SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Why would this help with the grinding, I don’t get it?

It might not but its always best to have the most upto date drivers. I updated mine recently and gained a lot of performance with ai in AC for ages I couldn’t run more than 7 ai now I can run 24 with supersampling at 1.5 and reflections on medium. Nothing else has changed with my system. Nothing in the AC release notes suggests any gfx optimisation. I havent updated GFX drivers for a month or so and have had no steam updates or oculus updates for a while.

Another thing that has changed in the past week (running 071) is the lack of gogging I used to feel with low reconfilters . Which wouldnt dissapear till recon 9 now I can run 3 with no gogging and 1 with a slight gogging.

All the above mIght have nothing to do with the new usb drivers but it never hurts to have them upto date. I updated my motherboard drivers so In combination with the usb drivers they has solved 2 long standing problems Ive had.

An updated system is always good.

But mine is and I don’t think I have an isolated problem - I believe all simucubes are affected, its just a question if the guy behind the wheel can feel the grinding or not. That can be part of human sensivity, part sturdiness of the rig and wheel and for sure it is related what servo is used.

My rig is really crazy rigid. you can tap it with a screwdriver wherever you want, I will feel it in the wheel. Its a bit overdone…

But any suggestion is apprechiated! Can’t be that I am rolling back to my Argon OSW…

1 Valium before each session will solve your issue, you will not feel the grinding at all, you may b a bit slower but, you wont care either… SOLVED

No drugs man, no drugs :star_struck:

It’s due to the cross talk on the simucube board. But what you described sounds a lot worse than I get on my mige. With a Low tbw and gloves I can’t notice mine.

Well what you feel with your mige or not doesn’t solve my problem does it?
As I said, its for sure affected by different servo types.

And it would be sad if only a low TBW can be used - the wheel looses fidelity.

tbw 680hz is the best stetting on the small mige with simucube in my opinion.
no loss of feeling as far as i can notice and no weird sound or noises or feeling at all.

1 Like

To be precise it’s crosstalk noise between the current sense channels and encoder channels on the IONI drive (physical layout of IONI Cube or SimuCUBE could play a part, not sure). The higher the inductance of the motor the worse the crosstalk noise.

680Hz TBW and below enables a filter that reduces the noise. Also, the latest IONI hardware revision reduces the noise slightly further.

However, from what I understand, the only way to virtually eliminate the noise would be a redesign of the IONI PCB. I hope this happens, as I agree feeling the noise through the wheel is immersion breaking. Of course everything has to make sense from a business perspective for GD. With the direct-drive wheel market heating up, hopefully GD will be motivated to address the issue.

That is understand able on what you are saying but there are many many things going g o n behind the scenes this one is a performance and usability optimization which goes along side other fixes as well as interface changes and other additions… Mika is the programmer on this and in the end he gets to pick and choose what gets worked on and when… Some things need to be done as precursors to others and then some are diversions that get worked on when he needs a break from the harder issues to be able to take a clean look at it later… So things get done when they get done… I know the Reconstruction filter settings are being looked… Basically there are a lot of things that will actually make a difference so it is a matter of picking and choosing… I am sure that when mika starts working more on title compatibility there will also be things that change and make a difference for that particular title as of right now the focus is usability and getting little issues clear up…

As for the feedback One of the things that make iRacing easily compatible and why it is a supported title is their lack of use of other effects… iRacings baseline for force is no force from the telemetry and then it sends a Nm signal to the system for whatever the car wants… do it is direct and completely understandable that 5Nm form the car is 5Nm through force… and then it is scaled by changing the point at which the 100% limit is at .ie you set it to put 100% at 5Nm then that 5Nm will be 100%, 2.5Nm 50%… or if you set the 100% point at 20Nm the 20Nm is 100%, 10Nm is 50% and so on…

It baffles me a little that AC uses a track for baseline effects when it is the car that should be giving the effects not the track… But that is something entirely different… technically no car should clip at 100% force.

where do i see which revision i have ?

ordered mine only weeks ago directly from GD and I have lots of noise…

If this is really a design issue I will get back to the Argon till GD sorts this out.
What baffles me is that only a few are feeling it - it is not that subtle at all.

I hope Tero can shed some light on this matter.

Even me with the small mige you hear sand noise with TBW> 680, but it is very mild, and does not change in intensity even set to unlimited. I have to say that using headphones not known to touch no problem. But using a TWB above 680 I noticed that the reconstruction filter works better

Davy is correct that it is the current sense crosstalk issue. We have suspicion that it is more pronounced on the servos that have low friction / good bearings / high current, such as Lenze. I can hear it with Mige, but I can’t feel it at all on the wheel. Lowering TBW does help for the noise. We are investigating on making improvements to try to mitigate this.

3 Likes

Very good news Mika! Thank you!

Friday update: second tentative 0.8.x release happened to a select few. Two bugs were found, the other is an absolute showstopper. I will have time to fix it tomorrow!

5 Likes

Visit the IONI hardware revision page for details.

1 Like

McEnro you could always sell that “cheap” Lenze, and buy a big mige, go on vacation with the remainder of the cash and give your hands a shake break??? :wink: I am sure as the infinite changes happen in simucube, Mika and clan will be able to filter it out… or see above!

It’s not that dramatic - my trusty Argon OSW is just beside my simucube board (witch does not even have an enclosure yet…). :wink:

I just want a perfect DD FFB and therefore I hope we can get rid of the grinding.

Again, I don’t understand what you’re saying here.
AC is doing pretty much the same thing with the FFB as iRacing is.
The main difference is the actual physics.

This is how Stefano described it:
"in AC, “pure ff” is:

force and torques from tyres/springs/dampers/arbs -> suspension geometry -> steering rods -> ff output"

Where FF output means force generation by using the constant force function, just as iRacing is doing.

I don’t see where you get “track” or “baseline” effects.
There are some effect sliders, but everybody with a DD wheel should just turn them off anyway, so no point in discussing those.
There is also the use of dampening, but that’s only done when the car is standing and isn’t supported by the current FW, so doesn’t matter so far.

Edit: in the above, there is also an additional FFB multiplier for each car, but that doesn’t do more than the torque scaling in iRacing does, as far as I can tell.