SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Hotfix release 0.8.12 out now.

Ok, so with the effect logging available, I did go through a couple of games:

GT Legends:

• PeriodicSineOffset
  • TriangleWave
  • PeriodicSine
  • Friction (I think only when standing still)
  • ConstantForce (not sure, but I think when you crash)

GTR2:

• Same as GTL
  • Additionally uses Sawtoothing and Damping, not sure for what though

Test Drive Unlimited:

• Crashed upon loading. Need to check why. It worked with MMos, if you limit the number of controllers to 3.

Spintires:

• ConstantForce, but it’s useless since it only supports one controller. Don’t have the new Mudrunner, that is supposed to support more.

Euro Truck Simulator 2:

• Mostly PeriodicSine (possibly motor effect?) and TriangleWave
  • Friction (generates friction, that works already :slight_smile: )
  • Spring (wheel centering)
  • SquareWave (for collisions)
    There is a slider for dampening, but it doesn’t seem to add a dampening effect. Couldn’t tell what it does exactly without the effects in place.

These are the ones that I have installed right now (apart from the one that were already investigated by Mika himself). Will do more tests during the weekend, e.g. with Race07 or rFactor, although I expect they’re very similar to GTR2.
Didn’t test American Truck Simulator, as I expect it to be identical to ETS2.

TL;DR: a lot of effects are in use, but if PeriodicSine, PeriodicSineOffset and TriangleWave are implemented, that should make most games happy most of the time. :wink:

1 Like

Also, got F1 2017 and Project Cars 2 today.

Testing those on Monday, most likely.

1 Like

Wouldnt bother with pc2 youll spend 5 hours getting the ffb to your liking

Sounds like the same as Automobilista. I think its usign Realfeel plugin with some Effects. Trianglewave and periodicsine are not yet implemented.

Well, sawtooth can’t be anything real related to wheel torque, so… but Damping is interesting, especially if it is changing when driving.

PeriodicSineOffset is the one that AC, AMS and rF2 use, so it is already implemented. Trianglewave is not implemented. Need to think about implementing at least that - or maybe we’ll do it when we release the effect code as open source. Hopefully before Christmas!

Nope AC still doesnt use PeriodicSineOffset. Gold fish memory Mika? :wink: or just tired from all the hard work youve done for us?

hah, yeah. Too busy testing something else now :wink:

1 Like

The bigger issue with ProjectCars2 is that even when using the Raw FFB setting (best for DD-wheels), the FFB can vary greatly from one car / track to the next so it’s good to have a reference point from the get go.

I would recommend the Caterham SP300 on the Daytona Infield Road Course or another track with good bump detail. Nords has a lot of bumps too.

FFB in Pcars2: Flavor = RAW
Gain = 100%
Volume = use to set force strength from in-game
Tone = 50% (Very Sensitive to changes / > front grip-loss feel improves / < SAT reduced)
FX = try 15% - 30% (Bump / Road Detail)

That would be neat.
The friction effect in ETS2 already helps to make the wheel feel less dead, but it’s not really necessary, since you can achieve almost the same by just adding a bit of damping and friction in the SimuCUBE util.
But getting some actual force (you might be right that TriangleWave could be the thing to look at) would be very neat.

GTL and GTR2 felt very weird.
There were some effects, but the forces felt totally wrong as it seems to use some other effects (maybe TriangleWave as well, don’t know) to create the whole thing.
Regarding the RealFeel Plugin … I’m not convinced it’s there. I think you had to install it separately for GTL, GTR2 and rFactor, at least that’s what my distant memory tells me. And I didn’t install it.
In the end, I don’t know if these 3 games are actually in use that much these days, so I wouldn’t focus too much on them.
Just wanted to give you a bit of an overview over the effects that are used in some of the games.

Edit: am I right that TriangleWave is basically the same as sawtooth except for rising and falling flanks instead of just rising flanks?

Edit2: I wouldn’t bother with the spring effect. Most gamers don’t like it and actually nobody should use it. On the other hand, it’s possibly the easiest to implement?

1 Like

I believe it would be the Spring effect that would make some kind of force wheeling to the wheel, especially if it was changing. But its still honestly a bad implementation of a torque effect.

hm, I can’t fully exclude that, but at least it’s not what I’m missing, because I did turn that off when I was still using my old Fanatec wheel.

But I might have a look at that during the weekend. Just need to find the PSU for the Fanatec wheel. ^^

They also have a telemetry plugin, which a Logitech user used to write his own FFB code.
Unfortunately he didn’t release the code and it only works on Logitech wheels afaik.

Usually the “Centering Spring” in different wheels relates to just having a centering spring effect when there are no effects at all running, i.e. on desktop. Or that is my understanding.

I have seen many games that used that effect in-game. But it’s mostly a relict from back when driving physics in games were so bad that FFB was completely artificial.

anyone driving the formula renault 2.0 i iracing around here.

to me the simucube firmware with this car isnt optimal. i feel to little tire load, but the bumps are to harsh. this is especially strong this week at sebring. i am aware that sebring is a special case due to its bumpy road, but the bumps are so strong this week that i have to turn down the ffb quite a lot and then loose the what i like about the ffb. if that makes sense.

any idea how i can dial back the bumps a little in that car with the ffb?

sry if this is the wrong thread for that.

you can adjust the force strength slider in iRacing to “cut” peaks from the signal. If it, for example, is at 30 Nm now, then reduce it to 15 Nm, and then adjust general FFB a bit lower using SimuCUBE strength slider.

Work of today - debug events (although “dummy” for now) download to SimuCUBE. Next will need to actually define text fields for different events and to go through debug prints in firmware and add event logging for them also.

1 Like

If you actually look at the telemetry from the car that is sort of the nature of the FR2.0 it is quite light in steering but for some reason is very spiky and abrupt with regard to bumps and curbs… so it may very well be just how the car is and because things are getting smothed out those differences are stating to feel greater… I know many are using recon 1 with that car so that it stays a bit rougher throughout.

Eddy / Mika
I did some testing for 2 days with ioni firmware 1104 and 1108 with Asseto Corsa.
No noob ffb issue at all with Mmos. I dont want to give a definitive conclusion but I think the problem is with 1160 and above.
Mika do you think it’s possible to work simucube with 1104?
I’ll do a new test with 1160 to confirm.

1 Like

Quick question about the new DirectInput Effect settings. For iRacing I take it we leave those at 0% correct? Those settings are mainly for the other games I take it.

Those should not even have any effect in iRacing, as even though it creates a Directinput damping effect, it sets it strength to 0 anyway, and never changes it.