Simucube 2 Discussion Thread

You mean converter from 220 on 110? Is that enough or…?

No converter needed, just a cable change.

We are working to get right cables included at some point.

You can just get a standard IEC plug, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Power-Cord-25-Foot-Black/dp/B0728CMZSY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=iec+60320&qid=1566633873&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I ordered it from Augury I had spoken to them last month and they informed me that I would receive the converters. I know they are on vacation and may have rushed it out and forgot to add them.

Yes I ordered 2 from Amazon I should receive them tomorrow.

I’m, getting more worried now. There’s another person in another thread who’s having massive overheating and FFB cutting off with his SC2 Pro (he confirmed he’s getting a replacement) and now someone else is reporting play in the shaft of an SC2 Pro…and there’s only been 1 or 2 batches of SC2 Pros shipped out. Compare that to 3-ish years of people buying small and large Miges with just about no problems at all.

How could issues exists on such a small amount of SC2 Pros while the small and large Mige probably have the same amount or even less reported problems but that’s from probably 100x more Miges. In other words, even if the SC2 Pro’s issue rate is 3%, it seems like the Mige’s issue rate is 0.03% (and the Mige isn’t even considered a “high-end” servo like, for eg. AKM/Kollmorgen and Lenze).

Are the servos used in the SC2 (at-least the Pro) juuuust good enough for the job? I know the small and large Mige are meant for truly industrial, heavy-duty, high-workload applications and for very long life/duty cycles. Maybe the SC2s (at least the Pro) are using less “overklill” servo motors in order to achieve a bigger profit margin on sales and also more convenient experience for the customer (smaller size and less weight)???

This is worrying. I’m very confident an OSW/SC1 large Mige would probably last at-least 10 years in our application if not more, maybe even much more…I’m getting a different “vibe” from the little feedback I’ve seen so far of SC2 Pros (especially considering how so little units have shipped out due to being new) :thinking:

2 Likes

The Simucube 2 industrial servo motors were chosen for torque efficiency with regards to volume. If one wanted to drive the Large Mige motor by using any of the PSU’s that are approved for consumer market in the US, that is, less than 0.5 W no-load idle power consumption, then it would be impossible, as such power supplies do not exist,or the motor would have to be quite a bit longer than the Large Mige. So utilization of a Large Mige motor in this field, when packaged into a real product, is not possible due to tightening energy efficiency regulations around the world.

I don’t think they had zero problems, either. You just didn’t hear about them in one centralized place because most OSW builds were offered from their respective resellers, to which customers would have to return when something was amiss.

I heard about dozens of fried MiGes, through various means.

How do you know how many units were actually shipped out? I’ve seen no official numbers. I can only say, that I know half a dozen who own an SC2. They’re pretty well spread through the community already, I don’t think they only sold 100 units.

Although, I do understand your worries. My SC2 is perfectly fine right now but I’m worried about the day something goes wrong.

1 Like

Its here

4 Likes

One reseller on other forum said he sold hundreds OSW/SC1 and never had any problems with Mige servos. For me the problem is with the brand, I don’t know what brand servo motor is in SC2 Pro, this is a secret, I know nothing about that company, about reputation… etc, but I know what brand servo motor is in SC2 Ultimate. Thats why the only option for me is SC2 Ultimate.

is SC2 Sport servo’s brand known?

Seems, that it would be better if granite has developed a cooling system to SC2.
Don’t use above 30 degrees.

And they are laughing against others, who have those fan, running with 580 rpm at nearly 40 degrees room temperature.
Seeing in a mates playing room.

Not very smart if the housing is that hot, that you can’t put your hands on it.

I sold many many Mige motors and only had one motor that an encoder failed on.
That is it zero other failures.

1 Like

I would like to see info of dozens of Mige frying. You have any links?
I am sure Mige would like to know about this.
Not something that I would think would have been able to keep secret?

3 Likes

all i can say i have sc2pro and it NEVER gets more than slightly warm :grinning:

2 Likes

The brand of SC2 Sport is also a secret. Why? I don’t know. I wish to know what I buy. The true is the Mige servo motors are very solid, how solid is SC2 Sport/Pro? Time will tell…

1 Like

I’d have to search for it, it’s been a while.
One famous example I still remember dospaquetes from the /r/simracing subreddit. He fried his MiGe. I don’t know whether that’s due to incorrect handling or through other means.

Yes when you find the links please post them.
I would like to get this info to Mige. They are one of the Chinese company that want to produce very high quality products. And I think they have achieved that goal.

1 Like

Statements like this would be better via pm.
I know others are saying crappy things, but please try to refrain from instigating a fight.

This forum is starting to get pretty nasty like a bunch of school girls on the playground.

5 Likes

Hi Joe,
I am not aware of a single MiGe servo that have failed, only a couple encoders. Other than that, earlier years, we had a few failures on the Argon R7 resistors, then some regen-circuits on a handful of Ioni/Simucubes.

But those issues have all been fixed during the past years with a combination of FW and hardware changes. I am not aware of any failures on Simucube 1 after the FW regen code has been updated, and most certainly, I will almost guarantee no one has managed to kill a MiGe servo yet.

Unless that someone was totally SBU or PEBKAC, of course, but not during normal operation of the servos.

Perhaps there is 1 or 2 out there, but that would be a neglible statistic, considering the 1000’s sold. Sometimes people just echo stuff they read from posters that doesn’t know a resistor from a valve :wink:

I am with you on this, we have been very close to this for many years, from the early days, after all, as opposed to several 'experts’now popping up all over the place.

Le Sigh.

If the current trend on this forum continues, I guess I will just crawl back where I came from and disappear out of sight. What a disappointment this has become :frowning:

4 Likes