SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Oh no this seems to be too compligated to me.
I don´t know where this “bootloader” is located. I have already installed dfuse demo and now when i press choose button i need to know where is the god damn DFU. file.
I tought this need only to install simucube firmware file and thats it.

Its the simucube-bootloader.dfu that is supplied in the zip file.

Ok. I think i dont have that zip file then so where i can get that?

https://granitedevices.com/wiki/SimuCUBE_firmware_releases

Thanks!
I made it now, but i think that user guide need little fix.
One is that there should be direct download link for each needed file in wiki.

Tomorrow i will test this whit iracing. Great times ahead! i hope :slight_smile:

1 Like

Something strange has happened to my small mige setup - the new firmware has been working very nicely right up to the point where I had a go at adjusting the current in Granity (MCC, MMC) from 6.3A up to 12.3A… it would not take the 12.3A setting so I put it back to the original 6.3A settings ( this is my normal setting ). Since doing this the mige is emitting a low hissing sound and when I turn the wheel it makes a quiet grating/scratchy electrical noise and the wheel has a very slightly notchy feel… it does this following bootup after the 3 musical notes have sounded and is present from then on.

I can get this noise to go away by loading another .drc file in granity but as soon as I restart the mige it returns.

I have used the “SimuCUBE configuration tool” to update the firmware but it has not cured the problem and none of the of the settings appear to help.

I’m offline for next 7 hours…

Paul, it will be your Torque Bandwidth Limit (TBW) causing the inductance noise. Drop that down to 680 and let’s see how it goes. You can set it from the new Configuration Tool.

Wrt your Current settings, note that you won’t be able to set MCC higher than MMC. Set MMC to 12.7A and MCC to perhaps 11A, if you want to play with the settings.

Cheers,
Beano

1 Like

Thanks for that Beano, dropping it down from 1000hz to 470hz fixed the problem. I checked the setting in the “tuning” tab in Granity and it was 470hz. Very disturbing when your wheel feels and sounds like it’s got sand in it’s gearbox :slight_smile:

Mika - it may be worth alerting people to check they are using a suitable Torque Bandwidth for their servo and not to rely on the default one in the simucube configuration tool.

What program are you using, in iRacing you can set the wheel rotation AND the wheel Mapping if you have I believe rotation at 540degrees and then you have Mapping at 900 degrees the in game wheel will turn 900 degrees when you turn 540… I believe both sliders have to be at 540 to actually Limit to 540… that is at least in iRacing I am not sure on other games.

Since yesterday it works, i have no idea why but it works now. :slight_smile:

Yes I had a Mistake in the 40K DRC files that lead to an initialization Fault … One of the Fault Parameters got altered while I was producing the files… The New files that I posted on iRacing are now Fault Free and Can be used… This error only affected the Small Mige 40K files. anyway again all is good now.

Thanx a lot Brion. I will use updated version.
Cheers.

The funny thing is the OSW “Open Source Wheel” Name came far earlier than Granites development with it… I know their original plan was to allow others to have control but there there are some things that maybe shouldn’t… The funny thing is from what I understand of it the Open Source wheel referred more to the Hardware than the Software/Firmware as MMOS was also NOT open source… The Main thing was that technically you could buy any hardware and get it to work… We have just gotten to the point that the most economical hardware has been found for what is available and it now feels more like a complete closed product.

The grating also changes with the filtering used… and as well the inductance and resistance that is calculated if you choose to put set these values through Granity… One thing to note is that the Reconstruction filter actually seems to work better and get the most detail the HIGHER the TBW is set… generally speaking unlimited will provide the most feel at the wheel through the reconstruction filter.

1 Like

Brian, I don’t have any filtering set… does the grating decrease or increase with higher filter values ?

When I was messing with the Small Mige as I have one here that I have done some testing on (my main choice and what I use normally is the Large) the filters would generally decrease the grating but sometimes increase a light buzzing when standing still… once it gets a real signal from a game all of the buzzing and Grinding would generally disappear… I was running unlimited on the TBW at this time… The Grinding feeling is a little off putting and it is sort of the nature of the Small Mige (not sure why) but it has always been there. I think it is basically just electrical noise due to the winding style they use in that servo.

The odd thing is I ran most of yesterday with TBW of 1000hz and did not have any grating noises… this was with my usual setting of 6.3A, it is only since I started playing with the Amps setting in Granity that the grating noise has appeared and can mostly be eliminated with setting TBW to 470hz… up to then the small mige had been really quiet. I will do a bit more investigating later and try a few different settings. Thanks for your help with this.

It might also be beneficial to see if the iRacing app.ini file has some damping/inertia or some other filter set in them. Turn everything to zero there if there are any setting on.

[Force Feedback]
damperMode=0 ; Set damper effect type 0 = Damper 1 = Inertia 2 = Friction
damperSaturation=10000 ; Set damper saturation from 0 to 10000
dampingSliderSetsFriction=0 ; True if damping slider adjust friction effect, false to adjust wheels built in damping effect

Honestly I am not sure exactly why that would be as of course I don’t know exactly how the electronics in the drive work. It could be something to do with non user adjustable filtering and Parameters being boosted when the amperage is set higher which of course could be causing the additional noise… It appears that it is high frequency electrical noise though as the TBW filter diminishes higher frequency so it reduces noise… The only issue is that it also eliminates some feedback fidelity.

Good Call,

Infact if anyone has a .ini file for Iracing that is set to best use of SimuCube, please share it or let us know what to tweak.