make it feel “right”. i.e. less for street/vintage cars and more/nearly off for fast road/race cars (how you would expect the rack/tyres/ suspension to feel in vintage vs race cars for example)

anyway it’s all subjective. One thing I can say though, is I’m beating a lot of PBs with the above settings, so it’s at least right for me :slightly_smiling_face:

Some filters may have side effects, here’s is a good [explanation] (True Drive filters, what they do and how they interact) from community member of some of them including mysterious and not very well understood Notch Filter. You are picking up frequency and lower spikes in the range, it may work for what you want to accomplish by removing harshness in the area but can also cut some wanted info as it does not distinguish between spike or steady torque rise, it just cuts the torque in that range, so you can experience some “holes” in response.
No harm in trying all possible options to get FFB to where you like it, even if the filter was not designed for what you are trying to accomplishing (I myself was very surprised by how well low ULC works for AC), this is the only way to learn, unfortunately documentation does not cover every possible scenario and use case, hopefully over time GD with the help of community will fill it with more info to help us make more informed decisions on tunning feedback to our liking.
But for a Notch filter, my understanding that this is the first one to go as there are new options to help with oscillation issue the filter was supposed to address (sorry, I must have misspoken its intent in original response).
Please don’t take my response as any sort of criticism at your settings, was just trying to help, sharing that little knowledge I have (which is a dangerous thing, I know :smile:)

1 Like

I did my first drive with the sc2 pro yesterday w/ base settings which were meh. Felt better then csw v2 I’m coming from.Tried a few settings on here greatly improved the muted feel.

I saw you had a few post on here what settings did you settle on? For dealing with ffb clipping is adjusting ffb gain in the sim the best way?

Yes, if there is clipping, one should reduce the in-game FFB strength.

Spent a bit of a time today playing with different filters. Ended up with settings below.
Gives good amount of details with no perceived harshness.

• Added some Inertia, seems like Friction and Inertia need to go hand to hand to get balanced feeling, dropped Damping a bit as well. You don’t need as much with Friction and Inertia.
    So steering wheel feel, weight, reaction speed, slap back are all controlled via these 3 (Damping, Friction, Inertia).
  • Recon Filter is for smoothing out too fine (sharp) details. 3 seems to be a good balance for me but experiment to get smoothness to you liking.
  • TBW is Unlimited. No reason to drop information provided in the signal on the floor, smoothing it out via Recon can retain more details.
  • ULC at 5%, still a mystery to me (and everyone else) how it works, but it adds a bit of rubbery feeling on the top of everything else, almost like finer Recon.

My recommendation is to not just copy blindly someone else profiles, but try to learn the principles so you can tune it to your own liking. Some may prefer things smooth as a silk, some like as much details extracted as possible, there is no one size fits all recipe.
Using something as a starting point is totally fine, but don’t be afraid to change things around. It’s part of the fun.

7 Likes

am I looking for a good setting for FORMULA HYBRID 2019 Race Sim Studio?

anyone use this gorgeous mod?

Just released new version of CM supports hardware DOR lock for SC2 :smiley:

2 Likes

Andrew that is great news. I have been using the experimental version with the shaders bug, got it from emiljensen2 comment back in Nov 19. I can say that the hardware lock changed a lot for the better of course the overall FFB feeling. Together with your proposed settings 1 month ago used as a baseline, AC feels amazing. The level of realism, control, etc. are the best i have experienced ever with this title.

hello me the option is blocked on CM

what does it implies? also, I just read “simucube” in general, sure it works also for sc2?

How to enable it? I can’t tick it.

the release Andrew_WOT is referring went live 6days ago , but there are also some that came out some hours ago. You could try them. You can find em here https://github.com/gro-ove/actools/releases

Click on green arrow in menu to update.
You probably need licensed (paid) version as well.

I have the full version. Perhaps I need to check ‘update to non-tested versions’?

Never mind it’s working now.