SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

first I thought the peaking and notch filter is deactivated in 0.8.4. no settings did change anything but after setting extreme values I felt it is active.

iRacing is fine, no oscillations whatsoever. I am going to test AC right now.

edit: no oscillations in AC as expected.

There was no update for pCars 2, the only thing that changed is the simucube firmware. hmm, testing further. pCars 2 is a bugfest thats for sure…

edit2: going up and down with all values, suddenly it is working again. Q 2.1 is not helping, its back to Q 0.1 and a bit more friction. but I had similar settings in my first session and it would not suppress the oscillations.

best settings I found regarding oscillations in pcars2:
pcars2

While torturing my poor Lenze it got so hot I couldn‘t touch it anymore.

Maybe that introduced a new issue I never had with my Argon. The Lenze slipped through - exactly like the clamping set was slipping, did even sound like it, but the center setpoint was always right, it never changed! Anyone ever experienced something similar?

I have the exact same problem with my AKM52K and Simucube/720w, Granity detected current settings, 100% FFb in config tool.

Having upgraded from MMoS to GD firmware, and the encoder to a BiSS resolver, the 52K becomes very hot within 15 mins - as posted elsewhere there are fault errors which are reduced in number by setting FOC to maximum.

However when the 52K is very hot, there are non-fault loss of FFB, which I assume are due to the servo over heating. When turning leading to a high FFB load, there is a slight ping, then FFB drops to zero for a few seconds, then returns to normal when the wheel is near centered, and intermittently recurs with high FFB.

I think the solution with the 52K will be to drop amps and/or reduce FFB below 100%

Are you using the Reconstruction Filter? We have a feeling that there is a bug in it, causing loss of Ffb.

Yes, reconstruction 5, older firmware 0.80b I think

It would help if you tested whether you get same results without that filter.

Also, take note if the Simplemotion error counter in the Configuration Tool increases at the moment of this happening. Current theory I have is that it does not.

tested further rF2 no filters in config tool force 100%, car in game ffb multiplier 0.6 i can play 30 mins no problem
same car same track multiplier 0.7 again 30 mins race no problem
same car same track multiplier 0.75 4 laps ffb cut of.

haven’t felt if servo is running hot.

edit: fw 0.8.4

And is there difference if reconstruction filter is on/off?

Gonna try tomorrow and report

Same car track game and config tool settings.
Reconstruction filter 7 (tried unlimited and 470hz because rF2 uses 400hz update speed)
In game ffb multiplier 0.75 cut of within 2 laps
In game ffb multiplier 0.70 cut of within 2 laps

And with reconstruction filter off?

@Eddy: what is your setting for FFT in the Granity fault limit tab?

I had a problem with occasional FOV faults since installing the new FW (in contrast to MMos btw), but increasing FFT from 0.3s to 1s fixed it for me so far.

Maybe 1s is a bit too high, but I first wanted to test if it does work or not.

I realy don’t know, but good hint thank you. I will look at it tonight.
Did you get a fault when you had it at 0.3 or just a ffb cut of.

As I said, a FOV fault.
With the current firmware, you can’t be sure there as the faults are cleared before you can read them out, but with 0.7.x it was possible to read out the fault reason.

1 Like

0.8.4 has already the fix that only the Simplemotion faults are cleared, not the others. Let me know if it still clears too much.

Saturday update:

Slow remote desktop connection to development computer, all dev hardware powered off.
Decided to do something still:
In the Configuration Tool there is now a rudimentary indicator of which FFB effects are created by a game, and which effects have also been actively updated with new data during the last 10 seconds. I think I will change this to 30 seconds after some testing that this actually works as intended.

2 Likes

Saturday Update #2

WIP.

6 Likes

Nice progress there, thank you Mika!

Progressing very well indeed; just a bit more polishing to place buttons in sensible places and to grey all of them out correctly in every situation.

Edit: also this version should have gotten rid of any and all pixel width and height settings in every UI element. This means that it will work in high-DPI displays or with custom scaling factors as well.

3 Likes