Simucube 2 Discussion Thread

I know Stefan, he is not inexperienced in dealing with DD and so far is the only one who really got a broken engine. The exchange was very complicated and took too long! He waited a long time to get a replacement and then this engine is not in order. GD is this your serious? It is quite clear on the photos to recognize that the lid is crooked.
In my shop, the customer gets a replacement as soon as possible and an apology! I do not understand that you are not satisfied with the individual case the customer in the quickest way. Since I do not have to surprise you if people write negative in the forum. You do not want to be on the level of Fanatec, right?

6 Likes

To clarify, & whether this helps or not, we got the product to us 20.6.2019 afternoon, which was Thursday afternoon and shipped replacement back 25.6.2019 which was Monday next week so from our side that part of the process took 1-2 work days depending on your way how you calculate these. We cannot control any other delays.

edit: I understand that this is not the quickest possible, but if significantly quicker turn around time is required for warranty process by the customers in general, then I think that we would need to reconsider our pricing and define these to our processes and increase prices accordingly. It is possible to do have very quick warranty process and service time if needed but these then cost also some amount more.

people, can everybody please take a breath and calm down? This is starting to feel like a witch hunt on GD, based on posts from only a limited number of people who unfortunately suffer from possible problems.
Understandably, their emotions mix into their posts, but if you look at it from a neutral point of view so far it has been incidents and speculations; I’ve seen several people complain here about problems which in the end weren’t actual problems at all, rather they were too high expectations that weren’t met.

I do agree that GD can handle some situations a bit better, but overall I think they’re doing a very good job and are selling a very good product. I’ve been enjoying my SC2 a lot, it brings my simracing to a whole new level, even though I’ve been doing it for 23 years now!

Oh, and for what it’s worth; When I received my SC2 Pro there was some damage on it due to transport. I contacted my reseller (like you should as buyer), they contacted GD and very soon after I received replacement parts. A very good showing of after-sales service.

I’d have to disagree with anybody who things that the deformed rear plate that @StefanHenkel has on his unit is within normal tolerances.

There’s no way I would accept a unit like that whether it effected the functionality or not. It shouldn’t look like that and shouldn’t pass any quality tests before making its way out of the factory.

Don’t misunderstand me. I think GD have made a fantastic product and I’m more than satisfied with my purchase. It’s not my intention to join or be part of any kind of witch hunt.

Having said that, it pains me to see Stefan having to battle like this to get a satisfactory resolution.

Imagine being in his place, having to mess around in forums and spend time shipping heavy hardware back and fourth when he should be enjoying something he paid a lot of money for.

I’m sure he pondered long and hard over his decision to go for an SC2 and compared it to the alternatives before committing a lot of his money to what I think is the better DD servo when compared to its rivals. As with many of us, there would have been a lot of excitement and anticipation at what was to be delivered, only to be faced with what he is having to battle through now :disappointed_relieved:

Wouldn’t it just be easier for everyone involved if the unit was replaced once more with a fully checked over unit so that Stefan can get back to actually having some enjoyment?

This kind of thing doesn’t look good for GD and will turn people away if they perceive bad aftersales service.

11 Likes

Sometimes it always amazes me the lengths people will go to complain. I am in no way saying dont, or not to, but there are a few on this forum who (if it were me) I would have taken my money elsewhere a long time ago. With the advent of social media it seems the “critical review” has become the weapon with which a consumer can beat a manufacturer over the head to get what they want. In the “old days” you would walk up to the store, ask for a replacement or your money back and walk away. NOT paying a company is the best way to show your displeasure of a product, or it certainly used to be.

Personally we manufacture, products, when a consumer has an issue we generally handle it directly (OFF THE AIR) with the consumer directly. We dont need to see you arguing with your wife in the grocery isle, take it home… for eg. If we cannot have a satisfactory conclusion we refund their money immediately, once the consumer has his cash back, there is no cause for argument, we apologize and move on as does he. Every customer is different, some more tolerant than others, the trick is to recognize those you know are going to be an issue, early and deal with it. You can not please everyone all the time but recognizing those you can never please is a good way of avoiding… well this!

5 Likes

You are mentioning a very interesting point here; he is posting in forums and trying to get things done directly from GD, where he in fact should be dealing with his reseller.

I do agree that Stefan’s unit is not acceptable, I wouldn’t accept it like it is. But in my case, like the example I gave, I would contact the reseller and work it out with them. And if that doesn’t work, perhaps contact GD but through e-mail or PM, not publicly in a user forum.

1 Like

Not bashing anyone I can sympathize, I purchased a Porsche and there was an eyelash in the clearcoat of my hood, of course that shouldnt have got through QC but it did. My dealer told me tuff… so I contacted Porsche North America, via email, they politely sent me a letter acknowledging the mistake, offered to have it corrected along with a letter from them indicating why the paintwork on the hood was no “repaired”, even though there was no damage. Took 3 months, and about 20 emails but a satisfactory conclusion. If I felt that Porsche NA was blowing me off or NOT dealing with my issue, I would request to return the car. As it took almost a year to get it and another would take 6 months, for another I lived with the conclusion above. I COULD have returned it, but didnt as the “issue” was not as big as the fun I had driving it with some German DNA (literally) embedded in the hood.

