SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

So will the Giant be back on skates! LOL:):grin:

:lol:

I think I should stick to saunas, icy lakes, beer and sim stuff!

Status report: At least the friction effect still does not work as it used to. It is probably a quick fixā€¦

ad43e0ab60f08504da878b9962630d7d

Can anyone help with this, itā€™s the first time i have had it happen.

Go to advanced tab, click Enable IONI USB Configuration. Connect to IONI via Granity. Report the FOV (Over Voltage Fault Threshold) on the Fault Limits tab, and also the HV Bus Voltage on the Testing -tab.

You will need both USBā€™s connected for this.

@Mika Happy to test new version when you are ready :slight_smile:

Just got this error - never seen anything like this?
A power cycle fixed it, but hoping to find out why it happened when Iā€™ve been running same granity settings for months.

@GlobeSpy, that fault ID 10053 means that internal watchdog of IONI firmware has triggered. Basically it means that some function consumed more time than it should (i.e. drive CPU load too high to perform a task in real-time).

Let me know if you can reproduce the problem or if it happens again. It might be a firmware bug, or we may just have watchdog time limit set too tight for temporary CPU loads. In any case, itā€™s an IONI FW issue and weā€™ll catch it eventually :slight_smile:

Thanks Tero!
Yeah, itā€™s the first time I have ever seen this since owning my current OSW in nearly 2 years.
Iā€™m sure itā€™s just a little gremlin that will be found eventually.
I donā€™t know how to reproduce, but will try to catch logs if it does.

I had the same error a few days ago.

Status update:

In light of new absolute encoders becoming popular, Iā€™ve implemented a test interface for autosetup of commutation sensors. I need to test this once next week.

I also verified now that the Friction effect did indeed work in 0.9.5 version. It being completely missing was a simple fault (left one too many line commented out from code) in 0.9.7. Once I re-enabled that, the effect was also totally broken and almost shook my wheel apart :smiley: Iā€™ve yet to find the critical difference why the same code does not work now. Investigations continue.

3 Likes

Ha, that was what I thought was a mini earthquake in Melbourne:slight_smile:

It was your wheel doing rock and roll

1 Like

Does someone have any tips on the centering spring issues? Even when I set the torque to 4 or 5 Nm, the centering spring effect is still way too forceful. The centering spring doesnā€™t even, at the least, feel like it decreases as the wheel gets closer to centre but rather it feels like itā€™s a constant force always wanting to return the wheel to centre. Almost as if itā€™s a constant force being applied regardless of speed or car.

Is this an issue with FFB technology in general? It happens in every sim.

Aside from videos where itā€™s also quite clear, Iā€™ve raced quite a few cars, race cars, and karts in real life and those real life vehicles require WAY more steering effort than some of the sims/settings I play with but at the same time have NOTHING like the centering spring force/characteristics of those same sims/settings.

Something isnā€™t rightā€¦

I infer from your text, that you are just a simulator driver, and thus you are not using the DirectInput spring effect, or relying on it in any way as a developer?

I find it frustrating too - perhaps the simulators just work in that way. Assetto Corsa does a great job in mitigating it via friction effect. Iā€™m hoping I will have time to fix the broken friction effect (0.9.8 issue) when get back to Finland.

As a driver, you could try to add just a bit of always-on friction and / or damping effect.

Having completed my review of the Sim Racing Bay OSW kit. It has re-spiked my interest in the OSW project. I will be following these updates closely from now on. And thanks to everyone involved here for working so hard to continue improving the OSW experience!

16 Likes

Hi Barry,

I havenā€™t yet had time to see your review, but I still thank you for doing it. Honest reviews and informative videos are great for the sim racing community. :+1:

1 Like

Great job as usual Barry.

In terms of bang for your buck, donā€™t you think a Simucube based OSW with Mige +Sincos (or even Biss encoder these days) blows away all the competition?

Can you see a real reason (I mean a real game changer reason) to invest anymore then this?

Glad to have you here Barry!

Let me know when you are ready to build one I usually have everything in stock now.

I hope the retirement life has been suiting you well! :):grin:

Welcome Barry. I really liked the T-shirt you sent me. :+1:

Let me know if Barry Needs a Sincos Cover for the review, would be happy to print one for himā€¦