Simucube wireless wheel support

Is it possible or will it be possible to connect clutch paddles like that of Ascher Racing?

Not for the current version of the wheel side module. We are currently considering the next version with advanced features, and clutch paddle support with bite point calbration will be included.

Tried the new wireless module in my DIY Wheel Rim, front and back plate 5mm Alu, 3D printed case. No problems so far, signal strength around 75%

3 Likes

Greetings. Just installed a wireless module in my SC1. Running the Ascher SC28.

Unfortunately where my case is located, I am only getting ~20% signal strength. It works, but a couple missed shifts in my first outing.

I see Beano has an antenna on the wheel side board a few posts up. The antenna ‘chip’ for lack of a better word looks the same on both boards from the pictures in the wiki. Can an antenna be fitted on the SC1 module? If so, what am I looking for here? What is the connection? I see things like ipx, etc. but I have no idea.

THanks - Dan

What type of enclosure on your SC1 ?

It’s a stamped steel ‘mining case’, but has a number of openings for cooling. Looks like this… But it has a lot of ‘stuff’ in there for EMI/RFI.

Does things improve wrt signal-strength if you leave the top off? A general observation though, all that motion-rig controllers in there will certainly not help with attaining a good, solid BT signal.

Just a question as if you are using standard Ethernet Cables OR if you are using CAT7 wires with the Boxes… It is possible that there is some change in the 0.50.x firmware that has changed something with regard to the electrical interface (Mika might know thins more) that could be adding a bit more electrical noise to your Rig which could be creeping into the cable causing the ghosting.

A CAT7 or above ethernet cable should help this if it is as it provides full wire sheilding for the entire length of the cable…

Other than that possibility I do know what else may have changed that would cause an issue…

There has not been any changes to button input parsing, but I will have a look at this regardless.

Thank you, But I am thinking mores that it might be Electrical noise addition from possibly different Algorythims somewhere but then I don’t know what All has been changed in the last few months… I would suggest for @Darren_Maguire to try a CAT 7 cable on the box to be sure as it does make a difference in noise rejection…

Darren, If you wish please contact me direct at simulation@penguinrc.com and we will see about what can be done on our end here.

Following up - thanks for those that responded and reached out. Martin Ascher was monitoring and reached out too. He offered a solution to mount the receiver module outside the box with a 3D printed case. I printed that part and my connection jumped up to 60-70%. Seems good with an hour of running this evening.

Little case mounted to the side:

Tough to see but the little case is down in the corner to the left of the Rift:

2 Likes

Can anyone confirm if a wireless rim, such as the Ascher ones, would show up as a device in JoyToKey, just as all my USB rims and button plates do?

Thanks.

They show as the same Simucube controller, i. e. only one game controller device visible on the PC.

JoyToKey works fine, I’m using a Simucube Wireless Wheel button as push to talk on OBS.

1 Like

Aha awesome, thanks!

btw, are the wireless buttons additional to the RJ45 connector ones or do they take their place in the circuit?

They are additional.

Is a wheel like this outside of the scope of a wireless option?

https://www.ascher-racing.com/shop/f64-usb/

At the moment, yes. The current version of the Simucube Wireless Wheel module does not have enough digital inputs, and does not have analog inputs.

We are gathering ideas for the second version of the module, and we invite all interested wheel builder businesses to design the required features.

Good to hear. Another thing to consider would be using onboard BT on new motherboards. Most of the newer higher end boards have BT built in now. Wondering if this would reduce the complexity for you guys somehow and minimize interference. Anyone buying a SC2 is liktely going to have a high end PC so there should be an overlap between the userbase. The mobo’s come with an antenna also which increases range dramatically.

It would introduce variables in bluetooth stack, drivers, and windows issues - exactly why we chose to use an integrated solution instead.

1 Like