Simucube 2 Discussion Thread

If you rotate the wheel 90 degrees, does it effect up-down play?

Test and let me know, I suspect this is not the bearings. If it was, it would have a slight movement in any direction.

1 Like

I’ve got top-down play. When I turn the steering wheel 90 degrees I still have play from bottom to top. When I turn the engine 90 degrees I have left to right play.

how can i give you a Video?

put it on youtube perhaps?

Try upload your video to,

https://streamable.com/

and then share link to your video from site on here

okay thank you very much

1 Like

There is probably play in the QR Bolt, just tighten the two Screws besides the Bolt hole.

No screws are coming with additional wheelside QRs? Why is that?

I am pretty lost here… how could all of this happen?

4 QR screws too long

Midpart screw obviously too short

This just doesn’t look healthy for the motor and on top its just ugly (like my carpet…)

Sorry but I am not gonna cut screws and maybe screwup a thread on the way.

When can we expect free new improved QR hardware?

The mentioned plate seems to solve all issues (even the PSE wheel troubles). But I am not going to spend more money for GDs failures. Whats the plan?

https://www.simtechracing.co.uk/web-shop/wireless-wheels/?Page_ID=3610&refpid=83177&id=787167

Next batch of QR’s that we are producing will have improved design. Existing users can solve the issue with cost effective additional washers. No need to cut screws.

You really think I am going with washers on the QR? And how would that improve the messed up 70mm adapter?

SC team investigates the issues and will propose a solution ASAP to get all early Simucube 2 drivers on-track. Hold tight!

Is this Granite Devices “Solution”? Hold tight for a few of my own freaking washers? I hope not…

I do expect a fully working, precise QR - at least machine a similar plate like simtechracing for existing users. Just don’t start your manufacturing journey with such a f*** up…

I paid additional 45usd for a piece of useless aluminum and missing screws. This is BS Mika.

You guys know it - well you knew before you even shipped and thats the worst part of it all.

Oh btw. tell the guy who is responsible for the 1m motor power cable he is a genius!

4 Likes

that would be someone with Mean Well, in Taiwan. We asked them, they have certified the units for that cable length only. Recertification for another length would increase cost significantly. CE certification is not valid with extension cables either, so thats why we can’t include them. I hear there are now some extension cables available somewhere…

4 Likes

We are not allowing any further heated discussions on this forums that include calling names.

7 Likes

I wonder is there an idea by the type of wheel ordered ( ultimate, pro or sport ) when they might ship?

I know most sites still say mid June for the ultimate and that was for some that were ordered beginning of May. I read somewhere that there was about a two week delay but I wonder if maybe the ultimate might ship faster with less of them ordered? If I ordered an Ultimate today, is there a chance of it shipping before the end of June?

Thanks

Yes, Ultimate “May” batch is going to production this week. See updates on the blog post here:

https://www.simucu.be/post/simucube-2-delivery-update

2 Likes

With respect, that leaves a sour taste, Mika.

I stated earlier on in the thread that I hope GD wouldn’t leave us early adopters behind.

It’s not the biggest problem in the world for me. Sure, it’s easy to go and get a few washers but if you truly believed that was a worthwhile solution, surely all you would need to do is include those for all future customers and not feel the need to do a redesign.

As was quoted above, it was proposed that a solution would be found to get all early Simucube drivers on-track.

I couldn’t care less about washers, it’s more about the philosophy going forward.

I understand the concern, but it is impossible to give answers to details that are yet undecided, or at least not being communicated to myself.

That’s fair enough, Mika, and I understand the position you are in.

I can imagine things are crazy for you lately with so much going on all at the same time.

No hard feelings from me and let’s see how things go in the future once things have settled down a little :slightly_smiling_face:

Thats ok Mika and I am not attacking you or calling you names at all. Sorry for my venting. I know you for years, you have my respect. Just to be very clear about that.

As I said I am lost. I can’t explain how GD came to these conclusions and I would love to have a word with the betatesters.

So far the Simucube2 is a disappointment in my case. A lot seems not thought through, untested and some things are just annoying. Why ship these QRs/Simucubes in full knowledge of the above mentioned issues?

