Simucube 2 True Drive software feedback thread

Hi @Mika, i’m new here and curious about this platform.

i’m waiting for my Sc2 Ultimate from RaceWerk. You think that RW is a good/serious distributor ?. I’m completely new on Simucube/OSW. Anyway, i want to ask you some questions :).

1. You know if an API Set (SDK) is provided for your Sc2 platform ?. On my spare time i want to write a little app for smartphones to control all settings via touch screen without continuosly switch windows or exits from sims “full screen” mode. I think that this can greatly help for fine tuning and better profiling.

2. I don’t know if the problem was fixed but in case it’s not fixed, you think that ( for now ) i can mitigate the problem with USB bandwidth with a dedicated PCI-e card ?.

3. Why Sims or ( true drive ) is not capable to dinamically change settings based on telemetry from simulators ?. Is not a good idea if parameters like Inertia, Friction, Gain, Damping, RECON and others can dinamically adjusted based on telemetry, steering angle/car inclination and be able to change all feeling in Realtime ?.
    you can call it (Drive Match) or something like that. Can be a premium unlockable features at around 59 / 99. Even a Db with all car manufacturers official specs ( like REAL power steering / Steering torque Nm can be matched ) can be a nice add or a section where users ( drivers / teams ) can fill this DB with their findings on real tracks and cars. This is the real advantages that your product have to offer. it’s not a g29… Granite Device says that your products are the Ultimate , says ( only good is enough ) and it’s strange that features like this is not present in your software.

4. You think that a pedals with RJ12 connector can be converted to be used with your SC2 ( accessory port ) and obviously mapped as ANAlog inputs on True Drive ?.

that’s all for now :).

thank you.

1 Like

Hey, i’ve watched your videos but honestly this is what high performance servos sounds like when you try to develop a good firmware to use it. If you go to a factory where servos like this is used… you can’t stay in for more than 3 minutes. I’m waiting for my SC2 Ultimate but i just know that it’s more than probable that i have ( at least ) the same exact noises you have with your Pro unit. Price don’t give you nothing about this things.

A little bit of Coil Wine or noises is absolutely normal , expecially with some settings. That a DD is dead silent ( it’s a legend ) if you don’t use a really safe settings.

Now that we have pretty much completed the hardware and initial software project, we can look into these things. Most likely your smartphone app would have to communicate with an application on the PC, and we would need to have an API to expose the current profile parameters on PC. It is exactly these things such as advanced API’s that we will look into next. Feel free to PM me some specifications so we can start to think what to do, and to maybe narrow the scope a bit. Perhaps the API will go through the True Drive software directly?

A dedicated USB card has solved the USB bandwidth issue always. Only some AsMedia and VIA USB3 chipset are confirmed to have issues. Also some HMD devices (VR glasses) hang up the USB bus while SteamVR starts, which makes the FFB effect initialization things not to get through to the device. But this affects also other devices (Thrustmaster etc).

We are looking at telemetry based FFB - a reader is already developed for one of the most popular simulators. The problem thus far has been that it takes a lot of time to interface with a simulators, and to generate relevant FFB signals based on telemetry. The simulators themselves do not have any realistic data on what the friction and damping felt at the steering column is, and that is the main limitation. But we are investigating some innovative ideas!

a pedal with RJ12 input does not really say what the signal is. The accessory port has 4 analog 0-5V inputs. If your pedals are load cell pedals, a separate load cell amp circuitry is required inbetween.

Hope this helps; I might amend the reply tomorrow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I disagree, my Bodnar SS2 was practically silent where as the SC2 Ultimate makes a lot more noise. I’ve got used to it now but it shocked me at first as it’s noisier than either the Bodnar, Lenze OSW or Accuforce I’ve owned previously.

Argon, IONIx1 and Simucube with Mige on MMOS was quiet as long as you did not run the filter on low settings.
You could make it noisy and feel quite digital at certain settings. Some of the settings we played around with in the early days would vibrate the fillings out of your teeth!

The noise depends mainly on the aspect that how quickly you want the shaft to follow the reference signal. If loose control is acceptable, then low noises are possible, but the more quickly you want the servo to follow the reference signal, then more audible noises will be created. Assuming that electrical designs are of equal quality and has low signal path noise by its design, then, when you have low noise servo equipment, its overall control is tuned to be “loose”, not “tight”. Bad electrical designs can also induce noise from the motor.

Our principle is to have as tight control as possible but with acceptable sound characteristics from the device. We want to make as low noise equipment as possible but some characteristics are more important than sound especially the ffb feeling.

2 Likes

SS2 is known to “oversmooth” the signal quite a lot. That’ll definitely add to the characteristics of low noise.

