Simucube 2 Discussion Thread

I’ve been lurking and following the SC2 development for quite a while as I’ve been trying to decide between the SC2 Pro and the DD1.

The way GD has responded to these QR defects says a lot about the company and its culture. These are your early adopters (biggest fans) that preordered this with blind faith. I can’t imagine the disappointment of finally receiving my SC2 only to realize I can’t use it because of a design flaw with the QR. I’m even more baffled that GD shipped these units fully aware of this!

The response/solution of buying washers and using a known faulty piece of hardware is unacceptable and it says a lot about customer service and how customers in the future will be handled. Sure, people can go to the “local hardware store” and try to figure out how to make it work, but GD should be proactively shipping the correct hardware/updated parts free of charge, without a thought! I thought a major feature of SC2 was to make it more of a plug and play solution.

I honestly don’t understand how after all this time, engineering/CAD, testing and QA, these units shipped. Even more so baffled that GD was aware of this and still shipped out the first batch. With so many delays, what’s another week or so to collect the appropriate mounting hardware to actually use your product and have a good user experience?

Also, that these units shipped without a manual or even quick user guide was pretty poor for a product that’s being marketed as a plug and play solution. Again, GD couldn’t wait a week or so to publish user guides before shipping? I see lots of confusion with the beeps, e-stop, the QR, lack of support for several games, etc. Much of this could have been avoided with appropriate documentation.

I feel bad that the first round of early adopters are being treated more so like guinea pigs. This is not a good look, guys. You need to step up your customer service way up and the change how you respond to issues like this. Anyone early adopters (again, some of your biggest fans) who had issues should receive any updated parts/hardware free of charge - this is basic compensation for a poor user experience.

I was fully ready to put down a pre-order for the next batch, but after seeing how GD has been managing these issues, I can’t in good conscience do that. It’s not even a concern about the performance of the SC2. This is a big purchase and you guys have major competition in 2019 for DD wheels. Do you think Fanatec would tell a customer to go to the hardware store because they shipped a DD1 with incorrect or faulty hardware? Do better, GD.

7 Likes

That’s a nice $250 quick release.

1 Like

So still no reviews then? They’ve been promised for a while now and all there is is a handful of videos in french. Those aren’t even official. I would have expected Sim Garage and other places to have had review units for a while now to have a review if end users are getting them already.

What’s going on? Making me a bit suspicious no official reviews…

1 Like

I have to point out that if the SC’s had shipped unusable then I wouldn’t of been able to smash a lot of fastest times in iracing already.

It took some engineering for me to correctly mount my wheel with the supplied QR but I sorted it. I understand everyone may not have the tools or capabilities but it’s relatively easy to sort out.

As for GD’s initial response it did leave a lot to be desired but I’m more focused on how they will attempt to rectify the error.

1 Like

Sim racing garage does have one. Sure he is taking his time using it. Check his latest video on the seat mover. He also has the wireless wheel attached to it (simucube pro).

At most though its usually reviewed and ready to go, and an embargo until release day. I don’t remember the last time units went to end users before reviewers even got a chance to review yet. Plus they’ve been promising review for a month now. It’s unusual.

1 Like

Unless I’ve read all of this wrong then the “washer solution” is meant as a workaround until GD come up with a redesign? I’d imagine once the design is perfected the necessary parts will be shipped to the early adopters?

Lots of sim hardware has had issues upon initial release, after a 4 month delay getting an Accuforce delivered with slip ring problems wasn’t great, and we had to really fight to get Simxperience to even acknowledge the issue!! That’s not the case here, GD have been quick to hold their hands up and are working to fix it.

2 Likes

Well, good luck with Fanatec’s customer support then (if it even exists…).

Also, please do your homework; a quick start guide is included in the package.

I agree that there are some things GD could have done better, but I’m getting very tired of people blowing things completely out of proportion, especially those who don’t even own the wheel but still have a very strong opinion on how big certain problems are…

I fully trust the guys at GD to solve the problem properly, but it takes some time to fix it so be patient all. In the mean time, if you do own a wheel there’s several suggestions here to solve the problems for now so that you can enjoy your SC2.

2 Likes

I see we all agree. The goal of my rather harsh complaints is getting GD to do the right thing for their own sake. Fast.

It sounds as if beano was the one and only betatester but I hope I am wrong. Again nothing against you Beano (beers it would be!!) but thats just not how this should work. Maybe Martin A got some aswell but he just designed his own products accordingly?

I was sitting here taking my motionrig apart (Lenze has a different mounting width) and the longer I tried the more it dawned… this is not working. Of course frustration was on the rise…

Maybe I misunderstood Mikas comment last night but it sounded as if washers were the final solution for us existing users which I agree would be unacceptable.

We need to know whats going on, what the hardware related solution of GD is. Word is spreading fast in the big forums and I would like to tell a different story than using washers and specific screw lenghts.

Has anyone found extention cables for the powersupplies? Motor side? They are not even reaching to the floor in my case and are hanging in the air.

Btw. I agree with Raimond on fanatec. Over the last few years I had nothing but trouble with them. Wont buy anything Fana related ever again.

But take Heusinkvelt as a role model. Best Support, proactive, happy customers.

But I don’t understand why you are unable to enjoy the wheel? I’m sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for my Ultimate, if I could have it right now and all I needed to get up and running was some washers or to source some screws I’d be more than happy!!

As it is I’ll be using my HRS QR but I’m sure installation and setup will throw up a few minor hiccups or challenges, I’m not sure I’ve ever any bought sim hardware that hasn’t involved rejigging of my rig or a trip to the hardware store, part of the fun!

Just have fun with the wheel, be thankful you’re one of the lucky ones that has this awesome hardware in hand right now and just give GD a chance to put this minor niggle right :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not feeling it yet. There are all these hardware issues and on the other hand I seem to be spoiled by my Lenze. Not impressed so far by the pro version. Objectivly there is more to come. Needs time, fiddling with settings. And considering price its a good value

Interesting, I really didn’t like my Lenze so hopefully I have the opposite experience :joy:

Totally possible! Had it four years, dialed in.

Tbf mine was the Argon Reimer built one, very chatty and harsh so I moved to a SS2 which was smooth as butter. I also don’t like iRFFB, has a great feel but I couldn’t match my lap times which I think was down to the increased latency.

What is it specifically about the Pro you don’t like?

Huesinkveld are epic. Had issues with there shifter, got a super quick response and they mailed me a replacement shifter in 2 days, twice! I bloody love the Dutch.

As for the power cables, I’m struggling with them too. One brick is on my pedal deck and the other just hangs a bit. I’m going to have to fabricate a mount to stick one under the pedal deck. It’s not ideal but it’ll have to do for now.

Have you managed to mount your wheel yet dude ? Edit - nvm I just seen the posts above :slight_smile:

Its just the overall impression. After reading benos statements I simply expected more and not more of the same.

Only driven iRacing for an hour so far so no conclusions yet. Iracing feels harsh without irffb but I agree about the latency.

Thats a point where I feel progress. The SC2 is insanely direct!

I don’t know anything about SC software but had been told you should be able to achieve a smooth Kollmorgen like feel from the SC2, hopefully it’s just a case of tuning for you.

Good to hear it has a very direct feel to it :facepunch:t2:

1 Like

See them hanging? :sweat_smile:

I cant use my motion yet and need to figure out something. My hanging GT-style pedals wont help.

Sorry for the mess…

4 Likes

Epic rig!

You could definitely strap/tape the bricks to the uprights, would look tidy.

1 Like

First idea was to put the bricks on top of the pedals.