Simucube 1 vs simucube 2

Congratulations simucube, now you are like the rest.
“The king is dead, long live the king”
Luck.

Your thinking on this is just not factually accurate.

GD has never released a DD wheel/ecosystem before today.

What you bought that contained GD parts were the Simucube HID, the Ioni controller and a free FW/GUI. Either you did the diy build yourself, or, another builder assembled those components, plus a few others from other suppliers, together, flashed a FW and gave you a wheel.

From that perspective, logically speaking, they had no obligation to share any roadmap, as they gave not sold you a DD wheel. Yes, you have a wheel based on GD controller hardware, but those are by the way, also used in many industrial CNC processes.

Prematurely sharing roadmaps have led to companies closing doors for good, in a tight market-space, it would be unwise/foolish. Hopefully this point can be understood by all. We are all curious about the next level developments, but if we use the sim-world as a yardstick, history has taught Suppliers that this exact approach is the best one.

With all that said, reread the release carefully, also consider Mika’s feedback, and you will find zero reason for concern wrt SC1. Of course, due to hardware limitations on that aging microcontroller architecture, there will come a point where further FW enhancements is just not viable, but you will have a fully stable and functional osw that you can use for however long you see fit.

This from one member to another :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I share this argument in part, because if I find it right to progress with development, and create an SC2, I do not agree with removing all the supporters of the project the possibility of updating themselves, as for example happened with encoders. For me it was one of the most beautiful and important features of this project, unlike other manufacturers that forced you to change everything when you released a new model, with this platform you changed the updated component, a bit like you do with a PC.
Then behind all the words of the commercial I think there is also a lot of marketing, because the best engine talk has been tackled several times, it depends a lot on what you are looking for, speed or a more damped effect, not all of us have the same tastes.
Personally I have OSW for 3 years and I was very happy, switching to SC2 for me is just the idea of ​​having the latest model, I’m thinking about it, but I wouldn’t want to get into the vortex of SC2 … then SC3 … then SC4 …

The OSW pre-made systems from the same channel partners you’re using to sell the new range has a pretty well defined formula. The business is built on a channel distribution model so turning around saying “well we can’t responsible for what the channel does!” is an absurd reason considering that the channel is not making fundamental changes to your underlying platform. How many OSW end users are using a firmware/software stack that’s different to the one you develop and support?

I’m not asking to share roadmaps that are detrimental to the business on announced products. That’s an unreasonable ask. However, it’s completely normal for companies to release software enhancement roadmaps and provide EOS (end of support)/EOL (end of life) notifications in advance on existing platforms. The entire enterprise technology stacks works off the model. All those companies continue to be in business and thrive so this notion of sharing information killing off the company is ill founded.

I don’t need to reread or consider Mika’s feedback. What I and others want is a formal communication with the future of S1 development and its EOS (support) status. If you’re trying to be build a reputable business, don’t ask people to read between the lines.

Please be aware I am a private board member here, same as you, and not employed by GD :slight_smile:

As a business development manager for a large global automation company, I am fully aware of roadmaps. Roadmap in this context specifically refer to released products, available on the market, life-cycle planning and end-of-life information /notifications. Fully agreed.

Wrt to resellers vs agents, perhaps you can go and look at the difference? GD has zero liability wrt to the actions of the reseller distributor. Your assumption that such responsibility/liability should exist in the 1st place is absurd.

And that FW stack you are on about? Please realise it is something that was developed by GD at no cost to you, me, or any of the other users. It was tackled by a Mika, simply because it was supposed to be open-source, but there was almost nil input from the community :wink: If we had to wait for the community developers, as was the original intention, we would all be in the dark ages, using mmos FW.

Just to put things in perspective for you. I suspect you have no idea about the history and development path up to this point in in time. I have been involved from day 1 to this point, this is why I can state with absolute clarity and confidence that your take on this is factually incorrect.

Why I ask you to reread Mika’s comments, if you did, you would have realised that he have indicated that there has not been any EOL decision. I have worked closely with the GD team over many years now, know them well enough that they will follow due-diligence.

Anyway, I am out of this one, you have your view and I have mine…

2 Likes

I appreciate your time to engage. Yes, we have different perspectives. Mine of an outside/consumer’s. Your’s that of being in the inner circle. What we need now is for the granite team to be bridge that gap. Take good care.

