SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware: Share your settings

Yep.

Placebo’s are very powerful.
It’s one of the reasons they are used so often and in so many places. Really amazing when you think about it.

Nice chart… Just a question… I notice you are overdriving the Small Mige to 25Nm I am just wondering how this feels at the top end of the spectrum of power as it is technically beyond the Spec of the Servo… I run the Large Mige at 25A MMC which is about 27.9Nm with about the same iRacing 47Nm setting which comes out to about .598:1 or so in specific wheel output… (yours would be a tiny bit lower but not far off of that).

I haven’t played too much with Assetto Corse abut I have found that the Assetto Corsa Standard Feedback has a significant amount of inertia built into it which leads to a vey active but not as realistic feeling wheel…

Since the powers are so close between yours and mine I will have to play with your settings and see how they feel to me But I can tell you that your iRacing natural feel settings are pretty close to mine though I run more dampening as I have found certain aspects where it seems additional dampening is needed. I am still vetting those out to determine the best methods of controlling them though.

I’m not currently using gyro in AC, but tested it briefly about a year ago (tire model v7 times). It was OK for some cars, but was too dampening for most. If it were per car setting, it could have been more useful, but for me it felt too much like afterthought in most cases. Gyro can play better with higher Recon levels as they kind of level each other, but if you’re using gyro and would like to test smaller Recon levels, I suggest you disable gyro first and then test with Recon 1-2 and small amounts (0,3-1%) of damping + friction.

1 Like

On the subject of game parameters, one thing in iRacing app.ini that isn’t mentioned yet in this forum is “steerAverageSteeringTorque”. I was having hard time getting good results with settings posted here by more seasoned iRacers, but the culprit appears to be this app.ini parameter I’ve changed from long time ago when testing iRacing with MMOS.

“steerAverageSteeringTorque=1” made steering forces softer (as it averages values) and then adding moderate amounts of dampening made steering even more vague and lifeless. Original and default value is “0” and while that’s discarding five out of six internally calculated FFB values and only sending the last value when FFB update is due (which doesn’t sound as perfection solution either), changing it back gave much firmer feel for the steering and changed whole filter chain behavior for the better. Now Recon filter level 4-5 is showing it’s true potential and GT-cars are beginning to feel great with suggested settings of dampening and inertia. For open wheelers and lighter cars I still prefer less dampening, but the overall feel is closer to what others are experiencing here.

This parameter has been discussed thoroughly in iRacing-forums long before open source firmware materialized, but it’s worth noting how it’s behaving with Recon filter too. For me the default value of “0” feels preferable, but if you’re on this forum, quite likely you too have been tinkering with app.ini and it might be worth checking if you’re getting different results than others. There’re other parameters too, like “steeringFFBSmooth”, but they are more obvious and more unlikely been tweaked by us.

Overdriving small Mige is mostly to have enough headroom for short bursts. Like you noticed my force levels aren’t especially high, but those iRacing FFB levels actually were from testing Porsche 911 with smallish rim (27cm diameter) and I’ll probably will end up with higher forces with open wheelers and GT-cars with correct size rim. I haven’t driven iRacing almost at all lately because MMOS either meant heaps of filtering or like mentioned here “running on Fred Flintstone wheels” :joy:. I’m just beginning to start testing iRacing again as there’s obviously potential to be enjoyable with Recon filter. I can post updated chart when I’m getting more familiar with iRacing and new FW settings.

When using force levels over the specs, I haven’t noticed anything weird, just the same nice force delivery as under 20Nm. I used to have 320w power supply and 12,86A MMC, but I quite often noticed IONI power limit kicking in and lowering amperage temporarily to ~10A. Nothing like that happening with 480/720w PSU and 16A, neither does the motor feel like it’s overstressed. As my average force levels aren’t overly high, the motor is only slightly warm to touch after driving sessions even with car/setting-combos that reach shortly but repeatedly over 20Nm.

1 Like

Just checked on the AC forums the Gyro is much more subtle now with tire model 10 you may want to have another go.

Disappointed to find my steerAverageSteeringTorque was already set to 1. Ive tried the IR settings posted on here but didnt find the settings felt enjoyable was hoping mine was set to 0.

I tried your suggestion about turning off Gyro but both Recon 2 and 10 feel a lot better with Gyro on.

Im starting to like your setting better, I like the vibration from the road surface with yours but love the rubber feel with recon 10. With 9 you have a bit of both but would love to have the best of both worlds with 2 and 10.

Im not sensitive enough to detect the 20ms delay with recon at 10.
There is some oscillation with recon 10 but a light grip is good enough to stop it and only its a problem when u let go of the wheel.

Again this is testing with the Tatuus at Brands.

1 Like

I posted in the bug report thread about not having the same “rubbery” feeling going from 0.4.1 firmware to 0.6.0b while using filter 5. Couple good suggestions were made and I continued to do some tests today. Eventually I found my way back to my originals settings except for TBW and another change in the filter. I managed to get the feeling back by going to filter 7 and it provided the same feel as it did before with 5. I’m not too sure why that is even though Mika has told me nothing has changed between the firmware’s except bug fixing. Here is what I am running currently.

Small Mige 10k iRacing
Played around with the settings a little today and starting to get somewhere with it.