And there is more

• the blinking LED, really? Thank god for black tape.
  • the hightorque slider… please once and not every time
  • volume adjustable peeping sounds please
  • the two powerbricks are bad but…
  • the powercables - I have a motion system and this is just not usable as is, meanwell or not, make them longer
  • a Y-powercable with only a single plug would be fiseable
  • add screws and washers to every additional QR
  • make different sized spacers and sell them optional
  • irFFB is not really working with SC2 so iRacing feels worse than SC1 Lenze - huge disappointment.

@Tero I hope you agree washers and cutting screws are not your solution. GD can do a lot better. In my opinion a new adapterplate for all earlyadopters is the least you should provide https://www.simtechracing.co.uk/web-shop/wireless-wheels/?Page_ID=3610&refpid=83177&id=787167

1 Like

I will be traveling to Finland on Friday, be there on Saturday. Would be good to meet you somewhere, just let me know if I should come armed with a baseball-bat or beers :slight_smile:

On a serious note: I have tested the QR and thought the concept was good, but of course the limitations are that it could only be bolted from the frontside of the wheel. Also, I discovered the issue with the bolts that have to be a certain maximum length.

Reason why I did not report on these is that imho, it was such a small and trivial matter, at least for me, as I am a very diy-oriented person, so often these things are of no consequence, sometimes forgetting not everyone is so inclined. My apologies, gentlemen.

Anyway, the fix could be a rather simple one, I have had a good look at the design, there is a very simple fix to allow the use of long bolts, as well as bolting from the servo-side into the wheel, by redesigning just one part, which could bolt to the existing design.

I will see Tero on the weekend, will discuss it with him on Sunday when we meet, but knowing GD, there already is a change considered. Speaking out if turn here, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

Another option I have discovered that is working brilliantly, is the Xero-play QR by Brett Stiles /HRS in Australia -> https://hrsims.com/

I am testing 2x units for him, and can say with absolute certainty, these have dethroned the Holger QR1 as the best QR around. They bolt directly to the SC2 units, replacing the GD QR, plus, they really look fantastic as well. So, another option if you are considering something else in the mean time.

Anyway, will discuss with Tero on Sunday, will feedback after! I might find time somewhere to do a small write-up about the bolt-lengths needed to make this existing design work for you…it is very easy once you have the correct std bolts…

Cheers,
Beano

2 Likes

Sorry you are so unhappy! Can I have it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Guys, chill. Especially please understand that Mika is working hard on multiple domains of the project, and pouring frustration on him is not helping anyone.

We’re all-ears hearing your initial impressions and studying your experiences of SC2 in every aspect.

Some of my thoughts after initial feedback in random order:

• We could have done better job in the 70 mm adapter. We’re already designing a better parts for that, and we’re thinking ways to help people with installation issues. However, designing, testing, manufacturing and delivering parts unfortunately won’t happen overnight no matter how much there’s demand or money to throw in it.
  • True Drive user interface revamp is already under works. We will consider all useful feedback received. The focus on V1.0 is stability, and user experience improvements will take place in V1.1.
  • We also know that dual PSU with not so long cables is not an ideal solution. We tried half dozen PSU alternatives (some with single psu, custom made with long cable). We had options:
    Option A. Pros: high quality, high reliability, acceptable price. Cons: dual PSU, not available with long cable. (2x Meanwell)
    Option B. Pros: high quality, high reliability, acceptable price. Cons: cap device input power to 280W which will clip torque in some situations, not available with long cable. (1x Meanwell)
    Option C. Pros: single PSU, long cable, acceptable price. Cons: poor quality, unreliable, sometimes noisy with fan. (multiple brands & models)
    Option D. Pros: high quality, high reliability, long cable. Cons: full custom made, very expensive. (this is the 1 kW SC2 Ultimate PSU).
    Option E. Pros: list all good things here. Cons: it doesn’t seem to exist, or we haven’t found it yet despite of looking hard.
    • So we picked A for SC2 Pro, B is sufficient for SC2 Sport, and D for SC2 Ultimate. Reliability is one we didn’t want to sacrafice.

I hope this helps!

Cheers, Tero

5 Likes