Thanx Robert, my apologies if my views are expressed on the strong side, I am just a bit frustrated after the events of today and perhaps mostly due to a misunderstanding of where current SC1 users are at in this process.

I am pretty sure Mika and Team GD will communicate the SC1 EOL and related topics when it is such time.

But I can’t speak for the guys, my POV is only my own…

You take care too, hang around, there’re lots of fun to be had still :wink:

Cheers,
Beano

1 Like

Simucube 1 = Open Sim Wheel
Simucube 2 = Closed Sim Wheel
that’ s the reality good or not, sadly

4 Likes

You can please some of the people some of the time, all the people some of the time, but you cannot please all the people all of the time…

GD is progressing as a company, congratulations, that’s the point of a business they have people to pay and families to feed too.

For those of you (i’m included in the SC1) who are butt hurt from progress in a direction you did not perceive, remember this is OPEN SOURCE, nothing is stopping you taking the product in a direction you feel it should go and develop it, create your own business, turn a profit supporting, developing the current products fu
rther than the creator.

However based on the new direction GD has gone my suggestion would be its not that profitable or its EOL capability is near, hence the changes.

As a consumer, your strongest complaint can be to vote with your feet, dont buy the product again is your strongest method of protest, but be aware the market is a lot bigger than you alone and if the company is producing the “best” product it is likely that they will not be hugely effected by your defection.

Beyond a warranty no company owes its customers “loyalty”, its a business, there job is to make money in the best way their owners or shareholders deem fit. We are not “saving lives” solving “world piece” here folks its a “toy” keep the perspective intact… imho.

2 Likes

I am no longer confident in Granite Devices. The secret development probably took place over the last two years.

Every customer who bought his SimuCUBE within the last few month has been betrayed from the chance to get the “next generation” instead and this is exactly the way how I feel: betrayed.

GD kept us distracted with the announcements of amazing new parts for the SimuCUBE not telling us that they are mainly ment to be for the SC2.

And don’t tell us anything about marketing strategies. You betray customers you’ll lose them. Easy as that.

It is absolutely usual that companies release their future plans and make annoncements about new products. Actually it was really stupid marketingwise to keep your plans secret. Fanatec should thank you for that.

I could throw up if Mika now tells us full of pride how good even the smallest motor of the SC2 is compared to “a popular SC 1 motor”.

There is nothing wrong in making money but not with such a ruthless strategy within a community.

7 Likes

Simucube 1: Closed-source IONI servo drive + partially open source Simucube firmware, albeit almost no open source interest + open motor selection + open QR selection + open wheel rim selection. Made by various assemblers for almost plug and play, or for very small part of the community, DIY.

Simucube 2: Closed source next generation servo drive + partially open source Simucube firmware with some more of the closed source parts + custom motor + Simucube Quick Release (can be changed by user) + integrated Simucube Wireless Wheel Support. Wheel selection is still open, user can continue to select from a variety of wheels.

Not too dissimilar.

3 Likes

There are no plans for EOL as of now. For current owners, software updates, some new features, spare parts and warranty services are going to continue to be available.

3 Likes

The irony of that, Argon will outlive Simucube as it’s not simracing only specific application. :slight_smile:

IONI is by far not a simracing only application.

1 Like

This reads like when a company gets bought out by one of the big tech companies lol. “There will be no changes to the current platform for our users”.

6 months later “Sadly your hardware is not compatible with the latest features we are able to offer in our custom built Simucube2 platform”

I hope I will be proven wrong and laughed at in 2 years.

2 Likes

Mige is still very nice motor. I wasn’t saying that it is bad motor.

1 Like

Yeah I removed my edit, am a bit salty :smiley:

Very impressive product still, just the dead upgrade path…

1 Like

We haven’t said that the update path is dead either.

2 Likes

Well I feel that could be communicated better because it seems like that is the biggest issue the current owners are struggling with (the part where it is said you can deliver better service if you only have to support these 3 new servos seems to imply there will be no upgrade path)

2 Likes

OSW has been a real and fantastic périod , now it s merchandising …

1 Like