Simucube 2 Discussion Thread

Yeah Mate, sure, I can upload those later for you. No dramatic changes in my ini file, but I can share anyway :wink:

whats up bro , you seem to be 1 of the coolest here, which rims are you using?

I can fully understand Stefan’s unhappiness on this issue. I would not be happy either.

From the photos, it appears the back-plate is somewhat bend, but it can be as simple as something on the inside preventing it from seating properly, that would be my first guess.

The play in the shaft though is another matter. These are industrial motors, adding a 100-150mm extension should have zero impact to the front bearing, under normal use. Side-loading though is not allowed, things like hanging on a wheel getting in/out your rig, is a no-no. I don’t do it on my AKM65L servo, you shouldn’t do it on your small/large Mige or SC2 servo either.

Not saying this is what happened, just advice from personal experience. So if you are guilty of that, go to the gym and do some squats … :slight_smile: With that said, I have had extensive testing of industrial servos in the DD wheel environment over the past 5 years, I never had a servo develop play. It should not happen in this application.

But with the obvious renowned quality of products from Granite Devices, and very personal experience, I know the team strives for perfection and I 100% believe that these minor production ramp-up and QC issues will be resolved. These occurrences are the exception, and the best advice to our Resellers are to step up and resolve these ASAP, if/when they do occur.

That is the service I, and I am sure, the community expects from the customer-interface, i.e the Reseller. GD is an OEM supplier to you, you need to handle the customer interface, service/support matters, et al. You can then resolve the warranties et al behind the scenes, between Reseller and GD.

The lines are blurred here, because GD participates on the forums, but it seems to me some Resellers do not fully understand their responsibility. You are Resellers, GD is the OEM, so step it up, guys.

It is pretty annoying to have these matters invade discussions which should be on technical matters et al.

Very happy to see the actions that have been taken to resolve Stefan’s issue, but in all honesty, it should not have taken this long.

Catch you guys later, let me go take some coffee with a touch of Whiskey :wink:

6 Likes

Agreed, but I must add one note thinking as a person who was a reseller for SC1 and components

With the new all incompassed SC2 there is little that the reseller can do other than send the unit back to GD in Finland.
As far as I know the resellers do not have any repair parts etc.
Nobody has any stock to just swap out a unit and then handle warranty issues with the GD factory later.
So the warranty delays will be longer due to all of the shipping that has to take place.

I hope on these early unit hiccups that the factory is helping out the resellers on the shipping costs to return brand new units to the factory or the resellers are likely operating at a loss on the sale.

Just some thoughts to throw out there.

2 Likes

Hi Joe,
Reseller-agreement in this instance is a bit more comprehensive, vs earlier, due to the fact that a complete solution is now offered. Service and support responsibilities remains with the Resellerr, not the OEM.

Strictly speaking, there shouldn’t be a need for GD to interact with the end-user on topics such as support and service, this interaction should be between end-user and Resellers. Resellers communicate product-related concerns and warranty issues directly to GD, GD back to them. Communications to the end-user is between Reseller and end-users then.

In my world, where I have been operating for quite many years now, there is a very clear distinction between being an Sales-Agent for an OEM, and being a Reseller. I suspect this agreement is a bit different to what was used earlier when GD was distributing Components, not total solutions.

I just think the wider community doesn’t realise, nor does some of the Resellers, the demarcation lines. Some do though, which is commendable.

Anyway, enough rambling from my end, I think the point has been made.

Have a good one!

2 Likes

Hi Beano,

I agree with what you are saying. I am not saying Granite is bad reseller good or Visa /Versa.

Communication between Granite Devices and resellers, and resellers to their customer is very important now more than ever. If that does not exist people will come to the forums for answers.
And as we know some who speak on the forums just want to instigate a fight and upset. The rest of us have to Wade through the nonsense. :frowning:

I was just trying to point out that for a bit until the stock levels are higher ( Which I know Granite Devices is working very hard to achieve this) people are just going to need to be patient and wait it out.

2 Likes

Yep, good points as aways, Joe :wink:

I see what you mean here, and i totally agree with you.
I do not own a simucube 2 wheel or any of their products, I’m just here to read if you understand this is the product that I will buy for my rig. Because DD is a new thing for me, and I want a plug and play experience.
But i understand that Stefan probably has used all the ways that he had to get his problem solved and probably it didn’t work.
And what Joe said is true aswell, I saw 3 or 4 topics with all kinds of crazy things. But nothing about the product it self.
That’s why I questioned if there was no Moderation in the forum.
But now the problem is sorted out. and we need to look forward.
and focus on the real thing here.
:grin:

I used your ultimate settings before. Where ultra latency mode was 20% and static force reduction was 15%. This settings are more aggressive, but I feel much more confident.

Ha, understood. Yes, with the Ultimate being more powerful, I adjust the filters a bit different to the Pro. I tweaked the Pro to suit its output at peak torque, which anyway allows ‘lighter’ filters than on the Ultimate.

Happy it has ‘worked’ for you- wish I can find 1sec :frowning:

2 Likes

Is there a guide of what the different settings does in TD?
Example:
0% intertia = gives more xxxxxx
100% intertia = gives more xxxxxx
Etc…

I want to play with different settings and it would be easier to know what they actually do…

They are notoriously difficult to describe as they affect also each other. But they are explained in the user manual PDF which is available from the www.simucu.be website.