You make fair points and I can’t disagree with them.

I don’t know the full details of what has gone one but I think it might be fair to assume that Stefan has already gone through a process of privately conversing with his dealer and GD.

I find that most reasonable people only move on to publicly voicing their displeasure when they feel that they have exhausted all of the normal channels over what is a fairly long period.

Perhaps that is where Stefan finds himself now? I don’t know.

1 Like

so one last time I hope. I went first the way with my dealer. However also the dealer has to clarify the matter with GD in my case. GD has decided to deal with me as I understood it. We did that. Nevertheless, a final solution has not been found. Unfortunately the opinions what is okay and what does not diverge. In order to come however from my side and from the side of the dealer again on the good side I may publish here the as I find good solution approach. I want to emphasize again that I don’t want to pillory anyone and always look for a constructive solution. The offer of the dealer I consider very reasonable and would like to thank for it also.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Hi Stefan,
just to let you know i am here for help and you can contact me at any time as always. I see conversation at official forums and already make some effort just now to solve you situation quick.

About shipping cost: you are my customer who ordered from me, so in this situation - shipping cost is my responsiblity. If you can please send me invoice so i can forward it to accountant directly to cover refund transaction. Shipping refund will be done to your bank account (i need your number) or PayPal directly.

I 100% understand your situation and I recommend this procedure which will be on my back from start to finish. Lets see if we can solve it properly now:
-send me shipping invoice and refund will be made in 24h. If you cant find it, then let me know and i will ask accountant what can we do to not delay refund.
-preorders for batch 3 will be openend in next Time and i would like to reserve one new unit for you before webshop will be activated.
-once i get batch 3 delivered. which should be inside next weeks, i will send you new SC2 Pro motor unit which will be checked here before dispatch. I do the same check with all dispatches anyway (MiGE or SC2).
-you wil be able to test new unit for few days and if confirmed all is OK, i will send you DHL label to bring “old” unit back to me and hopefully all done.

Let me know if this is procedure is OK and if you have anything to add so we can solve this quick. Happy customer is important. It will also be some interesting weeks ahead for me, as i am releasing few new products aswell :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Do I correctly understand the complaint: there was an irregularity in the paint that caused there to be an uneven seem between the rear plate and housing. The unit functioned properly, but the issue was with the cosmetic quality control? I’m not saying that’s not a valid complaint, just trying to understand. I can see where if the case and the plate are finished independently of one another there could be mating issues that are exacerbated by the painting/finishing of the two parts. This is not ideal, of course, but it is not a failure in the performance - it worked as advertised, just didn’t look 100% like the fit and finish in the pictures(?) Do I have it right?

there are 2 problems, 1 the lid is crooked and has a gap of 0.5 mm on one side. The 2 problem is that the engine has clearance.
But we should let the matter rest now since it is now a good solution on the way.

For me, when high quality products are manufactured with tight tolerances they should all look identical. Same gaps, same everything.

Stefan’s unit seems to be one of those rare exceptions where something has slipped through the net.

With the best will in the world these things can still happen. The main thing from that point onward is that it’s resolved in a way that satisfies the customer and retains their good will.

3 Likes

Thank you Beano, can you also share your ingame settings and app.ini settings, in case you made any changes there?

And what about direct input in true drive?

Thx again

DirectInput settings in True Drive do not have any effect in iRacing, as iRacing does not use DirectInput effects.

1 Like

Yes it does and you can chose between Damping and Friction in app.ini. But it is a static fx, so you can skip it and use Constantly Operating Filters.

And FYI @Mika Friction in Directinput cause still a noise while steering left. Independing of what game you use it, if the game use it.

1 Like

For those who haven’t seen it: https://www.simucu.be/post/upgraded-simucube-steering-wheel-adapters-are-here

3 Likes

A crooked back plate an play on the axis what are we complaining about ? and now he has play on the axis on his 2nd set also as i understand. no idea why he complains :smiley: i just love when people are defending defects…

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s your true drive setting, but I tried it and in qualifying for a second faster time and won the race :smiley: :smiley:

I am not trying to be an apologist for manufacturing defects. For purely selfish reasons I am making sure there are not issues where the DD system does not work. Like everyone else I pre-paid and would be concerned if the company was not being responsive to a mechanical failure. They should be responsive to a cosmetic issue as well, but that would (in my case anyway) not put me out of commission.

Ha, well done, Mate :wink:

Depending on where you were with settings earlier, it could help, of course…but not sure about 1s faster …at the end, as long as you enjoy the settings, that’s all that really matters. I have not spent that much time with the Pro, but I had a basic idea what would work, my first settings were also the preferred, tbh.

All 3 these wheels should be close enough that a setup on one could easily be the baseline for the other two, with a bit of fine tuning of the Static Force Reduction and Reconstruction Filters most likely all that would be needed.

Let me know what you think of the filters I used in the Pro test, good, to heavy, crap…etc …