SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Hi,

I couldn’t repeat your issue for now. I don’t have RBR at the office, so I will try to get back home a bit earlier today to troubleshoot there.

Nobody else has reported similar issue, so I’m still thinking what could cause this.

Please message the AC OSW community, that currently the firmware does not do anything with any damping commands that come from the simulator. This means that trying to optimize those settings will have no effect, and settings will be also changing in the future when I implement that effect.

2 Likes

Yep they have a lovely job with it for sure :sunglasses:
got Race Room feeling very good last night too.
AC just done few mins on today so still to tweak Automoblista and P Cars still to try

I did turn in game dampening to 0 to test will find there OSW thread and post there

Hi Mika, came back from work a moment ago and started the computer. Everything is fine today, i have no idea what happend because i chanced nothing. Started Computer and tried in the SimuCube Tool steering and it was linear with the steering in the software. I’ll try now RBR and take a look if it will stay fine and let you know then. Thank you for your time.

1 Like

In RaceRoom there is a total lack of road texture in the straights. I changed a couple of parameters in the FFB profile file and adjusted the vertical load but without any results. Any tips for this?

1 Like

Thank you for reporting this - there of course should be some texture. I’ve never tried RaceRoom, so it is important for me to know that some important thing could be missing in our FFB effect implementation that affects it.

What a day. Feedback from all of you has been fantastic, and there doesn’t seem to have been any showstopper bugs on this round either - just some funnies and general support.

To keep things rolling I started to implement MMC indicator to the user interface, so I can know that it is read properly when Motor Configuration Wizard is run, and then that can be used to set up MMC to profiles. Unfortunately, adding this parameter will result in all setting- and profile data getting corrupted in the SimuCUBE flash memory. I will try to make the setting system a bit more robust for future updates, but for this next beta release, I do think all profiles will have to be manually made again.

I should be able to also put up some pictures on how and what to click to update to the new firmware into our wiki pages. I have two SimuCUBEs at home, and I guess its time to retire MMOS from the other one too.

4 Likes

Also, I did find a bug that could have resulted in “I have no forces” situation after running the motor configuration wizard.

Well, what you said is true. If you worry about that then don’t open source. EVERY open source project is suspect to immoral people disregarding licenses. If it’s designed to be paired with simucube and most development work is done by a small group of guys then open source brings little benefit.

I am not arguing you “should” open source or not. it’s the developer’s choice. it’s just that, this project was labeled as “open source” and I thought I could make my own OSW system on top of it. and I was confused to see the published source is just a binary file. the not-to-open-source decision is totally fine and I may just choose to buy a Simucube instead, or fanatec DD or whatever is available out there. I’m not asking the developers to share their code, nor I plan to “steal” their work to make something to compete with Simucube.

it’s true that anyone can develop their own things and not rely on any open source projects, but the time-cost is too high to build everything from scratch and it’s just not worth it. if you have done any software development, you’ve benefited from other people’s open source project that you don’t reinvent everything.

again, what open source brings is a lot of people can make their additions to the project and end up with many variations. it may be a good thing for the community, people may come up with more powerful things or more affordable systems, or something fancy. because they can add their work on top of the foundation.

but that’s not necessarily a good thing for the original developers, if they are not interested in that. it may hurt granite devices, just like Apple won’t open source iOS.

again, I think I need to make my point here: I’m not criticizing the team’s decision to keep the code closed, and I’m not saying you should open source. it’s just that I saw it as “open source” and thought I could make something on top of that. maybe that “something” I came up(or from some other people) can be an asset to the community in the future, but if people are happy with what they have now, it’s still a happy situation. (most people here are Simucube users so I understand it). what I know is that you don’t need an industry motor driver to drive a FFB motor, it doesn’t rotate at a constant RPM or is subject to violent load. there’s a lot can be simplified/designed for FFB. and there are people in the community can do this and there are people wiling to share their work. but like I said, driving the cost down is not the goal here. it’s to provide better FFB experience and user experience.(for current and future simucube users)

I appreciate what the developers have done for the community. I think it’s the “open source” title caused the misunderstanding. it’s that simple.

yeah, I understand your frustration and disappointment. However, the Open Source part was only meant to get a community building this better firmware for SimuCUBE. We decided to take out the open source repository when we saw some obvious copy product development happening in China.

However, if someone from the community wants to to develop support for new peripherals, new filters or other new functionalities to SimuCUBE, we will make it possible. Do not hesitate to contact us.

2 Likes

hi i have just upgrded to your new firmware.got to say it has a much better rubber connected to the car feel.however when playing assetto corsa i now have no fbb whist sat stationary turning the wheel.also how do i get the soft/steering lock to work right.it is still really violent when enabled.

Mika are you still going to publish polls on what to concentrate on next or have you a road map in mind?

Cheers

Did you read the User Guide right at the top? Assetto Corsa uses some damping effect to create the force effects when the car is not moving. The Beta firmware does not yet have this damping effect implemented.

By soft/steering lock, do you mean the bumbstops in the SimuCUBE configuration tool, or something that is in Assetto Corsa?

Looking at things that I didn’t get to do from the previous polls, and the immediate needs to get at least profile management working so that settings can’t be lost or that they at least can be saved&loaded to file on users computer, would give a good hint. More game support, and a better damping effect for bumbstops, as the current bumbstop damper algorithm is much too dependent on the encoder quality and will give hugely different type of damping with different encoders.

1 Like

Well I know whst feature I’m most looking forward to :slight_smile: I’ll give you a hit lol

Thanks again for the great work you are doing

I fully understand the decision. however I doubt your not-to-open source decision would be that effective if there’s really someone wants to get into the business and make something. there are ways to reverse-engineering Simucube hardware and just use the firmware with their reverse-engineered PCB. or they can just pack a STM32 board and a generic motor control board in a box and put MMOS in it. they won’t tell what’s running on the chips so what’s the difference. they can still make things to compete in this market.

I also saw some frustration on reddit and other places from other people.

the expectation from the simracing community is a open source(and improved) alternative to MMOS that they can expand/modify and adapt to other hardware/system, while the reality is this project is to build a better firmware for Simucube community, with the help from the (Simucube) community.

if that difference is clarified from the start there won’t such disappointment.

Major kudos to Mika and team for this firmware. I was able to load it up and test it for some hours last night in AC and Pcars. Both of those titles have zero grindy/crunchy feel at low speeds and top dead center now. There’s a layer of refined fidelity while not being overly sharp to the OSW now. It’s exceptional. I mainly used default TBW and Recon-5 for my testing.

Question regarding motor info: I chose the option of “i know my OSW works”. Does this option carry over the resistance data already existing in Granity or do I not understand that right? What information does that option actually carry over, and where does it pull it from? Also, if I had previously setup Inertia, Friction, etc in Granity, is that now overruled by the new firmware and must be set in the new config tool?

It pulls all the encoder and motor configuration related stuff from IONI (or Granity, if you put it that way). However, it does not download filter settings, those are required to be set via the Configuration Tool.

Okay, perfect answer. Thanks!