Simucube 2 True Drive software feedback thread

Would you like to order them by name or what?

by name would be okay, if a manual order like we have in td classic isn’t possible

also, “set profile as default” is not centered and top and bottom lines are cut, I guess font is too large

yeah, that is a known issue, we have put it up as a task to tidy up that menu.

1 Like

The offline mode is meant to be a fallback option if Internet is not available, so we are not aiming to spend too much time and effort to improve it.

1 Like

Mika that contradict your own statement

That is after going through that unnecessary hoop by creating user profile the user wouldn’t have to bother with online thingy and left alone.

Its actually not a contradiction.

The offline profiles can be used if one prefers to limit the user experience to the one that is available in that mode.

Nobody would “prefer limited user experience” that statement is logically flawed just like some of Musk’s polls.
The promise was that offline users experience will be the same spare access to online features.
Now we will be getting second if not third grade treatment?
Fine, no reason to update from Classical then. :-1:

8 Likes

Yeah classic mode is a lot more user friendly and intuitive

I tried paddock, didn’t like it so went back to 2021.7 which seems stable so far

Only problem I see is if new features come out we’ll be forced to update which I’m not that keen on if we’re not getting a classic mode or proper offline mode

6 Likes

same for me Andrew, I updated to 2021.8 but, if it will be the last release with classic td, it will also be the last update for me, at least untill some major new features will be implemented for filters and such.
it should be clear by now that the number of users not interested in paddock is not small, basically all simucube1/osw guys that upgraded to sc2 - i’m in that category - and also a lot of “newcomers” since 2019 with the first launch of sc2.
paddock could be useful for complete new starters into the dd world, i get it. but forcing a vast number of users to set for something less than what they already had isn’t something i was expecting from granite. and i know mika, even if you will say it isn’t anyhting less than classic, maybe there is a reason why paddock is perceived this way.
i bought the sc2 right after launch, 2nd batch iirc, and i had big hopes for the development on the software side, instead as much as it hurts to say, nothing has been done in a little over 2 years. and now i, or better we, are forced to adapt to the needs of new users, all in the name of semplification, which maybe is not the main reason many of us bought sc2 in the first place.
last thing, i might be wrong but i fear paddock will only be used by new users in a closed circle, without “more experienced” users sharing their profiles, which even in the case it would happen it won’t be the asnwer to the difficulty newcomers have in setting ffb parameters in td. 90% of the profiles i saw in paddock are…bad.

8 Likes

Just my thoughts:

Just refining the “simple mode”, with more granularity in the 2 available slider, would have achieved something easy and simple for all newcomers.

Right now “simple mode” is a joke, each sliders has 4 steps only… Now that time passed, looks like It was a shortcut and a waste of time and resources. Like any other time invested on True Drive ( not too much by the way, only a few patches to cure Bugs and malfunctions).

That Will be the case with the new Paddock software and Firmware 2.0? To me, looks like new software or servo will be ready on the Next 2 years and Paddock Will be abandonware too

5 Likes

Paddock will be our full focus for our current and future products for years to come. It is a part of a larger software rewrite, and not just a feature of a software.

1 Like

One rewrite after another, misguided product direction with complete disregard of a large portion of long term loyal user base, endless internal tinkering that just brings new bugs without real benefit for end user.
And 2 years later we are still waiting for promised Recon v2.
I really love SC2, hardware part is flawless, but the way the software design and development are done is just appalling.

7 Likes

Hopes are Hi on my end, im patient enough to wait for a version that suits my needs. Meanwhile I keep learning to master TrueDrive.

Hopes are Hi too relative to new InHouse Simucube wheel, my mind tells me that one wheel that fits all SC2 bases will create THE DEFAULT PROFILE that suits all of us.
If no, and only 2 analog paddles and 2 info leds are the new additions, then It Will be a no go for me

I can elaborate a bit. True Drive has its origins as a side project companion application to the Simucube 1 firmware. It was partially rewritten when Simucube 2 was released and Simucube 2 specific features were added. Some code tidyups have been done in the background, but early in 2020 we realized that it is just too specific for Simucube 2 wheelbase and it would be very difficult to support it in the long term. Adding support for new types of hardware would be a real pain. Same applies also to the firmware, applications specific and thus hard to understand without familiarizing quite a bit before changing anything. This was stumbled upon many times when we expanded our developer team.

Therefore we implemented two things:

• profile management in another place, not in the PC software and not in firmware. We can leverage the help of modern web technologies in this and are not limited to aging c++ style applications. This allows to clean up the code from True Drive and the firmware as well, and True Drive will only need some parsing function to send parameters to device.
  • Firmware rewrite. This has been largely done now, and I’m currently driving with Firmware 2.0 for the very first time as I write this. Now the firmware is much more modular to what is was before, and it is easy to add new modules and features, some of which are now in planning and in development.
  • Filter development. Recon Filter 2 development advanced to some state, but we couldn’t make it work well enough for all games as the update rates and such were different. It is still on the drawing board, though.

Simucube Wireless Wheel 2 support is also a part of the Firmware 2.0. Its firmware implementation is also much more simple on the new firmware than how it used to be.

The next step is the complete rewrite of the True Drive software, without having such hard-coded things that make it just a wheelbase tuning tool. This will allow True Drive to be the one and only application for all current and upcoming simulation hardware we are currently developing.

4 Likes

FFB feel will remain very subjective, though. I doubt we could make any official profiles for a particular wheel.

I hope it won’t be a case of “the operation was successful, but the patient died”, but imho a LOT of ground has been lost. A full year with no benefit to any end user yet & competition that just exploded.

I am sure you guys are having some heated discussions on why the patient is left to suffer, with no meds, for such a long operation.

Good luck on catching up, 1 year gone, here’s hoping for some REAL end user improvements & filters a long long time before another year has passed.

7 Likes

@kledsen - what improvements are needed?

I may be a new customer to the ecosystem but I received tremendous benefit from the first moment I plugged in the SC2 - it was smooth and vibration free, something that had bothered me on my prior Direct Drive since I got it.

I suspect the SC2 series hardware is just better.

Sure I’d love to see some bells and whistles but I suspect as developers continue to improve DD support in sim racing titles, we’ll need those bells and whistles less and less.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m wondering aswell. I have little to complain about sofar and GD have been quick to respond to the small problems I had. I’m no long time user but communication seems to be very open. Danger of open communication like that is often that expectations rise sky-high but personally I like the approach. Of course opinions can differ but some replies in here are imho harsh and rather (passive) aggressive. I’m more of a positive feedback type I guess :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ouch! So future Simucube product will be a button box only, not a complete wheel…

My thoughs are that a servo&wheel combo must facilitate all profiles weirdness as It is now, having a proved wheel and calibrated servo for it, is a must for “lazy” newcomers