Steering Wheels of the SC2 Community

Nice! How does the cord attach to the wheel? His photos don’t show any cord interface on the back. Is it hard wired (non-removable)?

I also love his custom rig. That C-beam is a great idea.

1 Like

Chord is jammed into main base of the rim for now. I will have a connector style attachment for next version of the rims as most custom rims have these days. The threaded aviation connector.

1 Like

Using a Fanatec universal hub with a Sport Line Racing Competition 300mm wheel.
I could not wait for the improved QR and had to order an adapter from Martin Ascher.

4 Likes

Very nice wheels here :smiley:

Sold my large MiGe couple days ago, new SC2 is comming monday.
BTW, Tomo from SimRacingBay is awesome :smiley:

1 Like

Currently working on an AMR GTE wheel, sitting there with (some) of his friends :star_struck:

5 Likes

I was also planning to do something with the f10a, as far as I know this is the first customized f10 used for simracing. Very nice.

Could not find it on FiTech site though, you have any more pictures ?

There was another guy @virtualracing.org forums that did a project with the sparco f10a, don`t know how far he came or if it was even completed
https://forum.virtualracing.org/showthread.php/91186-Add-On-Lenkräder-Sammelthread?p=2476653&viewfull=1#post2476653

Here are som pics:

Summary

2 Likes

Thanks for the pictures !
Can’t wait to order mine and start designing.
But not looking forward to drilling in the wheel plate… :sweat_smile:

Wow no response …so I have to think …not good.

I was busy. The wheel is absolutely terrific. Worth every penny.

1 Like

Second wheel.

5 Likes

3 Likes

5 Likes

What OMP wheel is that?

Its a TARGA 330mm with a Ascher Racing B16M-SC button plate

4 Likes

There are some beautiful wheels here. I’m looking for a “cheaper” solution to get me started until I can upgrade a month or so down the road. Is there anything in the $200 range? I have a sparco 383 from my IRL racecar I can re-purpose. Looks like ascher racing button plate is industry “standard” but even with using my own wheel, still a lot to spend while just purchasing the SC2 as well. I noticed sim racing bay also does a discount if you pair the SC2 with the ascher racing wheel which is nice. Anyone have regrets using a formula style wheel while still racing GT cars?

I posted a GT style rim for 185$ above. Works great.

I have 3 main wheels I use. The two race wheels are made by Personal/Nardi. The road car wheel is an Italvolanti Formel (hard to find these nowadays).

The blue Personal is the same model used in the 1995 F1 championship winning Benneton driven by Michael Schumacher. I modified it in a similar way that they modified his for the Monaco GP. If you do a bit of googling there’s an article out there that talks about the modifications.

Basically, what I did was removed the leather, trimmed down the foam underneath, and applied a thermoplastic rubber which is typically used for applying a customized grip for hand tools (like a hammer or axe). This material can be heated with a torch or heat gun, then becomes malleable and can be molded to whatever shape you want. It has a very nice feel when cool and warms to the touch fairly easily with a good balance between not being too tacky and not being too slippery. It works well with gloves too.

Using this for a race car steering wheel was all originally Ed Dellis’ idea. I think he currently still does this for the Indycar drivers, if not he’s the one who introduced this idea to Indycar and you can see that most of the Indycar drivers have custom molded grips on their wheels. I’m surprised they don’t do this for F1 cars currently, but possibly with the power steering those cars have now, maybe it’s not as critical as Indycars which have no power steering. Especially since the rubber does add some weight.

My wheel started like this. This was on my now retired Accuforce:

The areas that you hold were pretty thin for my hands. So I started working on it:

Cut the leather, trimmed the foam, then tied the leather back down with iron wire.

The initial application of the rubber:

It was still too thin, so I added a bit more material, then finished it with a bit of texturing and finger grooves:

Here it is complete:

6 Likes

@SuperMonaco_GP Answering you here, since it is more on-topic :slight_smile:

Gallery for the buttonbox : https://postimg.cc/gallery/1j71dsg3y/

Buttonbox + Sparco wheel (Both with fluorescent accents):

3 Likes

did you made it or have you bought it somewhere? looks really nice.
I am looking around for some bbox of good quality…