Simucube 2 True Drive Paddock Early Access

This feature is on the ideas list. It is a good idea, but it requires to have an installer (and autoupdater maybe) for True Drive, so one can register for example simucube2truedrive:// URL handler that would pop up True Drive directly.

1 Like

Having to register for this Paddock stuff isn’t that big of a bother to me.

What’s far more worrying is the huge increase of posts over the last 10 months stating that something that was working has now broken after a firmware update.

All that’s happened during this transition is that GD has swapped customer requests for FFB profiles into customer requests to help them get their wheelbase working again.

That’s not progress.

4 Likes

Yes, that is very unfortunate and regrettable, but we managed to get the firmware on a solid ground again for this 2021.8 release. The issues of non-working wheelbases (not starting properly or some FFB resets when driving or such) were caused by really unexpected thing - a behavior we surely weren’t expecting, and were looking for the fault from the wrong place. We had to experiment with a few testers during the last few weeks that were suffering with the issue to get the data…

I completely understand that there’s no possible way that you would ever had intended to introduce any faults into the updates and don’t ever doubt your commitment toward fixing those issues. Sorry if my post came across as being overly harsh :slightly_smiling_face:

Looking in from the outside with no insider knowledge of what goes on, I still can’t see how the introduction of Paddock has given GD or yourself any resources back.

This is purely a guess but surely you’ve had to spend more time on the above issues than you would have by directing new users to this forum for profiles and FFB settings advice.

At the moment I still have the same viewpoint that I had after the initial announcement. If Paddock is only to be a profile sharing service then I think it will have been a waste of your expertise and talent.

Going by the hints you gave earlier though, it should turn out to be more than that and I really hope it does turn out to be something worth your time and effort as I’d be willing to give it a try at that point in time.

2 Likes

Mika, is it really 2021.8 or something that is coming in the future?
Based on your post here, USB fix is only getting ready for testing and adaptive current measurements that was disabled is only a temporary thing.
That doesn’t sound like “solid ground” with all things sorted out to me.

2 Likes

USB fix is already in (all changes were reverted).

But we have reimplemented the changes on a new version of the ST Microelectronics USB library which seems to have fixed the issues. This was done in the Firmware 2.0 project that is soon in testing.

Namely, the new feature is a composite USB device with the game controller AND a serial port interface on the processor. The serial port will enable us to pipe all kinds of data to the device…

2 Likes

This is the exact reason im waiting for version 2.0. My sim time is very limited and i dont want to have to worry about software not working correctly causing me to not be able to race. Im still on pre Paddock because there have been to many issues with it and no real reason for me to upgrade to it.

5 Likes

I just made the jump into the True Drive Paddock.

BUT where do I find the regular stock settings for AC, ACC, ATS etc…that were previously made by Simucube and that we could use (IIRC by adding anew profile and choosing the stock profiles)?

Tony, you can switch back to classic mode, and export them to an ini file (one at a time) and then import them into paddock.

In Paddock the only ‘simucube’ ones that were ported over can be found under the user mtakala (there are only 2 profiles, both for iracing)

OK, will do!

But WOW that’s a huge minus point for this True Drive Paddock!

How can we get a “standard” profile for a new game? The only possibility is then to download some profile from some unknown users??

I hope that Simucube will have the possibility to have a “standard/ stock” profile from Simucube in the True Drive Paddock also (like in the Classic mode).

The profiles that were in the Classic mode were not very good for those games, especially AC and ACC ones we received bad feedback for, as we didn’t keep them updated when the game FFB changed over time.

It is likely that we will “recommend” some profiles in the Paddock in the future.

Now there are tested and maintained profiles by Kunoz Simulazione themselves in the Paddock.

2 Likes

Just want to take the opportunity to ask feedback:

If we wanted to show some recommendations about profiles in the profile list:

How it should be done?

• for example, some “Simucube Approved” marking on some profiles?
  • separate tab for “Simucube approved” profiles?

What should we avoid?

• I think I would not want to see some profiles, be it ours or anyone elses,pushed to the top of the list by default, as there is the rating system for profiles that will automatically steer the system so that the best profiles (or indeed the profiles better than the others) are pushed to the top of the list.

Any thoughts?

make profiles that can’t be rated so they won’t appear in the profiles listings, which imo should also be applied to profiles published by sim devs. just add a tab for “developers profiles” or something like that, including also all “default profiles” like we e have in classic TD

• Ability to sort by rating, number of downloads, last update, etc. see RD mods download section
  • Place for some feedback comments, same as on RD
  • Supplied/approved by devs or Simucube staff is irrelevant, we’ve seen some suboptimal settings from both
2 Likes

main thing is that ffb profiles can’t be rated, there isn’t a more subjective thing in the world

1 Like

Sorting by rating is there already. And, because we are operating in the EU, a commenting feature would need to be actively moderated. It is likely that we would not have resources for that.

Would you want the approved profiles to include any user content or would it just be profiles that the sim developers submit+some that are provided by Granite?

I think there could be a lot of value in Dev/Granite only profiles, you could call these “Official Profiles”
The profile filter could have a check box or drop down to see or not see these.

As far as what to avoid, I’m not sure pushing official profiles to the top is actually bad - it’s the way Google works - a few paid ad results show up first, followed by the organic results.
If you drew a different color rectangle around the official profiles and had a little icon to differentiate them, I think users would be able to tell them apart.

Also for the idea of official profiles, maybe there could be a discussion with developers for a future feature no one has yet: If a profile could somehow include in game settings, in a way that the game could read and use at run time. That would be a really neat solution, if I could pick a profile and it’s set not only the few sliders in simucube, but also the needed settings in game as well.

I don’t understand the current rating system.
My choices are “no grade, Bad, good, awesome” but the rating I see is "consistent, Mixed, (and blank) and I see gold, grey and red colors for these, but don’t know what it means - is a gold mixed better than a grey consistent?

I would change the ratings over to a 5 star rating system - everyone understands that 5 out of 5 is good and 1 out of 5 is bad, and it allows for a numeric score (ie the average is 4.7 out of 5) which is really helpful when sorting a bunch with similar scores.

3 Likes

Actually the current system is better - only three levels of grades, and important information (consistency) of the grades to indicate if everyone thinks the same or if there is significant differing opinions. That information is lost when using 5 star rating system that would just average the ratings. Almost all rating system tend to steer towards people giving 4-5 stars anyway, so the usable range would be very narrow. This is really a problem if you start to think about it, and we thought about this very long…

The colors are of course bronze, silver and gold. There is room to improve in that regard…

1 Like

You’re saying Consistency refers to the statistics of the grades (Ie standard deviation?)?

A popular e-commerce company in the US solved this problem by letting customers see the breakdown of how many people voted for each number of stars.

So for example a 3 out of 5 could be a lot of 3s or it could be a blend of 2’s and 4’s or a blend of 1’s and 5’s - and this ‘e-commerce’ company lets customers see the exact data behind it.

At the end of the day whatever you guys come up with will be fine - so please don’t take any of the feedback I provide as negative criticism, it’s just feedback - additional points of data for you to use if you find them helpful.

One suggestion: Reserve the top card slot for a graphic that explains the rating system - It wasn’t clear to me, and I’m probably not the only one, but I think we can all understand it once it’s explained.

I appreciate you Mika, providing feedback can be challenging, especially on a forum where the tone can’t easily be interpreted - you and the team are doing a great job and I appreciate the work you’re doing.

2 Likes