SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Well done gents, I’m really liking the Beta FW very much. rFactor2 FFB feels amazing using it. :smiley:

I have loaded a .drc file that I got from Brion in Iracing forums.
It seemed to somehow messed up the settings and motor could not pass the initialize phase.
At this point Granity showed ID6602 error.

Then I found an old .drc file of Baeno and loaded it.
It has fixed the ID6602 error and wheel was back but there was no feedback.
Then I checked the Granity again and saw that electrical interface was not choosen as SimuCube.
So I have changed this too. All Error messages has gone. But there was still no feedback.
I have closed and re-opened the SimuCube software and then all was ok.

But still I think the .drc file I have used is still not perfect.
So if anyone has a .drc file that will maximize the potential of:

SMALL MIGE 40K CPR
MEANWELL SDR 480 (The 480/720 model)
IONI PRO HC

Please share it.

Thank you.

It seems that everything has gone quite well during the night, and there have not been any showstopper issues. Some isolated cases with Windows loading incorrect drivers for the STM32 device in DFU mode. This is something that we, at this point, really cannot fix from our end.

About the DRC files:

If you previously used MMOS and did not make any hardware changes, then you should use the “my Ioni already works” -option in the Motor Configuration wizard as there is no need to upload any new motor settings in that case.

Few were bit lost on what to do so posted links on S397 forum hope ok :slight_smile:

Once I understood about “Enable DFU mode” and checking in windows “device manager” that “STM Device in DFU Mode” was present under the “Universal Bus Controllers”… it all went without any problems. It’s a really good upgrade - so far I’ve played with the reconstruction filter a bit, from “1” for a fast and lively feel to “9” for a buttery smooth feel. Thanks Mika for doing such an excellent job.

I cannot get Granity to connect - stuck on “searchin devices…”, when I go into MMos the Device Settings are empy, Small Mige, Granity 1.11.0

You must manually enable the granity usb connection mode in the Configuration Tool.

And you must not use MMos for anything anymore! :slight_smile:

That fixed it… I also needed to update my version of Granity from
https://granitedevices.com/wiki/Granity#Download

I promise not to use MMos again :sob:

Firstly, a huge thanks to all the guys who’ve developed and tested this Firmware. I can’t wait to get my SimuCUBE updated and running.

Speaking of which, I’ve encountered a problem and I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I’ve been using my SimuCUBE with MMos without any problem for ages so I figured I’d give this new Beta Firmware a go. I set MMos to DFU Mode and installed the Bootloader using DfuSe but now neither DfuSe nor Granity can see the device.

I’ve tried all sorts, even removing the device and trying to set it up again but with no success. I’m wondering if I may have inadvertently missed turning off DFU Mode in DfuSe but honestly can’t remember. MMos is still showing DFU Mode enabled. Is there a way to reset DFU Mode to Run that I’ve missed somewhere? Or what’s the best way to go back and start from scratch?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

you did open new app that came with firmware file and hit update like in picture on here ?

If there is a “SimuCUBE in Firmware Update Mode” device visible in your devices, then just hit the Update Firmware -button in the new SimuCUBE Configuration Tool, like Simon just said.

I will add more screenshots about the update to our wiki page to ease the migration.

@Simon_Jones Yes, ran the firmware update and all seemed to work OK. It says “Operational” and “E-Stop is released” in green on the left, wheel rotation works when I turn the wheel and the SimuCUBE Firmware (0.7.1), Configuration tool version (0.7.5) and IONI drive firmware version (10601) all look fine.

I just fired up Assetto Corsa and was able to drive, although the wheel still felt odd, eg light and a little ‘grindy’ but I guess that’s because it was all on default settings?

Maybe I’m just getting confused over nothing - I don’t see a ‘SimuCUBE in Firmware Update Mode’ in my Device Manager as suggested by @Mika. Is that as expected at this stage?

I’ll tinker about with settings and see if I can get something that feels right.

Thanks for your help guys.

Ah yes, you have now installed everything correctly. DfuSeDemo won’t see the device anymore unless you force it to DFU mode using the dip switch method. And the ‘SimuCUBE in Firmware Update Mode’ in Device Manager was just an intermediate step that you have already passed succesfully!

Granity won’t see anything, unless you press the Toggle IONI USB configuration -button.

Congratulations, and enjoy.

Thanks, @Mika and @Simon_Jones . You’ve made me very happy and relieved!

Time to go and fiddle with settings now.

Thanks again!

Not tried AC yet since update but will post what i changed in AC controller file when i get home in an hr or so :slight_smile:

That would be awesome, @Simon_Jones. A few pointers on what to set and where would be hugely appreciated. It was all very easy just using MMos but it sounds like NOT using it going forward will give a much improved feel once I get everything tuned correctly. Happy days!

Check out the osw owners thread on the official AC forums for AC settings and discussion

1 Like

So far, I have tried AC / AMS / and rF2 with the new FW and rF2 and AMS feel superb but, I need to go through my AC game-FFB settings and start from zero.

I’m very happy with the more refined overall feeling, the small Mige seems much quieter / smoother than before and I really enjoy the refined rubber quality I feel with the Recon filter. The open wheel cars in AMS / rF2 have a whole new level of front grip-loss detail that makes it feel like the wheel is really connected to a steering mechanism and rubber tires. The variation in track surface during cornering feels like never before - excellent!

Again, very well done and Thank You Mika, Tero and test crew!

2 Likes

Hi again,

Did your steering angle issue always happen only in RBR?

AC OSW thread is were i went main thing was this file setting
in AC main folder open system then cfg folder edit assetto_corsa.ini so gyro is at 1

[FF_EXPERIMENTAL]
ENABLE_GYRO=1
DAMPER_MIN_LEVEL=0.01
DAMPER_GAIN=1.0 ; Set to 0 for Logitech g920
my controller file not sure u need it start all effects in game at 5% add to your liking not got it feeling perfect yet but no noise or notchey feel in wheel. wont beat RF2 feel i think but should feel ok with tweaking
have SimCube set to 55% max and in game at 55 to 60 start low 30 to 40 all ok turn up :slight_smile:
450derg set in SimCube too