Skipped/delayed inputs from Simucube Wireless Wheel

Does anyone have a Cube Controls Wireless wheel? Do these drop out happen with them as well?

Yes I have, the wireless formula Pro wheel and it seemed to drop out if the battery wasn’t fully charged, so I would have to disconnect it and then reconnect it and it then seemed to be fine?

Thanks Jason, I think I will skip wireless for a while.

1 Like

Update here: i had no missing shifts for about 3 weeks, i raced almost everyday, so its quite a decent time. Today i updated to True Drive 2020.4 and missing shifts starts to appear again, and there were really a lot of them. In 1-hour race there were about 6-7 missed shifts. First 30 minutes went ok, then for 10 minutes i got 6-7 missed shifts and rest 20 minutes went ok again. I got a log from True Drive https://pastebin.com/310a3qCW

Does the problem go away if you restart the wheel?

I used to keep my wheel always on, recently I started turning it off after playing to see if it makes a difference. Now I get misshifts upon the first startup of the wheel. However, once I restart the wheel, misshifts don’t occur again in my session. Sometimes this happens during a race so I’d wait until a long straight to restart the wheel while driving, but if the track has no long straights then I’m screwed.

I’m still on 2020.3, guess I’ll hold off on 2020.4 to be safe.

Nothing related to wireless wheel signal processing was changed in 2020.4. Only some battery voltage measurements were added.

Your battery voltages drop into the 3.3v range at one point and 3.4v throughout the rest of the session. Did you replace the battery 3 weeks ago? It seems like the batteries are draining really fast in these devices and the voltage spikes all over the place when they get to a certain usage.

That is exactly what is happening. This battery model will still show 3.4 V when it is almost empty, but can drop out under load. Also, it will recover itself a bit if unused for a few days.

There might also be some variation on the quality of the batteries used. I still have my original battery that came with the B16M-SC and it shows 3.59 V after 10 months.

The latest firmware 2020.4 tries to put some additional load on the battery after a connection is made, and then measures the voltage with that load. Then it waits for the normal connection mode measurements, and shows a battery warning if there is more than 2% difference.

Just installed original battery, TD reports as 3.60v. It was with this battery that problems first appeared, so i will check how it will handle now

Hi Everyone.
I don’t think it is a Simucube or wheel wireless issue.
I have both precision sim engineering gt3 wireless that uses its own wireless and the ascher wireless.

I have had this happen with both systems.

No Bluetooth in windows.
Only my iPhone and what I am suspecting now is my Apple Watch due to its proximity to the signal antenna and being a wireless devices using Bluetooth to communicate to iPhone and 2.4ghz WiFi.

Any of you having the cut outs wearing an Apple Watch?

2 Likes

Interesting thought. And yes, interference can be a real problem with BT devices.

Surely though this must and been thought of when designing and Building these wheels as a lot of sim racers use Bluetooth, keyboard, mouse and headphones before even thinking about smart watch interference?

I removed all bluetooth and wireless devises from the room some time ago - it didnt help. Only WiFi still persists. And Martin Ascher assured that other devices do not interfere with wheel. My bold assumption would be that these are some grounding problems, since i didnt do any grounding work on my rig. I also heard that Heusinkveld pedals can interfere with DD wheels if rig not properly grounded

Grounding was more of an issues with OSW, mostly interference with the load cell controller HE is using, you could see raw output from the pedal jumping in DIView if grounding wasn’t set up properly.
SC2 does not seem to have that problem.

Not convinced this is all due to Bluetooth interference. The only device with BT on in my room is the cellphone which is nowhere close to the wheel. Restarting the wireless wheel always gets rid of the issue, this wouldn’t be the case if BT interference was behind all of it.

Wi-Fi, microwaves, fluorescent lights, all could cause interference with BT.
Not saying that this is necessarily the case here.

That’s a great point.

I have ordered a grounding kit for the rig.
It has to be something like this if two new wireless wheels have the same issue.
I also asked Heisinkveld to send me their grounding cable for the pedal control box.

Let’s see.

My F28-SC started to give me more and more trouble, it will skip shifts, recently had couple times where it would stop communication for few seconds. Shifts wouldn’t work or any other button on the wheel. Since it happened in practice I could pull over and go to see debug in TD but everything seems Ok in there and no errors.

Battery is fine and wireless is 100%

My plan is to just switch to USB wheel, happens too often and it seems as minor thing, but when It doe happen it’s very annoying, I’m just trying to find a good replacement for it and since most of them costs more then SC2 pro not a simple task :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine did it yesterday for no apparent reason luckily it was just in a practise session,this was after running a 6hr race on saturday with no issues at all!!