Simucube 2 True Drive Paddock - Feedback and suggestions

Afaik its not only Paddock. They reworked the complete code base of the firmware to implement new features now faster.
Also I doubt that all devs only work on the web part and paddock itself. :slight_smile:

Thanks for confirming the needs :slight_smile:

We’re currently roadmapping some big moves on SW/FW that will definitely keep Simucube on the top of the hill - no doubt on that! Actually some of the ideas here are already work in progress. Recent FW rework was part of the plan.

However, it’s worth noting that the new features are likely to be released as a major SW update with release date to be announced later. This is because some of the features depend on deep rooted changes and require high amount of RnD to make it absolutely granite-robust and market leading performance.

13 Likes

@Tero i am sure that all of us appreciate your feedback and i am personally excited for what is coming next. All of us here have invested in your products and GD and we want to see it to continue thriving. Occasionally we are trying to give you some constructive feedback from the customer/end user’s point of view. Of course i do not expect new features to be released shortly as these take time to develop, but hope to hear soon your announcements.

All the best!

2 Likes

I only said new wheel due to how things usually happen. Not saying that Simucube is like this. You always hear NEW feature now available with the new V3 wheel of some other crap.

1 Like

Mate there is no need to explain :grinning:, your message was absolutely clear. I was only joking/teasing and agreeing with your concern.

1 Like

The steady increase in problems with TD clearly shows that the software has become a problem child; or maybe one that doesn’t get the attention needed. This due to a lot of reasons:
Strategic decisions had to be made before in January 21 Asetek A/S issued new shares to raise capital which was invested in funding Granite. For those in charge at Granite it’s a reward for their long time work and for the company a possibility to grow and expand with sustain. Such deals absorbe a lot of time and people can’t totally concentrate on the daily job.
The decision to launch the Tahko wheel wasn’t timed very clever imo and wasn’t really successful either. It took much to much manpower/know how away from the main business. Not to forget that the Simucube 2 models were introduced 2019 and AFAIK are produced in Estonia, so another process that needs time to run smooth and the quite small team has to master. It’s no coincidence that the new pedals from Asetek, launched a week ago, are in the same colours like the Simucube products. It’s another step towards an ecosystem which is a decision always has pros and cons and raises resistance. Such a strategic decision is very intense, can lead to fractions and heavy discussions.
The resistance against the direction TD went was totally nerv recking for Granite, even the decision was made long ago and never had a chance to overthrow anything. Granite could have tell this but decided to “discuss” this with the community and again wasted time and human resources by paying respect to a few egos (some always think because they were the first who bought they are part of the family and get angry when they find out that they are customers). Granite team is full of kind and good people, unfortunately, sometimes that doesn’t pay off.
Fast growing companies are often victims of their own success and the main problem is the lack of special trained personnel and the exploding amount of back office operations and work coming with it.
We are costumers that already bought and those potential ones will always be more important. That is business and nothing bad. We can let them work and see what we get in return or dream on that “we” have an influence to what they will do. It’s very naive to think that something launched can be changed through obstruction. What we get today is what was decided a year ore more ago. I myself never had a problem and am convinced it’s the best DD out there. The idea/fear they throw a new product like V3 soon is totally unrealistic and if they really do they have a Napoleon syndrom (joke). All they have to do know is concentrate more on the software and sort out these problems.
I wrote this to remind that the sun doesn’t rotate around the earth, but the earth around the sun. It’s a lot more complex than it looks like.

1 Like

? The latest version is the most bug free version of the True Drive software, although one or two bugs are there right now.

You can look it that way - but its not how we looked at it when considering that arrangement.

True, a part of the firmware rewrite did include improving documentation, code quality etc. And also we got to train more of our own engineers to get familiar with the code base. Keep in mind, that its not just the device software and pc software that is to do with a product, lots of unseen software is also involved.

True - the wheel was maybe a year late compared to the features we decided to put on it. However, there is a logical decision why we put it to the market. We just can’t rely on other people’s products to keep our wheel base a viable product - we need to offer at least some type of wheel to go with it, with more products in the pipeline. We are seeing difficulties right now with almost every wheel builder and even F conversion makers - components are getting difficult to get if you didn’t invest in stock a year ago.

It is a total coincidence that they chose similar (but not the same) colors for their brand.

That is true - implementing all the offline mode things probably removed the opportunity to do something that would have been more useful with regards to FFB feel.

This is especially true now when one has to plan all product launch efforts and buy components even year or two years in advance.

3 Likes

With respect, and also not wanting to keep going in circles over old arguments, there wouldn’t have been any time lost if TD had been left in it’s original ‘offline’ state. It was perfectly serviceable just as it was/still is.

If offline features had to be added into Paddock then that’s on Granite and not the people who at the time argued for better filters as a priority over online profile sharing.

9 Likes

Fixed that for you.

6 Likes

Your opinion has been noted many times, so whats the additional point you want to make?

1 Like

Not my only opinion. And I wouldn’t even call it an opinion, just a simple fact.
And you are trying to twist it saying that implementing offline mode for online sharing is what held FFB development back. Really?

5 Likes

I am surprised to read that you could have improved the FFB, but that it was not possible for many of the reasons mentioned above.
I think you should have asked and made the necessary improvements for a better FFB, I hope that this improvement will still happen.
:ok_hand:

1 Like

As you know, Mika, I never had any problems with TD, hardware, the company, the philosophy…in fact I have been happy from day 1 till now. I thought it would be good to see everything in a wider aspect, an overall analysis (kind of). Yeah…

From what I saw the increase of wireless wheels having connection problems
The amount of posts claiming to have all of a sudden a “grainy” FFB also increased. I never had this and my wheels are all powered through active USB. Based on the assumption that not all of postings were “phantom pain based” we could say that either firmware updates and or TD had bugs. I see this as a almost logical event from what I posted before. Tbh I think you (Granite as a whole) mastered this very classic economical situation real good. Believe me, I saw that exact same situation turning into tragedies and nightmares.

It will, but it will now be likely released as part of the wider thing Tero hinted above. We didn’t want to make a relatively short lived API changes between the device and the PC while the project that was pressing on is more deep rooted software rethink so that the development is shared between developers more easily.

2 Likes

@Mika cant wait to see what you guys are planning to do!! Very excited about that. Now on the debate online sharing VS better FFB feel, i am 100% sure that all of us would appreciate and value the FFB feel more and there would be 0 debates, but that is done now so no point discussing it. Lets focus on the future! :grinning: :pray:

5 Likes

And also the API between the device and PC is pretty complicated and difficult to maintain. Not easy to add e.g. telemetry support, or support for more devices. So thats what the wider rework is about.

2 Likes
1 Like

Guys, if you feel there is too little going on in SC2 / SW development, I can assure it’s just “the silence before the storm”. We have doubled SW team size in the past year and working harder than ever. It will pay off. Big projects just take time to mature :slight_smile:

14 Likes

oooh interesting! :smiley: do we have the right to have some information about what it could change? or it remains secret? :smile:

2 Likes