Simucube 2 Discussion Thread

It’s not just the spacer. It’s the wheel side itself as well. They’re both the exact same diameter. Both render the 70mm pattern unusable.

I’m confused, how did any of the testers successfully use this? Can we get a picture of how it actually worked in real life for them? One must use this adapter, and the bolt pattern does not clear either the spacer or the wheel side adapter, as pictured above. Is the expectation to have run the bolts through the back of the wheel instead of the front? That’s not acceptable if so.

Best I can tell, “needs improvement” actually means “it’s fundamentally broken and cannot be used”. I would very much like to be mistaken.

Mine worked well. But I use an extender between my wheel and the QR.

As an easy solution, my recommendation is to use such an extender.

1 Like

Can I see a picture of how that worked? I don’t see any way, using any extender or any other combination of solutions, where you’re going to get around needing to push a bolt through that hole.The only possible solution is to have exactly the right bolt length and thread pitch so you can use the exact right amount of threads on the SQ. Am I missing something?

1 Like

My SIMUCUBE 2 Pro is arriving today and I am worried about the adaptor problem.

1 Like

Let us know how it goes.

Mika sorry my english very bad. But this man must now how it works

Second that ! i wish we are not gonna be left behind and got the right one next batch …i even bought the martin ascher wheel simucube to dont get hassles and now im gonna need to dremel that thing …sound wrong : /

I agree, it does feel wrong to have to drill or grind down a nice new component.

Of course, you don’t necessarily have to. If you select the exact length of bolt for your setup and have enough access to be able to tighten those bolts from front to back.

@phillip.vanrensburg
If I visualize my setup from sideways on, I don’t think 5mm of threading is substantial enough and is a potential weak point.

In my case I’ll be using a Fanatec McLaren rim with the SRM hub that converts it for usb. If I take into account the amount of length between the servo and my hands when it’s all bolted together, there’s quite a bit of distance and I’m not armed with the strongest of parts when compared to the more premium stuff many have.

That’s why I feel uncomfortable with running bolts into 5mm of threading :thinking:

That’s what Atilla mentioned in his blog at Racewerk.

He used bolts that protruded 4.5mm from the rear of his wheel/hub and some loctite.

I’d suggest everyone measure their personal setup and have exact length bolts ready if they will be using the 70mm setup otherwise you’ll have to modify parts in a way that you are comfortable with.

Hey Jackie, I sold my Q1R and have bought a HRS Xero Play QR to go with my Simucube. I would’ve had to have new spacers made for my custom rims to use them with the Simucube QR and didn’t really fancy that faff so was pointed to the HRS as an alternative, it really is a thing of beauty! Might suit you too?

The thing I don’t understand is why wasn’t this communicated earlier? There’s some independent blog post about this, and it seems like you were aware that there was a major design flaw with the adapter. Yet you kept silent and shipped it, I ordered 2 additional SQRs so now I have 3 non-usable adapters.
If you communicated this earlier, I would have canceled them and ordered something else to be able to use this wheel the moment it came. Some of us are not as DYI as others, or simply lack the time - I was hoping for a finished, ready to plug device out of the box. Now, it looks like I need to take a trip to some hardware stores to look for washers or shorter bolts. I’m definitely expecting the first batch users to get the updated SQR else I’m seeking a refund. The delay itself was fine, I got used to the release dates being pushed around in this expensive hobby of ours but this is inexcusable and something so obvious from the start.

5 Likes

Fanatec is laughing at us at this moment! The SQR issue sounds like a bad joke. I hope the fixed version will be delivered to us without extra charge!

5 Likes

Exactly, why do we have to find these things out for ourselves when these flaws are known and confirmed?
The whole communication strategy seems lousy to me

2 Likes

5mm Is actually ample threading to hold securely provided the screws are tight and do not back out, Generally the force of a screw and the locking of it only needs approx three threads, Everything behind that is safety and then of course if it goes through you can add additional safety with a Nut or Lock Nut… If concerned you can always use a little liquid lock on the threads and that would solve the backing out possibility and everything would be secure.

2 Likes

I’m sure there be a simple solution. . Still exited, can’t wait to get my pro .

1 Like

Brion is right. There is a simple solution, no need to over react.

• Three threads should be enough. M5 thread pitch is 0.8mm, so three threads is 2.4mm which is just under half way into the 70mm adapter.
  • Our recommendation at the moment is to use washers and right length bolts to get the 70mm adapter to fit correctly (bolted from the front of the wheel).
  • Suitable washers and bolts are available from your local hardware stores more quickly than we would be able to supply them.

Under investigation is the issue of the wheel-side wedge SQR part directly to the 70mm adapter. I have production parts at hand here, and do not have this issue. This can also be solved with washers between the 70mm adapter and the wheel, more quickly than we would be able to.

Of course we apologize the issue and, as said, are improving the SQR product still. Neither of these issues affect the driving feel and reliability of the product, which is the most important thing.

5 Likes

I don’t fully understand the sitatuation an (possible) risk here, but that’s mainly because I’ve never used a QR before. I did order 1 extra SQR because I bought 2 wheel rims. However, so far I am not overly concerned as both Brion and Mika say we are fine by using the proper length bolts. I trust them for what they comment here.

Other than that it’s just waiting for my package to arrive and see how it’s done on my gear.

1 Like

Didn’t Fanatec have to retrospectively (delay the initial launch) fit a fan to stop their units overheating? If that is the case, then I know who is laughing loudest.

I’m still waiting for my unit, so I’m not fully appraised of the issue, but from what I understand there are several options to resolve this issue:

• Use shorter bolts.
  • Pad the bolts with washers / spacers.
  • Use a different QR mechanism. Presumably the Q1R will work without issue?

I can see the frustration that this could / should have been addressed prior to shipping, but I can’t help but feel that we (certainly me on this forum) have pushed GD to release, as the dates kept slipping and I just wanted my unit. Perhaps this issue could have been communicated to us? There is a balance to be found with communication, and I don’t think there is one correct answer that will satisfy all.

From my perspective, the passion and commitment I’ve seen from GD to engineering excellent solutions, and resolving issues tells me my money is in the right place. Mika must feel like he lives on these forums. Beano also seems tireless in his determination to ensure we have the best devices possible.

It the “SQR Issue” is the only snag with this release then I will be very happy - as I’m sure GD will be.

5 Likes

Just grinding down the bolts a few mm is also a solution. Gotta be careful though threading them into place again.

I got SIMUCUBE 2 Pro today. But I was frustrated right away.

This is South Korea and we can play games next week because it is already Friday evening.