1 Like

What I have learned, in terms of car racing:

Constatly operating Filters (No direct input ones)

Damping: gives you suspension feeling. At 0% the steering wheel will snap your hands on hard braking, regaining traction, over curbs, bumps, etc. With more % you can slow down those reactions. Be careful dont overdo, wheel can be too slow on fast transitions.

Friction: Adds a brake to the steering wheel.
*On iRacing: Steering wheel in some cars, when stationary on track, tends to turn slowly to one side. Adds friction to stop that motion, can stabilize centering forces. I found that racing the Willy and FR3.5

Inertia: gives suspension load. Smooths oscilations in straights. I think it is wheel dependant.

Damper and inertia are dependant each other, you must find your base setting and play with that

EDIT:
friction is useful in some cases, edited

2 Likes

I think the expectations may vary by region. This is from the US distributor’s site:

“Sales for ALL Simucube 2 and Granite Components are final, non-returnable and non-refundable. Warranty for Simucube 2 and Granite components is provided by Granite Devices. DSD Does not provide additional warranty on these components. Any service matters for these components are initially addressed by DSD and then to Granite if necessary.”

As US consumers are directed to this seller via GD’s website, US consumers have a specific interest in GD’s ability to handle warranty claims. I am not sure what the distinction is that is being made between “service matters” and warranty, and my hope and expectation is to never need to find out. I don’t think DSD will act like they don’t know me if I have an issue. They do manufacture electrical components so they are not helpless as troubleshooters, but they have clearly spelled out that recourse lies with GD. Certainly one of the selling points to these units is the relative bullet-proof reputation of them. Avoiding a situation where you need to send it back is critical though as shipping the SC2 with a common carrier from the US to Finland would cost hundreds of dollars (like $600 if you want to insure it). I am highlighting this to explain why I asked my initial question concerning a customer who had to take it on himself to pay return postage. I am heartened by the fact that there are so few complaints by purchasers of the first round of these units where you might expect there to be a higher incidence of defects. All things considered it is quite remarkable.

3 Likes

Hello All: So after good week of testing SC2 Pro, today I decided to refit my Simucube OSW system, called Bogeyman.

I have done around 3 hours of testing tonight, both in the Mercedes and the V8, the same cars and tracks as I used for Pro testing. Well, it has to be remembered that Bogeyman is absolutely the highest-end Simucube system you could build.

But, it is quite comprehensively outperformed by the Pro. Wow. It is difficult to explain to people, but it is immediate apparent as you start to drive. The old system definitely has higher latency, it can be felt as a to soft response by the car on the tyres, a little bit similar to Bodnar SS2. Feels like you’re running on big balloon tyres, just not as severe as the SS2 Bodnar system.

Funny though, if you run enough laps, you adjust to the feel, as well as to the latency in some degree, but it for sure required more focus to turn fast laps, it wasn’t as easy and precise as the SC2 servos.

What an eye-opener, what a difference the new electronics makes. Going Bogeyman to SC2 wasn’t so pronounced, but having been on the Ultimate for the past 3+ months, now the Pro, and switching back to Bogeyman, was indeed a revelation.

I will make a Bogeyman video of the Mercedes around Mt Panorama during the next 2 days, then at least you can compare the videos.

More later, just thought I’ll share my thoughts.

8 Likes

Hi Philip, I am more interested in the difference between sc2 pro and sc2 ultimate and which aspect is obvious?

Hi all guys, I just joined the forum, so first of all many thanks to everybody that runs it and let us have such an useful platform of discussion and mutual help :+1:
I am currently waiting for the delivery of a Simucube 2 Sport unit, and I have a question regarding the True Drive software profiles : I came from an OSW Small Mige, and I still have all the Simucube settings saved in the software folder ; could those settings still be used as a baseline for the new True Drive software profiles, or should I start tweaking some completely brand new settings?
i remember I spent a very long time tweaking every sim profile in such a deep level of detail that it would be great if they could still be useful somehow…
Thank you all my new friends :sunglasses:

This is why I am excited for this bit of kit. I have only once tried DD two years ago at an IMSA race where a vendor had set up a sim demo. Not sure if it was OSW or Bodnar, but quantifiably more feedback than my Fanatec CSW. Hard to make a direct comparison as everything from the seat to the pedals to the sim was different from my rig, but more the steering was more solid and precise. To know that the SC2 is even better still from folks like Phillip as well as the SRG who have actually extensively used various solutions has me revved up to get my hands on the SC2. Too bad it won’t make me faster :worried:

Hi @SuperMonaco_GP

Yes, all settings you see on various forums are a good starting point, as both are direct drive servo motors, etc. The setting scales have been changed, 10% damping in SC1 is 100% in SC2, and the scale will be changed to SC1 software too at some point. However, the True Drive software does not allow direct import of Simucube 1 profiles.

2 Likes

hi friend, I have a Simucube 2 Pro with a wheel, for now, Fanatec Mclaren 650 modified usb. I am considering the purchase of a wireless wheel and I have set my sights on those Asher Racing .ciao