Simucube 1 vs simucube 2

Did I say IONI? Name me one non sim racing application for SimuCube.

Hi guys! I havenā€™t read all posts here, but here are couple of points behind SC2:

• SC2 is main goals are to upgrade the hardware and unify the hardware
  • Having HW is unified (equal HW in all cases) enables developers to focus on force feedback and compatibility - stuff that matters for driver during race.
  • In DIY HW (SC1) there are large number of HW variants (motors, encoders, power supplies, wireless/no wireless module, infinite number of different IONI configurations, etc). This leads to large amount of devā€™s time spent on keeping all different variants compatible and avoid breaking some of them with upgrade. This slows down progress.
  • Regardless of more difficult development on DIY/SC1, we will port major contributions of SC2 to SC1. We do it because we love all Simucube users equally :slight_smile:
  • Also IONI firmware development will continue normally. It is not Simucube specific product and we expect it to be available for next 5+ years at least. Only like 20% of IONIs are installed in Simucubes, 80% to robotics, so even if SC1 popularity goes zero, IONI will stay and update.

I hope this helps!

BR Tero

12 Likes

Thanks for the update Tero

1 Like

guys. your new stuff looks legit. really cool to see. good news all around. good luck i hope it will take off.

as someone who is running a simucube1, are we still getting the chance to purchase your quick release system standalone?

2 Likes

Yes, the quick release system is getting a standalone release.

1 Like

While im sure this wasnā€™t the reaction you were hoping for from the forum myself included you guys should be proud of what youā€™ve done with this. Im sure the new bases will be great with the people behind them. I do stand behind my statement you can see you guys care. I do have a question though. Can we expect to see more sims and games have actual OSW profiles so the dor works correctly now that these are an actual mass produced wheel.

1 Like

I wish you guys all the best in this venture but i do get the feeling you guys will be missing out on free money by not having an upgrade option for us SC1 peeps. I personally would be front line center to upgrade my SC1 box. I donā€™t really understand why I couldnā€™t swap over as I have the bog standard MiGE 130ST 20nm that I think most people haveā€¦ But I am a self confessed dumb arse :stuck_out_tongue:

Afraid for big guys unless you are Logitech, Thrustmaster, or Fanatec, you just do not exist.
Fanatec is recognized due to sheer user base of lesser wheels and can ride on that wave with DD, esp. as it was confirmed that titles supporting CSW will automatically support their Podium.
This is a huge disadvantage for newcomers.

Can I attach clipping LED to Simucube2 like Simucube1?

Congratulations guys! Looks like a superb new product line-up, canā€™t wait to test one of these out!

Now as a Simucube 1 owner, Iā€™m curious if any of the Simucube 2 advantages can be exchanged over to the 1. Iā€™d love to able to get a few of those quick releases for example, and a wireless module too. Is this something that would be possible?

Also taking it a step further. Motor choice was open on the Simucube 1. Could a 2nd gen motor be transplanted over with a little work?

Many thanks
Dan

Wireless wheel system and the quick releases are going to separately available. However, the wheel-side wireless module is not exactly meant for DIY purposes. Documentation here:
https://granitedevices.com/wiki/Simucube_wireless_wheel_system

2 Likes

Why am I not surprisedā€¦

1 Like

Mika,

Are you looking at getting devs to support this system so we have actual OSW wheel profiles and auto dor by the game?

YES. It will be much easier to do as we now have a real manufacturer supported product at hand, instead of various DIY implementations. But I will make sure to always include the Simucube 1 product ID as well.

First game that we have managed to contact and add support, or at least detection as a wheel instead of gamepad, is Codemaster F1 2019.

3 Likes

@Mika RaceRoom continues to make advancements and Alex Hodgkinson has expressed interest in DD-wheel support (Physics Developer). He may be the best person to contact at Sector3 about that.

1 Like

I saw that from Alex. He mentioned hed love to work on a DD profile but they donā€™t have a DD wheel to work with. Not to sidetrack this but R3E is coming along nicely.

Why not so elegant solution with 2 power supply bricks for Pro?

1 Like

Limiting factor was the availability of the power supplies that met our high quality requirements.

No harm keeping your existing OSW as a backup while owning new SC2, both version are still good to have as enthusiasts simracers. And of course SC2 way much better in terms of unification on various aspects such as wireless module (good bye to coiled cable), no more thicker motor cable & external controller box. We should say a big thank you to GD for this new revolutions.

1 Like

S2 pro version vs S1 mige 30 NM, how was the difference? It there a big gap? Did you recommend to upgrade ?