SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Thanks Mika, if still testing with other fixes on the way, I’m more than happy to wait until it’s all sorted. You are doing great service. If you also specifically want me to test the boot issue you are more than welcome to send a test version when ready too…

1 Like

OK I didn’t quite think that through or else I would have figured it out that it had to be off of the set strength since we have it control the MMC…

OK, since my rig at home does not seem to have working index point signal, is anyone willing to test the current version? @GlobeSpy perhaps? I could compile the next 0.9.8 prerelease soon.

Mika i can test it if you like i have a Small Mige with a SinCos encoder.

Of course! Happy to help

Weekend update:

Beer is good, especially when there is an Australian test monkey to drink it with.

Also some work regarding some Directinput effects that do not work according to the specs, reported by some developers over email.

This all has delayed the open source repository setup, but there has been progress on that front too.

The centering bug fix is done, just needs more testing.

2 Likes

Beer was really good! :slight_smile:

Bloody awesome weekend with Team Granite!

1 Like

Sounds promising! Beer is good!

hey guys,
what recon filter are most people driving these days?
how do you guys cope with the noise/sand feeling at highspeed corners on these wheels?
yesterday i received my new rim. before i was driving a simracingcoach adapter for my old thrustmaster wheel on my big mige. it worked fine so far. but their connection to the motorshaft always felt a bit flimsy for what these beasts actually deliver on power, it was squeaking and simply didnt feel bolted on. also the smaller diameter thrustmaster wheel felt like a toy.

so with the new wheel it feels MILES better (should have done that months ago…). the 32cm diameter is so much better it feels way more connected to the motor itself.

but now i feel more noise or like sand in the faster corners. i guess thats to do with the motor itself?
any ideas how i can minimize that without sacrificing the details?

also, is it normal that there is this weird notchy feeling when standing and turning the wheel left to right. hard to describe but you can feel quite pronounced. anybody ever encountered that? is that to be expected? can only work against that with a high recon filter atm.

happy for any help. thx guys :slight_smile:

(talking only about iracing here, tested with the ferrari gte yesterday for some time nothing else)

Try to use lower Torque Bandwidth limit (somewhere like 680 Hz or 1000 Hz would be a good starting point in regards to lag vs. noise), and also manually reduce the MR and ML values in Granity.

It happens on many motor types.

Someone has just reported similar things. For an interesting test, you could test with the SimuCUBE Configuration Tool open vs. closed. I recently found a relationship with some slight once per second miscalculation of effects when I had the tool open, and it will be mitigated for the next firmware version.

1 Like

wow fast reply. awesome. :slight_smile:
thx a lot mate.

yes, i thought that it would be something that could be the motor itself with the sandy feeling. i already tried reducing the torque bandwith limit, but that didnt really help. i will look in to the MR and ML values though. thx for the tip. i have the big mige and drive it nowhere near its limit, so i think i could actually turn those values down quite a bit without sacrificing the power i like.

will try with the configuration tool closed tonight, havent done that. i tinkered with it yesterday and always left that open. thx again for the tip.

one more question though, whats the best practice to tackle oscillation? i realized yesterday down the straights i get that quite a lot if i let go of the wheel. played around with the settings but couldnt find a way to get rid of it without sacrificing the power and feel of the wheel itself. (the iracing damping oscillation acutally does the opposite for me which is weird)

People use damping and friction to try to find a good compromise feeling w.r.t effects and oscillation. Some try to tune the torque notch filter to correct frequency but it is more difficult to get right.

thx again.
yeah, the notch filter is something i really dont understand yet.
have to tinker with it a bit more.

friction feels kinda wrong to me, but damping can feel natural. will def try that.

thank you mika.

Is there a possibility to have some sort of live tuning scenario in the Config Tool for this? Like turn on tuning -> make the game oscillate -> config tool calculates best case values for the notch filter -> hit apply and test

1 Like

ok…

i was at work earlier today. so when i read your answer i assumed you meant MCC and MMC …

but MR and ML is coil resistance and coil inductance.

how low can i actually go with this? or what would happen if i go to low?

my measured resistance and inductance were: MR 1.25 and ML 3.4 (at full power that is)

thx in advance

Try to halve them. They have an effect in the drive internal parameters which can reduce the noise from the motor.

1 Like

ok. i think that helped actually.

its completely acceptable now and a few laps around nurburgring right now and i forgot about it and just was mad at myself that i didnt toss out the thrustmaster rim when i received the damn osw.

the whole experience is enhanced with a proper real rim. unbelievable. holy crap what a difference the rim actually makes…

i cant get rid of the notchy feel when standing still though. its weird. when i am driving its not there. or its covered under all the other infos coming at me through the wheel. maybe its something related to iracing and especially the car.

will come back after a test with the skippy real quick.

thx mika for your help. really appreciate it.

edit: also, whats really weird is the iracing dampening effect. might be something wrong with my ini but i’d rather not mess with the iracing dampening. it actually introduces oscillation for me from the get go. really weird. i have the oscillation now under control with bit of dampening and a bit of friction. feels kinda numb when standing still but doesnt make a difference when driving.

hm no the notchy feel is there in every car. especially with recon near zero. really weird. gotta look further.

that is probably the iRacing’s low 60 Hz update rate that is coming through.

ok yeah you are right i dont know what it is but its seems to be about iracing. just fired up pcars2 for a test. doesnt feel like that at all. there is no notchy feeling at all.

do you know if irFFB with their higher update rate works for simucube already?

thx

edit: so the simcuube recon filter is able to smooth out the slow update rate from iracing right?