Simucube wireless wheel support

Apparently. This is ridiculous.

Hi, Granite Devices has made it very clear that they will not be selling these modules to diy teams, due to support requirements, other overheads, etcā€¦

So they left the option to their resellers to decide if the resellers will sell to diy crowd, but ultimately, also support these devices. Most resellers are very small operations, often 1 or 2 persons strong only, so I can fully sympathise with them for selling preconfigured ready wheels only.

I am not sure how you can even ask GD to ā€˜forceā€™ resellers to stock and sell these modules to diy crowd, it is not in their power to do so, as reseller agreement is legally a very different thing from an agent-agreement.

Just my thoughts on this topic, yes, it would be nice to have a diy option here, but I can fully understand their business-decision not to do it.

Cheers,
Beano

I canā€™t fathom why the resellers wonā€™t at least correspond with @emiljensen2

If they arenā€™t in stock or not going to be for sale anymore, why not let him know so he isnā€™t left wondering?

Yep, agreed, ultimately it is all about their (Resellersā€™) customer-commitment and service, just thought to make it clear this is outside of Granite Devices scope :wink:

Granite Devices could just sell it at their online store. https://store.granitedevices.com/

You did not read my reply, or did not fully understood what I wrote. It is all about minimising overhead costs, service-resource etc.

GD is using max effort on SC2 current implementation, future R&D, as well as managing heavy logistics workload in the roll-out, plus taking a lot of support-load for SC2 onto their shoulders, the latter which is something Resellers are supposed to carry.

So you can see why they cannot sell and support diy versions of wireless directly to the public. Bear in mind, Mika and Coding team is also actively developing (unpaid with no ROI) the older Simucube 1 platform. Remember, here they only sold the Ioni and Simucube boards, never complete dd wheels, with idea community would do the open-source FW.

Community never took the responsibility of that action, with the result 1,000ā€™s of hours have been/ are being spent on something with no financial benefit to them.

So letā€™s cut the GD crew some slack, shall we?

1 Like

It would not be cost effective to sell them there as the logistics is only setup for courier, and the thus the shipping would cost more than the unitā€¦

Dennis, are you trying to purchase the wireless module in a preconfigured state?

Iā€™m asking because the resellers may have been reluctant to reply to you if you had asked for a non standard configuration. Thatā€™s just a guess on my part.

No, why should I cut them some slack!? If I do I will never get that module.
The module Iā€™m asking for is a part of the SC2 program. I donā€™t even know why youā€™re talking about SimuCUBE (1) specifically!?

I understand, but canā€™t you demand that the resellers sell all the equipment you ask them to sell, otherwise they will not be allowed to sell any at all!? I donā€™t understand the lack of willingness to help?

Iā€™ve just asked for a wireless module with external antenna connector. I have not asked for specific programming of it.

I know you do not want to hear it, but Granite Devices announced around time of the launch of SC2 that the wireless modules WOULD NOT be sold to anyone except wheel builders. No DIY at all

Joe, do you know if that is that still the status?

I thought that position changed at some point and the modules were offered for sale separately (preconfigured with predetermined inputs only) by the dealers.

Hey Paul,

To be clear I am not in any way connected to Granite devices anymore. Not a reseller etc.

But I do still stay involved with the forums because of all the wheel systems I sold in the past.
And I LOVE THIS STUFF!!

I do closely pay attention to what is going on.

As far as I know Granite Devices did as you say let the resellers decide whether to sell them or not. If the reseller sells them they must support them.
This is why the resellers do not want to sell them. The support could turn into a nightmare for tiny profits from the sale of the modules.

I still think it is the position of Granite Devices that they will not sell the modules direct.

Not sure if it will help, but I saw that Simon at SRM is coming out with a conversion for the Fanatec wheels to communicate with the SC2 base.
Maybe he or Leo will also come out with a DIY board that will communicate with SC2 base?

1 Like

And you know if Leo decides to do it, no doubt it will happen.:grinning:
The man is a Genius!

1 Like

That is quite unlikely, as the we are using a custom API for configuration data and key presses to the Simucube-side receiver and firmware. We are of course open to all ideas if someone wants to make a breakout board for the module for simpler DIY use.

We gonna offer a full solution for this by providing modules, break out boards, connectors and all parts needed to make your own diy wireless wheel. Multiple options of breakout boards available too to fit different types of wheels. Web shop is currently updated with parts. If someone wants details can send a message through the web shop, www.SimCore.com.au or send email at info@SimCore.com.au

2 Likes

If it could be done I guarantee Leo could figure it out.:grinning:

Just curious are you making it difficult for someone to make a compatible wheel side module on purpose?

It would be nice if you post more info about this when available.

No, not on purpose, but it is difficult to reverse engineer. And we do not have resources to create documentation for it. Also, if we did, we would have a mess of several suppliers with different radio hardware - exactly the situation we wanted to avoid in first place. It would be then very very difficult to guarantee any reliability for the system as a whole when we would not control itā€¦

1 Like

Ahhh now it makes sense!:grinning:

So the Idea of the Custom API is to make sure that no other devices will interfere with the SC2 Wireless