SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

AC ffb its not linear… its far far away from beeing

Where do you have that info from?

from the dev… ac has always been like that… because its design for consumer steering wheels. and useing it with a direct drive wheel you can feel it for sure!

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/linear-ffb.47331/#post-924826

im not able to see the ac forum… sorry i m no registered there. but if the ffb has not changed from the last year…thats not linear. sorry for the bad news

Basically Stefano is saying there that AC FFB is linear by default.
You can introduce a non-linearity using a LUT to fix the non-linearity of consumer wheels.

Are you sure, you didn’t just swap those two by accident?
It’s the consumer wheels that are non-linear, which is why some people use things like wheelcheck and LUT generator to fix that behaviour.

DD wheels on the other hand have very linear torque curves and thus no LUT or similar is necessary to achieve linearity.

I I think I get it how they base the strength… That does make it a little more difficult to judge relativity between cars though … I should go register for the AC forum to read all of that but I have a ton of other still on the plate…

The difference that the way AC does their settings will probably alter things in a little respect in that you are going to have to adjust the settings more often until you get the set-of cars that you drive to the point where they don’t clip… As if you get a new car in AC that clips you will have to turn down the gain in AC which will cause the wheel to run lighter but to get it back to your preferred strength you will have to increase he strength if you are not already at it at 100% in the SimuCUBE control panel.

Si I guess that answers the what will things mean for AC question way back… Otherwise of course if AC is using game applied D, F, I which may come later.

from Stefano himself : "it’s linear by default, you don’t have to do anything. "

maybe you meant lunar as there is no night in AC

A new pre-release beta version is available on request. Only thing I haven’t been able to test is that the UI actually shows somewhat sensible value torque on Mige, as my development rig at the office has a stepper with unknown torque constant…

2 Likes

Yes please . Would love to test it.

Well yes. We do know the factors, but first tests were not satisfying and then I ditched the approach for the moment being.
In the end, it doesn’t really matter that much, the FFB is great and that’s what matters. :slight_smile:

See, that’s the thing I tried to explain numerous times now. You don’t have to do that.
Just set the SimuCUBE to 100%, set the overall gain to something like 40-50% in AC and you’re done.
Now obviously, there is a 2× compression now in AC’s FFB signal, but it really does not matter.
It really doesn’t, trust me. :wink:

Testers report that feeling is OK or even better than before, but the torque estimation calculation is off.

If I have understood things correctly, the torque constant holds true with the maximum rated current (small mige: 12.86 A). Because is is dependent on the motor resistance, it won’t show 20 Nm at that current for most likely anyone. Makes me think that it should be “Estimated max torque” instead of “Actual max torque”.

1 Like

Would like to try the new build if possible

At 12.5a mine reads 30.36nm on small mige. Wish it was correct lol

I could also test new build if possible.

I got the same. Hit the Measure resistance & inductance button in the Machine tab in Granity, and see what it does then.

Now its 26.28nm, ML was 7.06 after measure it was 8.79nH thats a big jump normally it goes up by 0.x. Winding resistance was 2.3ish after meassure it was 2.6 which which gave 30nm before Meassure. Max_torque_output = torque_constant * (32.2 / winding_resistance)

So @Mika would the coil inductance being low influence the speed of the wheel?

https://granitedevices.com/wiki/List_of_motors_for_SimuCUBE
Max torque from the above is 26.24 so look s like it is max torque
If I set mmc to 9.88 closest you can get to 9.9a from the sheet then I get 20.76nm

Good call Ceolmor I recommend everybody remeasures their coil Inductance. Before measuring I tried the m3 at the drift track which was the last thing I was driving before .82 was on .71, It was almost impossible to drift the return was way too fast. After measuring it was like it was previously.

Please, I am ready for it! :grinning: