SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

I use recon 5 with iracing. And recon 1 with assetto or automobilista

2 Likes

Good night to all.
I am sorry for the noob question.
Finally i am convinced to install the simucube open source firmware but a doubt remains. Where should i plug the usb cable at the back of simucube? In x3 connector or in x4 connector instead?
Again, i am sorry for the noob question and I want to thank you all in advance

It appears, that our wiki is down at the moment. However, the one nearest to motor and encoder connection is the one to use for FFB Firmware updates, and the other is for servicing the IONI servo drive. If you have a working system now with MMOS, then most likely you will not need to service the IONI drive before or after. However, you should check a few parameters beforehand with Granity, so that the firmware update will be fluent:

• Check that SMO (Bus Address offset) is 0
  • Check that Limit Switch Function (on faults tab) is set to “Do Nothing”
  • Check HV Bus Voltage on the Testing tab. Verify, that FOV (Over Voltage Fault Threshold) is at least 102% of that value, i.e., it should be 49.5 V for 48 V power supply to have some margin for PSU voltage variation.
  • Update IONI firmware manually to at least 10601 version or later, so automatic IONI firmware updates will work in the future.

I suggest you read the user guide (when our Wiki is up again).

https://granitedevices.com/wiki/SimuCUBE_Firmware_User_Guide

Thanks for your answer Mika! I already did that previous checkups. My remaining doubt was about the usb port i should use. As you said, i already use mmos without any issue so i will use the usb port that is connected normaly to my computer.
Thank you again!

I have been running the simucube with a large MIGE for a couple of days in Assetto Corsa and iRacing. I noticed that Asseto Corsa feedback is very soft in low speed turns and loads up during high speed turns. It’s very hard to get a good balance in force because if you increase it too much to get a good low speed feeling, you get way too much during high G force turns. I also have an Accuforce wheel and when using the Foundation mode that bypasses the games direct force feedback in exchange for physics derived force feedback, I can get more even forces applied to the wheel. I there anything in the works for Simucube that will allow for better compensation of this type of issue in Assetto Corsa (or other sims). So far I’m very happy with the way the OSW and Simucube feels but this issue is the only thing holding it back from being perfect, which is no realy fault of the Simucube but it would be nice to have some options. I have tried adding some friction and dampening but it still doesn’t feel right.

Currently there is no game telemetry interface things in the works.

Good tuning tips are here:

Thanks for the reply Mika. I’ve already read through all the tuning tips and have things working as per the recommendations. I was just looking to see if there were any additional enhancements in the works to help with the shortcomings in AC FFB.

It has been a little quiet around here lately.

Mika any update progress? :wink:

I’ve been busy with PhD stuff. However, DirectInput Damping effect rework is being done and now it works more like it should. I just need to finish up and release :slight_smile:

We will have to call you DR. Mika pretty soon!

Status update:

Damping effect now works more like it should. It is a separate effect which only alters the total setpoint going to the IONI based on how fast (number of axis value counts) the wheel has rotated (per milliseconds) times the PositiveCoefficient that game is setting for it. Milliseconds and axel count values are kept in check with floating point precision using a microsecond-accurate timer, and the result is also passed through a low-pass filter.

Desktop centering spring now has separate “strength” and “saturation” sliders, as per @mascher suggested. The desktop centering spring also has a low pass filter that is not user adjustable for now, but it should keep oscillations in check without adding too much delay, which would again add oscillations…

5 Likes

So, any up for a new round of pre-release testing starting today evening? I will try to release on Thursday evening if everything goes well.

2 Likes

i have my new rim and button plate since yesterday and planned to do a few hours of running on sebring this evening in the ferrari gte anyway.

i could install a new version upfront and run with that.

right now i am on the latest public beta.

I will have some free time later so count me in Mika, always good to help.

I can do some testing as well Mika. Let me know when you are ready.

Hey Mika,
I could give you a hand with that tonight as well. I could even test it with F1 2017 if that helps!

No fix attempt to F1 2017 yet.

I’m in the process of compiling this thing, pre-release for testers should happen soon.

im at home, i have some hours tonight.

Need to run one additional test to verify that the translations also work :slight_smile:

… and they didn’t. But now they do!

1 Like