SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Odd, I tried like crazy to replicate the loosing of center by hitting every curb in sight and even some hard crashes but was unable to get mine to do the same. Does this happen with one vehicle in particular?

So far it has happened to me on the current WTCC 2017 event going for free on Race Room.

Hello:

I just read in the iRacing forums where the OSW SimCUBE owners can join this community to help give feedback on future firmware. I just built my OSW myself so I can have a full understanding of how it all works. Iā€™m still fine tuning it for each sim; mainly Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom and of course iRacing. If I can help with testing I would be glad to help.

That will be fine, i am looking for RaceRoom-settings.

Looking forward to get a firmware making the great simucube even better :smile:

For germans here, i have found grate settings for SimuCUBE:

Here are the final setting with a german video.

1 Like

Hope to see a great firmware soon

Yeah, the sound of crickets is getting deafening . . . :no_mouth:

We are working on it and making steady progress.

5 Likes

Looking forward to the new FW. :slight_smile:

Mika and Tero,

There have been several guys lately having issues having the Simucube plugged into USB3.0 ports. After moving to USB2.0 things are fine.
Is there any way in the new firmware to make the Simucube more compatible with USB3.0?

I would guess at some point we will no longer see USB2.0 ports on PC motherboards anymore.

Talk later,
Joe

Our firmware is running currently on an USB3.0 port. However, its only one computer (so far) and not very lengthy test sessions, so issues could still arise. The hardware (microcontroller) only supports USB2.0, so thereā€™s the limitation. Device descriptors and that kind of stuff should be backwards compatible, so there shouldnā€™t be anything there either. So, there is not much we can do.

My personal experience of USB3 has varied. I found that many wireless 2.4 GHz peripherals, such as Logitech mice and keyboards, will not function at USB3 ports, as USB3 emits just a tiny bit too much RF interference on that band. I had to move my cordless receivers away from the computer on USB extension cables to get my mouse and keyboard (Logitech Nano and Logitech Unifying receivers) to work properly.

Mika thanks for the response.

Another question for you.
Is the driver for the SMV2 portion of the simucube slightly different than the SMV2 used on the IONI1x?
The reason I ask is in the last few months I have talked to a few previous Argon users that switched to Simucube and had to install the ftdi chip drivers again.

Thanks,
Joe

SimuCUBE has a bit different and newer version of FTDIā€™s USB serial chip than what is used in SMV2 adapters so the older installed drivers might not have had support for it, hence the need to install the latest FTDI drivers.

1 Like

I currently use my SimuCube (both ports) connected via USB3.0 as my motherboard does not have any 2.0 ports. I donā€™t believe Iā€™ve had any issues, but should I put a 2.0 extension cable inline to force 2.0 mode?

No, as the microcontroller hardware only supports USB2.0 anyway, so it wonā€™t make any difference. Its already using 2.0 mode.

Using a USB2.0 hub in between can help if there is any incompatibility issues (bad motherboard drivers, etc.).

Perfect. Thank you, Mika.

I thought a periodic update in this thread might be a good idea. Please keep your comments and questions in the Discussion thread.

Update of May 25, 2017
Completed things:
Communication methods to/from a configuration tool have been designed.
Internal state machine on the firmware is now working.
Configuration tool on for PC is being implemented.

Todo-list:
Complete the configuration tool so that it at least minimally works.
Implement configuration of Ioni drive directly from the configuration tool.
Implement a few effects other than the constant force as required by iRacing. Goal: At least rFactor should be working before the first beta release.
After the first beta:
Implement buttons reading with debouncing.
Fix analog inputs to work correctly.

4 Likes

Great update, kiitos hyvin paljon!

Cheers,
Beano