SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware: Next features POLL

BUMstop? :smiley:
sure thing

2 Likes

wouldnā€™t it be also possible to always center the wheel first (slowly) like with a desktop spring effect?

This is exactly how it is now! So the position where the maximum force is set, is the angle that can be set, and there are the ramp range and friction parameters that can be used to alter the feel of the bump stop.

Yes, it would, but then I would have to implement that somehow, to work with all servos and power levels. Iā€™d rather not spend the time now.

• Endstop
  • Bumbstop
  • Bumstop

0 voters

OK yes I guess that is what I was getting at in a way:

The Actual Wheel degree to report to a sim/Game would be the Steering Angle (SA)

The Actual Range of Motion before the hardware Bump/End stops take effect would be the Bump/End stop Angle (BA)

Then I thought the Endstop Effect Ramp Range degree was the third variable in how far past the Bump/Endstops stops( Bump/End stop angle) it takes for the system to ramp up to the hardware end stop force. this of course would be in the area where it is in Hardware set-up so that no matter what you set the ā€œBAā€ to the ramp up would be the same.

I hope that is clearā€¦ I think I am leaning toward Bump Stop on the wording as I seem to be using that more because we are effectively limiting the range by creating a Bump stop prior to the actual End stop of the Wheel which would be the degrees being reported to Game/Sim.

This is how the endstop is now set. Discuss.

I could move the ramp range to start at the endstop angle too.

2 Likes

nice i like that very tune-able

The ramp range is a great idea, is it gonna be adjustable?

Yes. There is also adjustable damping effect when on that range, to prevent abrupt bounce from the endstop.

I shall add, that the current form is more like a real car, but could prove to be challenging to calibrate in-game as user would need to use force to get to endstop angle.

Nothing that canā€™t be solved by just unchecking the endstop effect completely to calibrate, though.

Or press the e-stop to calibrate. This is an issues with desktop spring effect as well.

1 Like

I like Bump Stop wording, as itā€™s used in industrial process terms too.

Also, your solution to the Bump Stop a great one, well done!!

Cheers,
Beano

Thatā€™s probability why I liked it as made total sense to me. Spent to many years fixing weird stuff in factoryā€™s an on mines lol.

As long as the ramp effect is adjustable I like how it is implemented now. The last few degrees are often harder irl

Here was my thinking of how it would work Basically the same as yours with a little different wording and an easier to understand endstop limit. The top is to have an Endstop shorter than the Map Range ā€œEndstop Rangeā€ would be instead of ā€œEndstop Angleā€ and Bumpstop Ramp Angle would be instead of (Endstop Effect Ramp Range).

The Second shows the Endstop Range and the Steering Range being the same

And the third is the Endstop Range Being outside the Steering Range for those times you do not want to have an Endstop in the profile which allows the Hardware setting for the Endstop to be enabled still but NOT used in a certain profile as I understand it the Profile is not going to include the Hardware settings.

I still kind of fail to see why anyone would like to have endstops outside of the steering angle range.

Also, endstop won the poll over bumpstop.

Also, i settled upon the ā€œendstop angle (from axis limit)ā€ based on the results of the poll.

Good idea to make a drawing. I see that my description earlier got misunderstood.

Thatā€™s how I would do it. Bumstop Range should go to the start of the ramp.

You do not want to feel the Bumpstop during calibration.
Furthermore, letā€™s say Steering angle is 500Ā° and Bumpstop Angle is 90Ā°. You donā€™t want the ramp to start at 160Ā° of effective steering angle.

Like already mentioned, Bumpstop is an industrial used term. We call the elastomeres within dampers to avoid bottoming out Bumpstop as well.

Count me in against endstops outside of steering angle range

Agree, there is no practical use for Bumpstops being out of Steering Rangeā€¦