Hello Mr. Mika, :).

for what i read here you are for sure a pretty clever technician/engineer. :wink:

Remote Control
For remote control over API i think on a little server from the Host App ( a little module integrated on True Drive and this is good because true drive have to be always on, right ?. I have to try binding some slider vith python and remote it to xcode SDK or Android IDE.

I think even without directly expose crucial API or write frameworks some binned sliders can be useful via true drive with the help of a little html/css based APP on smartphones.

Mixed FFB telemetry.
Ahh Mika, you say me things that i don’t know… :|… Really the telemetry from those SIMULATORS don’t give realtime value for this data??.. i’m shocked :|… what simulate this things ?. i have to learn about this.

Pedals
Excuse me, Mika. you are right :sweat_smile:

pedals kit like Fanatec v3 or v3 inverted etc and i perfectly know that this kits is not the best of the best but is not that bad and i think can be an advantages. i don’t know the diagram but i think is not to much complicated to reverse it.

Anyway, i have a lot… of ideas on how to dramatically improve and increase this things. This things have to evolve and this is possible only via software because i think the hardware is 4 times better than software.

I really hope… that my Ultimate Unit is shipped as promised from Racewerk but i’ve read about late september!!! instead ( in august ) as claimed from racewerk web store.

Sorry for my over modified ( first post ) :).

Hi Si-Po,

your unit is certainly one of the best out there but you have to understand that even Bodnar don’t expose you the entire story :). The settings you can play with that unit is “balanced and controlled” to be advances, yes, but ( safe ).

For Lenze, OSw, accuforce…
i’ve tryed all of this motors but, honestly, this new units for SC2’s is different for what i can read onm specs… the Ultimate is on another league… totally. the performance of this motors are spectacular. the only data that i don’t knwo why is not present is the official sustained torque level/decay ratio and rpm but other than that the specs are really impressive.

Really not sure what you’re trying to say, you realise I have an Ultimate?

I’ve had it for 2 months, there’s no doubt that it is significantly better than any of my past DD wheels my only complaint is that it’s noisier. However if a little extra noise is the price you have to pay for lower latency and higher fidelity then I’m okay with that.

True Drive does not have to be on for Simucube 2 to work. We will think about such API’s but at the moment, we are focusing on some new usability developments, FFB filters and perfecting few other things. Next after that is potentiall telemetry integration for some added FFB effects. So, please not hold your breath on this…

The FFB data is some function of simulated/calculated torque on the steering column. There has not been any interest thus far on the sim developers to get any other types of data, as the damping and friction effects in directinput interface are not well defined, based on arbitary units (axis counts) instead of real units, etc.

Not too complicated to reverse engineer, but may run into issues if directly implementing support for hardware that we can’t control, that is, hardware that is not made by us or made for us.

I drove a little today. I think the spikey and high frequency FFB is the culprit for the noise. Bodnar is smoothed to eternity, which is why it’s super silent.
The worst offender was AC, in my experience.

Will test s little more tomorrow.

I wanna remind of this again, it’s super frustrating to enter whole numbers (for example in the bumpstop slider, once you lost the default 900 it’s impossible to enter it again).

you can use arrow keys (left and right) for that.

Implementing an editable text setting field for a slider double the amount of code required and quadruple the amount of testing and maintenance work. Its is likely not happening as the OS does give means to fine-tune a slider without that.

1 Like

Can i change settings in true drive on the fly or do i have to restart something to get the new settings active?

On the fly. You can test it out and save after if you like it…

2 Likes

Tried your AMG Settings from a few days before, have to say, you sir are a monster!

I do a little workout for myself but Max force 35/45 is way too heavy for my pussy me, especially today on iELMS on Le Mans :joy:

Lols.

It just takes time getting used to, Revan. Couple of months at that level and you will settle down. Of course, pretty tough in the beginning, just take your time and you will get there :slight_smile:

Working out in the gym every once in a while helps too, of course, hehe. Of course, whether it’s realistic or not, is another story. But that’s the beauty of these DD wheels, there is a setting and level for everyone.

I would advise people to use whatever feels best for them. I basically post my settings only for the filters, if peeps want to try them out, but they can of course lower torque if that suits them better.

1 Like

Would it be possible to give us an option to disable the LED disco on the back? Or do I need to tape it?

It would of course be possible with a firmware update, but there has to be something external to indicate that the device might produce potential hazardous torque levels. Please suggest a less “disco” led pattern if you come up with something, although we do not promise to implement it.

You don’t need to permantly tape it. One option would be to cover it with clean tape, and then use a black marker on the tape. It will reduce the visibility but there would still be a way to see any status if you look closely.