I’ve started doing back to back testing on some of the different Reconstruction filter settings and I am finding some interesting things so far… Basically I have been testing between the 5 and 7 filters currently as those seem to be the most used settings.

my Notes on the #5 filter is that it has consistency in feel, and by signal testing should be the base for natural feed back from iRacing.

However the interesting thing is the #7 - this filter is very similar to the #5 filter in many ways and i can see why many have migrated to it… The main difference is that it imparts a reasonable level of inertia “like” feel to the wheel which lightens up the feel of the wheel in corners that require more turn in the wheel (i.e. hairpin corners) but it does seem to weight the wheel a little more in loaded more consistent corners.

In my back to back A-B-A-B-A testing I found that I was actually faster with #7 but more consistent with #5… So I did some playing with settings…

My starting settings were #5 + Dampening @ 2.25%
next was #7 + Dampening @ 2.25%

I was about .2 seconds faster around the Kansas road Course with the Ferrari 488GTE @ night

My next was to change use #5 + Dampening @ 2.25% + Inertia @ $3%

Still a little faster with the #7 but it closed up a little

Then upped inertia to 5%

and the results were close about …075 difference.

The last test was Inertia @ 10% which seems a bit excessive but at this point I actually ended up faster than the #7 by about .05 but also was more consistent… This point however did show the inertia filters kind of ugly side as it causes a deadness in the wheel when the FFB changes direction as when you turn into inertia it makes the wheel heavier but turning away from the inertia signal makes the steering lighter. this however is not the case with the #7 filter so it is not actually putting inertia in the signal but whatever it is doing is imparting inertia like feel.

Anyway I thought I would just share some of my findings.

BTW 10K Large Mige, .6:1 (60%) specific output, Full Power.

Ive often thought with AC that the centre ffb could always be a bit firmer.

Upgrading from .4 to .6 I could feel some noise even at recon 10 on .6 that wasnt there in 0.4. It turned out the new firmware changed my mcc and mmc to 12.0 12.9 from 12.9 13.0.

Increasing difference between the 2 values to 12.8 and 13.0 by just .1 has firmed up the centre FFB a big effect for such a small change.

At 12.7 13 you can definitely feel the dampening effect but its a bit too much and felt horrible at recon 5.

Ill settled for the moment with it at 12.75 and tweek later and see if there are any down sides.

These changes improve the feel of the ffb with the ford gt no end Ill have to check others cars.

Simucube/IONI the gift that just keeps giving :smile:

Changing settings, especially those that are only stored in Ioni, is strange and definitively should not happen. Are you sure you didn’t upload a drc file and used “just use my current Ioni settings”?

Also, the recon filter is indeed basicly only meant and optimized for 60 Hz updates with the setting at 5 being only one that we tested, and the other settings are just guesses.

We might optimize the filter and make the expected frequency parametrized too, to be optimal for other sims as well.

Will we get separate recon filters optimised for each sim?

thats possible at some point, but maybe we won’t limit or optimize it “sim-by-sim”. We are thinking about the filter with setting called “input rate” which would be “low” “medium” and “high”, with low being iRacing 60Hz, Medium being something like 200 Hz and high being >500 Hz.

Can we have a middle value of 360 Please :slight_smile:

Mika and I talked a little about that, because really the recon filter in a away is not totally meant for tuning BUT at the moment there was only the 60Hz optimized but knowing other sims use other refresh rates it may end up being best to optimize for a few input levels I was personally thinking 60, 120, 240, 360, 480, and maybe 600 as it seems that output frequency seems to be many times 60Hz apart… Granted this might miss the exact frequency of some sims but hopefully will be close… It will also allow for people to use it a little bit for tuning… I am trying to figure out the fundamental feel differences between filters hence my post above just so when Mika and Tero revisit the filter there is some distinct information regarding what changes within the filter have what feel effects… as if all that is known there might be some other methods of implementation to make it a little bit of a tuning thing as well as reconstruction… This is why in the Guide we indicated that it was a work in progress… For others out there if you can please indicate which setting is being used and why you chose it… It will help me try out and reconcile the feeling changes at least in iRacing as that is what I mainly use… I have not done much testing at all in Assetto Corsa but I have found in the little testing tha I did that Assetto Corsa does impart quite a bit of the inertia type feeling within their base feedback (to me almost distractingly so). That feeling in its extreme sense is when the wheel feels too light but at the same time feels like the wheel is steering you rather than you steering the wheel… Problem is to little inertia and it seems that the wheel doesn’t return to center firmly and directly enough as this is where you would want the steering (or in reality the caster) to drive the wheel back to center.

Is that with the gyro on or off?

probably off as I haven’t messed with any of the settings beyond default and the ones adjustable in the game itself.

Definition make a difference since tire model 10

No havent loaded in a drc since starting the beta.

Hello,
I don’t know how to crop pictures, but here are my big mige simucube settings for the Mx5, I suggest trying it on limerock and all stock. I get great response and feel and this is truly the 1st time it felt like a real wheel! Some feedback is missing ie curbs, textures but its still impressive with the simucube. I’m still working on fine tuning it with other carss, but give it a try and give me your feedback.

TBW 680
Power 25% of 24.5 max 6.13 A
Recon 3
Damp 2.38
Friction 1.2
Inertia 0.99
in game ffb 15nm

Snow
Simracingbay Big Mide, simucube, 10k encoder, Large wheel