Simucube 2 Discussion Thread

Make a reduction in the Adapter
Use a countersunk and make a Nut on the Wheel side.

In my opinion its not the problem itself what matters.
When you release a new product to the market its nearly impossible to get a 100% Job without any errors done.

What matters is, how you deal with it.

Do you offensivly communicate the errors and problems to the buyers and the rest of the community or do you wait until these error pop up to the first customers?

How do you react when it comes to replace faulty parts?

I critizized Fanatec for their behavior in support cases, and i don`t like the error management here at Granite Devices so far.

As i said before, i get the impression that there will be more errors to come but we have to find them out for ourselves instead of getting help or advice beforehand

I hope that isnā€™t the case but the drawbacks of chucking money at an unproven product are becoming more and more apparent to me.

Does anyone have the right size for the screws that fit? So I can buy the screws before the Simucube is delivered.

2 Likes

Clearly everyone who got a false QR should get a fixed one for free. This is unacceptableā€¦

3 Likes

I still donā€™t understand what is fail. Just use the correct screw size.

2 Likes

the 0,5 cm screws works well, in altrenative 1 cm if you have pads shifter between the wheel and the qr

Because 0.5 cm for a 20nm plus servo that rumbles all day without a locking mechanism is not safe.

Thread lock (suggestion: the blue kind, not red) can be used successfully. It is also most cost effective and fastest option to accomplish peace of mind as well.

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to post those tips, Brion. Much appreciated.

Iā€™ve had a little more time to look closer at my SRM adapter and it will only allow 3 bolts to pass through in the front to back direction.

Iā€™m not feeling that comfortable having just 3x5mm threads as the only thing securing that adapter to the wheel side qr but I will see how it feels once everything is here.

Mika, are you able to tell me which material the 30mm spacer is made from, please?

Just trying to plan ahead in case I have a need to slightly modify it for my use case.

Thanks!

All the QR parts are aluminium.

2 Likes

I need urgent help. Which tools do I need to unscrew the QR?
and next question are the glued? They can not be solved to install my steering wheel extension

Not a terrible issue, only a small design flaw.
5mm for a thread is more than saveā€¦
A normal M5 nut isnā€™t even 5mm thickā€¦
Just get some screws in the right size and use some threadlockā€¦

ā€œIā€™m not feeling that comfortable having just 3x5mm threads as the only thing securing that adapter to the wheel side qr but I will see how it feels once everything is here.ā€

I can definitely see your concern, I also tend to like to have a bit more than that just for the back-up reasonsā€¦ but IF tight it should be fine.

1 Like

when I push my steering wheel axle up and down do I have clearly audible play in the engine? What could I have done wrong?

I think in future revisions of the QR it would be very smart to design them so they can have 70mm pattern with threaded holes. :slight_smile:

This is the most popular wheel pattern.

1 Like

Now that Iā€™ve received my SC2, I understand the issue. Itā€™s not a problem with my setup. My Pro came with loads of M5x 10mm. This was enough to fit my Q1R to the 70mm plate. Itā€™s solid.

Anyone looking to preorder bolts needs M5. Calculate the length you need, plus no more than 5mm for the plate.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

You absolutely do realise when you place nuts on M5 bolts, those nuts are only 4.5mm thick? It is not about the shear-force, it is about clamping-force.

I am currently testing the Ultimate on 3x M5 bolts, using only that 5mm thread, no Loctite, have had zero issues with it since day 1. Nor do I expect to have,

Colin Chapman famously told Lotus engineers once that you could lift a double decker bus with an M6 bolt and asked them why they were using an M6 bolt in a solution. It always amazes me how much force a few mm of metal can take