SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Sorry, SimuCUBE firmware can not be operated on too old IONI firmware. Minimum compatible (bundled) version is mentioned on the firmware version history page.

Edit: With 10600 the problem appears again.

Andres does the problem.persist when you set the force slider to letā€™s say 60%.
In configuration tool i mean. I found that when i set the force slider above the current value set in mcc. (Continu current) i get into trouble. So my mcc setting in granite is 10A, i have to set the slider so that the current asked is beneath 10A. Hope this makes sense.

Im using FFB clip app in dynamic mode and 50% in MMOS. I havenā€™t changed any parameter in granity. I use Simracing bay (Timo) default settings.
I hope this helps.

With the upcoming addition of the debug information being added to the SimuCUBE FW Iā€™d be interested to know what the actual debug values refer to, usually mine are -1 0 -1 -1 -1 -1 but the other day I had values in the range of 3000 and 6000 for the 6 registers (cant remember the exact number).

Ive had a search in the Ioni wiki but canā€™t find any explanations or data.

Cheers

Those are some Ioni internal debug variables. I know some of them changes to 100 when index point is first found :slight_smile: as the SimuCUBE is checking it, if index point based indexing is used.

SimuCUBE will have its own debug log. It will be awesome and helpful. Just wait :slight_smile:

4 Likes

some days ago i read something about a new ioni firmware currently in beta that hugely improves the ā€œnoiseā€ coming from the servo.

is there anything new about that regarding a public release? i seem to remember that it was stated that it could or should release soon. but i dont know if my mind tricks me in to believing something i want to believe.

thx in advance

I installed the Sincos encoder yesterday, I find it a good step forward. The noise as far as Iā€™m concerned has also disappeared unlimited.

No news about public release. Please note, that any public IONI releases have to be extensively tested and definite non-beta versions, as there are industrial customers that are also getting new features, etc. Every release must be tested with customers and so on.

alright.
thx for your fast answer.

its not that i need it. its just that i remembered there is something coming.

having a blast anyway :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve had my mmos wheel up and running for over a year, it is an Ollie kit that I assembled with a small mige and 5k encoder, best they had at the time, and I thought it felt really good. I ordered a SimuCUBE board a couple months back then decided a month later not to scrap my Ollie custom built setup and went ahead and ordered a SimuCUBE case. I was in no rush to get it going because my wheel really felt pretty good and I thought the new SimuCUBE build would be an incremental improvementā€¦

I finally put it together with a new power supply this week. Well holy $&!^ I gotta say I was completely blown away, wow!! I started out on this racing sim journey with Grand Prix legends, back in the day, when it came out and have never felt anything this good in my entire sim racing experience.

The wheel with the SimuCUBE feels absolutely fantastic, just bloody amazing!

I would just like to say thank you to Mika, Beano, Ippai, mx170, eddy, Simon, bsohn, Jason and the entire Granity team as well as all the active posters here and over at iracing, I believe I have read every single related post over the last two years.

You guys have created an absolutely fantastic Sim wheel experience, I canā€™t thank you enough for all your efforts!

Well done,
JohnE

12 Likes

:wink:

Glad you like it do much, Mate. Thatā€™s what itā€™s about, having fun !

2 Likes

Could you elaborate on the differences in feel between the argon kit / simucube what are the differences you notice ?

Well here is my take on the difference between the mmos (ionicube) and the new firmware on the SimuCUBE, I have never tried an argonā€¦I had to try it again before I replied but here goes:

The wheel feels much more connected and I find also feels like it has a much lower input lag. The way this comes through is when you start to loose the back end grip, you notice instantly and can correct for it leading to really being able to hang right on the edge of traction. Also, when you look at the graphic of your wheel in iracing it really is super close to real time movement. The feel of really fine surface changes also comes through really well and you can even feel which side of the cusp your on even if it is very slight, pretty neat, increadible detail. To sum it up, itā€™s very subjective but I guess so is the rest of it, it just feels like your drivingā€¦good wheel weight, really good feedback and it all feels like it is in realtime!

Now, I canā€™t claim the the wheel was setup perfectly in mmos and granity before the upgrade but I did spend a lot of time with different settings, some downloaded and some after hours of tweakingā€¦ One thing for sure though is I really like the feel of the SimuCUBE now, its fantastic!

Loving it :grin::grin:, thanks again Mika for all your hard work :beers:

1 Like

yeah but that naked encoder looks terribleā€¦!!!

1 Like

First, thank you for the development efforts of this fine firmware. I play Automobilista almost exclusively these days, and this firmware, with very minimal tweaking, is truly a pleasure with this game and my Large Mige setup.

Without distracting too much from further development, I would like to learn more about the specific ā€œPeaking and notch filterā€ settings. The manual provides some minimal explanation in technical terms, but I find little information there or anywhere that explains on-track effects of these filters other than controlling oscillation.

My findings are these, using a Brasilian Stock Car in in AMS: minimal Center Frequency (1.5hz) pretty much eliminates oscillation and noticeably tones down the harsh bump effects which can be exaggerated in AMS on DD wheels. Just turning this on made AMS almost perfect to me.

Attenuation is where Iā€™ve been fiddling lately: Setting between -2.0 and -3.5 brings out the front end changes in traction, particularly the lightening of torque on a curve with an elevation change. These changes in torque coincide with visual and track cues, so it seems to be accentuating physics-based feedback, as opposed to any artificial overlay. Going much above -3.5 seems to taper off the effect.

Q Factor is a total mystery to me. Going much above 0.1 on it seems to negate the effects of the above-referenced settings in Attenuation, to the point that going to 1.0 seems to make the overall experience numbly stiff, as if torque is being applied heavily consistently across the track.

Based on my experience with Attenuation, it seems these are some filters worthy of use if we could understand the on-track effects to expect from various settings and combinations of settings.

Just hoping to start a conversation about these effects.

Thanks.

3 Likes

I been reading this forum for a few weeks and I could not activate my account on my hotmail account several times strange.
I just changed it to another mail adres and it works. Maybe the account could not be created bij a hotmail account?

But I am waiting for the first non Beta release then I wil try your software
When wil it be released?

Microsoft is actively blocking our email server for some reason. Its a known issue, and hopefully we can remedy it soon.

No estimated release time for non beta 1.0 release. Still some things to implement.