SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

I also had the issue updating from 0.9.10 to 0.10.1. It would not update automatically. Everything showed up normal though. I had to click on the update fw in the hardware tab to get it going.

Hi Mika. I actually also experienced the update issues. Coming from 0.9.10 and trying to update to 0.10.1 caused the config took to lock up (Not responding) and nothing more happening. Using the 0.10.0 Instead produces no issues, and from there I could go to 0.10.1.

Thanks for keeping up developing this great piece of software.

• Thomas

There have been some issues with the 0.10.0 and 0.10.1 releases not working for someone - for example, reports that 0.10.1 Configuration Tool just outright does not start.

I have tried to repeat this issue, but I havenā€™t been successful yet.

Investigations are continuing.

Good news is that Iā€™m on the summer holiday from my PhD related matters, so there is going to be time to get to some loose ends on the SimuCUBE in general, such as the open source repository setup.

5 Likes

I might have found the issue in 0.10.1.

Are there any pre-release testers today for 0.10.2?
Testing would involve

1. Does it hang anymore when 0.9.7 or 0.9.10 is running on the hardware?
  2. Does centering work ok with SinCos encoders

Opensource repository setup made a quantum leap today. All that is left to do isā€¦ add a nice header to the files, and then release!

5 Likes

I can test sincos entering issue, Mika, I will be home in 3 hours :wink:

Great news on OS repository too!

What is the best firmware upgrade path if you are currently using firmware version 9.7 at this point?

I have still been putting 9.7 on new builds for my customers as overall it seems to have been the most trouble free version.
I know some now want to upgrade to newer versions.

Joe:

0.10.2 once I get to release it, maybe tomorrow.

@phillip.vanrensburg check your pm :slight_smile:

Cheers Mika! Will do :slight_smile:

@Mika
Thanks for the info. I will keep an eye on bug reports for that version.

Are the newest Ioni firmware versions of any benefit to Ionicube 1x users?

@Joe: New FW have improvements on drive-controller level , at the minimum, it will not negatively impact the ionicube experience, whilst allowing users to benefit from the new regen algorithm etcā€¦

Unless a Mika advise otherwise, it will be good to upgrade.

Cheers,
Beano

I have tested 10.2-pre for Mika and have not found any issues. After flashing, I restarted Simucube after waiting the required 30 seconds, found sincos reading +3.2deg after reset, but simply setup hardware again, it was fine.

Also, no settings were lost, a simple and easy upgrade from 0.9.10.

Cheers,
Beano

3 Likes

There is a 0.10.3 pre-release now available, if someone would like such thing.

If it helps, I could test

1 Like

You can always send download link to me, I can test if I am around. Can do again today!

1 Like

happy to test as always Mika.
I have the 2048 Line SinCos as you know.
Although on 0.10 I have not noticed the offset in center, so perhaps this is related to different encoders?
Sean

Well, if there was something systematic, then it would show up for many users.

SimuCUBE used to (up until 0.9.10 or something) to read back value from IONI that is reset to 0 at the end of the phasing routine. This is exactly the same position each time, if the motor phasing happens in the same motor pole quadrant. Then an offset that user sets via the wizard is applied to this, to get correct center position.

0.10 line of firmware uses a never resetting mode, where the drive resets encoder position to 0 at system startup. It is non-zero at the end off phasing, and also this value is read each time. Then an offset that user sets via the wizard is applied to end-of-phasing value, and all of these offsets are used to get correct center position.

This works the same with every non-absolute encoder, so I wonder where an issue might be.

I can test if you still need someone.

1 Like

Mika I can test tomorrow on what ever encoder you need i have a Few here.

Cheers

Regarding the phasing issue, I used to have similar issues.

Prior to 0.10 I would have to set my wheel just a few degrees (say 10-15) to the right before powering on the Simucube and allowing phasing.
If I didnā€™t I would end up with a wheel that was off center according the Simucube app.
I think the main reason for this was that I had previously changed my rim to a new Ascher Racing button plate and the original center index point that I marked with a sharpie back when I first setup the OSW on MMOs was actually a little offset with the new Q1R.
So, until 0.10 I would have to make sure that the original sharpie mark was set to center, which meant the actual real rim was a little off to the right BEFORE powering up.
I have also changed to SinCos encoder along the way (from the 40K thing I had), so thereā€™s a few variables.

But from 0.10 I can turn on Simcube with my real wheel centered (of course after properly calibrating and saving) and itā€™s always good.

Now, if I purposely turn my wheel a few degrees to the left before powering on the Simucube, then itā€™s absolutely off in the Simucube app after phasing.
So that original index point is absolutely important somehow, and I wonder if thatā€™s the issue for many?

Mika - your thoughts on this are appreciated. Your post seemed to infer that the latest FW resets the center point every time, so in theory it should not matter the location of the physical wheel? Unless I am mistaken and not understanding what you meant?
If this is what you meant, it does not work as I described above.

Not that itā€™s a huge issue. I am in the habit of re-centering my wheel before every power phase, but itā€™s perhaps important info for you.