Simucube 2 True Drive Paddock Early Access

Thanks. We may have to revert some things regarding saving window position, Qt does not seem to do it properly. Or we need to do some workaround so that every time new version is launched, the keys are deleted before trying to use them.

2021.8 makes my Pro R2 motor whine and the tone changes depending in what position I have my wheel in. If there isn’t any fix for that soon I rather go back to 2021.5.

I tried some of the features that Paddock brings and uploaded my profile, that all seems to work fine. However, getting to the tuning screen is now more steps away and we have to edit our settings in a tiny pop-up screen with scrollbars. Not exactly ideal. I think the main focus for this program should still be adjusting settings and that has to be straightforward, easy to access without having to go through additional screens.

4 Likes

I don’t know how well this comes across on video. Note that when I turn the power off with the e-stop (that’s the loud click) it’s silent, until I turn it back on. Then the whining noise starts again plus additional noise from the motor.

Hi Dave,

As explained on the discord and on the release notes, the audible noise is perhaps slightly more audible in this release, but we are working on re-instating the improvements after we verify that they were not the cause of persistant problems for some of the users with all 2021.x releases.

What I can comment, is that the main usage of the application is to select settings and drive. Constant tuning all the time is not a popular feature for large majority of the Simucube 2 racers.

Getting the tuning sliders to show is literally one click which is not a large hoop by any means. Selecting a profile is now one click (it used to be two) and getting the FFB tuning window is also one click (it used to be 0) so end result is pretty much the same.

1 Like

I’m still on 2020.7 using pretty much a single profile for my iRacing use. Do I want to switch to this new release yet? I wouldn’t want to pick up new noise for no real benefit.

I do understand where Dave is coming from on the extra clicks.

Mika, please don’t underestimate how many people want the ability to make quick changes. This is I believe especially a sensitive topic given that your main competitor makes it very easy to do this right from the wheel. I am constantly adjusting the force amount so I don’t injure myself. Each profile online is different, some are made for the sport, some for ultimate, some for stronger people, or people with heavier or lighter rims. I cannot see a future where people aren’t messing with settings even more than ever before now that paddock lets us try other’s profiles. Anything you can do to make this easier, especially when it comes to adjusting or capping out force feedback strength, would be appreciated by at least one customer (me) and I suspect many others as well.

That said, I did notice after a bit of fiddling, that there is a wrench icon super imposed over the game graphic that takes you right to the edit pop up, and that did save me a step provided that I already had duplicated a public profile to make it my own.

3 Likes

I’ve discovered an issue

I installed the lastest version of True Drive, logged in and used paddock. I then tried the classic version and got a pop up saying online profile in use

I decided to downgrade to 2021.7 hoping to use the classic mode but I still get the same pop up

I then downgraded to 2020.10 which worked but now True Drive crashes when turning the base on

Could you please explain to me how to get the base out of online mode so I don’t have to be locked into using paddock

Thanks

You will just need to answer “OK” to the popup, it will resume Classic mode and select the “read only safe profile”. It actually says that on the popup.

I am getting the pop up everytime I open classic mode, I’d like to not have to do this every time but I’d also like to go back to 2020.10 which I was using perfectly fine until updating to 2021.8 but True Drive keeps crashing as I assume the base is still in online mode.

I have selected “go to offline mode” but I get put back into online mode when opening True Drive. Please tell me how to fix this as I dont want to be forced online and would like to go back to an older firmware

Thanks

so you go back to online mode when you launch the Paddock version? or what happens exactly? I will be testing this right now.

1 Like

I have Paddock profile active.
I launch Classic. I get the popup that Online profile is active, do you want to switch to Classic mode, and I answer OK, and I get Classic mode.
Then I close True Drive, and launch Classic again. I do not get the popup and can use Classic mode directly.

I fail to see where your issue is.

Yes if I do it in that order I get the same result as you but if I turn the base off and close True Drive then turn the base on and open True Drive I get the prompt about the online profiles

And after downgrading to 2020.10 True Drive now crashes when cycling the base on or fails to open if the base is already powered on

I had been using 2020.10 up until yesterday

I’m trying to get the the point where I dont get the prompt no matter what order I do it in so I can downgrade the firmware as I suspect this might be the issue

It seems the base is defaulting to online mode when power cycling the base

Then you have set a default profile to be an online profile. You can set a classic profile as default and save settings.

1 Like

My base gets stuck in ‘waiting for drive mode’ when starting in classic mode. Paddock works great though.

None of this works. I have tried multiple times to save settings and change profiles but I still have the same issue. It seems the base is defaulting to online mode which probably explains why 2020.10 doesnt work anymore after downgrading

Thanks for the report. I will investigate this,however just this was tested before release.

Terribly sorry, ignore my last statement. I may have misread what you said. After setting a classic profile as default it worked

Sorry for the misunderstanding

1 Like

Interesting - the firmware is same in both, so perhaps it is some usb communication / timing issue that messes up the state machine on the device side, if you have True Drive running at startup. I couldn’t repeat this issue, and of course it will be fixed already in Simucube firmware 2.0.

I think it has to do with when it switches between offline and online, since if the default profile is offline then starting in paddock mode causes it to hang. But I guess it doesn’t matter since classic will be gone soon.

Please what would be the discord link?

1 Like