SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Great, can’t wait! :grinning:

Good job guys!
Are we going to add an area to the forum where motor profiles and such can be uploaded to?

Talk later,
Joe

Great idea,
looking forward for all the new ideas coming from you guys.

Regards
George

A dream come true.
Now is started, that SimuCube will be even better, soon.

Great great news. Finaly some movement for our beloved simucube.
Would love to provide any kind of help with in my abilities.

Sim commander is a good example of how force feedback can be adjusted in detail.
On the other hand there is the example of Leo Bodnar Sim Steering system, which nails a good feeling with less complex interface (well ofcourse using single motor provider also help them achive this).

So final driver should be something that everyone can use without being a Servo engineer and focus on simple steering preferences only, with an advanced tab that will give possibilities to people who want to dive deep into fine tuning.

Excited already…

Looking Forward too :sunglasses:

This will be the next big Thing i guess.

Looking forward to the beta.

@Joe Yes, there will be a section for forum where the first betas will be published for first 50 registered community members + maybe few more.

Good to hear. Although I thought you could just fetch the firmware from github actually.

One question about the firmware: could an API be implemented that could be used by games to set the (lock-to-lock) steering angle?

It would have to be totally custom API with no support for that in current games. The benefit of that would not be great. We are developing SimuCUBE as a generic USB HID game controller device for start, but we do have ideas regarding better API’s.

Really looking forward to this… Awesome work guys…

Just tried to set up SimuCUBE for RaceRoomExperience and the difficulties I had in that reminded me how much a proper software driver is needed.

I also hope that it will be simplified UI for general settings and then advanced tab for tweaking.

Can you elaborate on the particular difficulties? I don’t have RaceRoomExperience, and most likely won’t get that.

I have found most other sims other than Iracing need a little mmos filter to avoid audible squeels from the servo. Iracing only runs 60hz force feedback other sims run a lot higher eg 360 hz and AMS can run 720 hz. But a little tuning and they all feel great.

Race Room Experience is F2P and it’s free to download from steam.

I’m having strange things happening in that title. For example when I try to ride kerbs, when I ever go over them it somehow sets a new steering center point. I have to escape to the menus and then back up in to reset the steering center point to normal.

Then I have very weird vibration going on all the time when driving eg. on straight.

Could be also that there is no proper support for the direct drive wheels which makes the experience less enjoyable.

Hi all, it’s great to have a central location to keep up to date with the progress and discuss SimuCube development. I’m excited about the future with SimuCube. :slight_smile:

Regarding RR FFB: I have struggled getting good FFB with the OSW and there are some downright odd behaviors with raised-curbs where the FFB pulls the wheel in the opposite direction (like the FFB is reversed but, it’s actually not) as expected / normal.

Good news
looking forward to some development on this!

Here are my R3E settings. I’m running a Simucube with a small MiGe w/10000 ppr encoder.

As for your problem loosing center this typically ends up being your split hub bushing on the motor shaft isn’t tight enough and when you hit curbs/walls it can slip. Be sure the splits in the two halves of the hub are opposite each other and that the Allen screws are VERY tight. You should tighten them in a criss cross pattern a little at a time until they can’t be tightened any more. Also you should you should be sure to clean the motor shaft and split hub with a high flash solvent like Acetone (finger nail polish remover).

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try your settings.

For the problem of loosing the center point when going over curb is not that the shaft is slipping as it does not happen on iRacing and in Race Room whenever the center point change happens, I can reset it right away just going in to menus by pressing ESC and it resets the steering center point to default I have set in MMOs when I go right back in to the game. So I am guessing it’s more software than hardware issue.

Very easy to delete this bad effect.
Look in the GameController.ini or prl in Documents MyGames SimBin Raceroom… im sorry, im not at my system, but you will find that:
FFB jolt magnitude=“0.9” // How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are. Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.
and put in 0.0
That will generate a stupid rotation to left in the wheel. If it’s at 0.0, its over with that unplausible effect.

EDIT:
Here, thats it:

1 Like