Simucube 1 vs simucube 2

I can’t believe how bad my timing is.

Saved for months and ordered the 20nm kit from Augury… Dispatched to me today!

I don’t think I’ll bother to try and win the lottery this week :weary::tired_face:

8.- RETURNS

1 Like

Will there be a way of running the new system completely without the simucube wireless system with a “traditional” clamping style 70mm bolt pattern adapter? Maybe even the one’s currently used on the MiGe shafts? I have 3 heavily modded fanatec steering wheels i use with the popular adapter from SRM, i understand you could mount the adaprer just on the “wheel side” Plate of your System but i thin this would add unneccesary lenght to the whole assembly. Also, not sure how solid running 2 quick releases on top of each other would be, even if the claim of a “zero play/backlash” QR is close to true… I’am sorry, but i come from an IRL motorsports background and even the most expensive Systems are not completely free of play/backlash

Yes, you can use whatever usb-based wheel you want. One wheel side SQR part and an adapter plate for 70mm wheels is included.

Ok, how about the shaft diameter? Will the clamping style 70mm plates fit the shaft of the simucube 2 motor? Frim the pictures of the QR on the racewerks website i saw that the Wheelside QR is still a clapming type mount which i find great, would be even better if the shaft diameter would be the same

While im not excited about the way this turned out and the fact my OSW is about a year old I get why GD did this. Now they have control over the whole thing which makes it easier for them and now its harder for devs to ignore. The thing I don’t get is why the 32nm is 3000 dollars. I could understand a few hundred more then the other models but double? I have a hard time believing its a 1500 dollar better experience.

Yeah but we ask several times the last months for a new software release and the answer was
when there was time so … now this …
now we know why there was no time
Feel left alone

5 Likes

Agree, the price diff is vast, difficult to understand. The perf diff between a Mige and Lenze (for eg) is not huge for example. I also dont get why certain features only available to Ultimate. Smacks of deliberate hardware constraint by software. Nevermind Ultimate early access…

3 Likes

Most of the software development done so far, have been done with Simucube 1. There just hasn’t been a good point to compile all different improvements together and release a good, tested firmware. There have been some alpha releases with bug-fixed Simucube Wireless Wheels around all this time, for Simucube 1.

1 Like

Except you said yourself its up to the wheel makers if we will even be allowed to buy them because you wont be selling them directly. Which would leave us early adopters out in the wind.

The thing that annoys me the most is that this has obviously been in the works for a long time. It would have been much better to not lead us on into thinking this was for our OSWs when it was actually a completely different direction. At least Fanatec announced their DD well in advance so if you wanted to wait you could instead of buying something only to find out something better was coming out soon. I get this was something that had to happen but I feel it was poorly executed…

5 Likes

Is their anything to suggest that the pro is even going to be better than an OSW? Cosmetics, and being self contained aside, that is.

I can see the ultimate being better; but who is really going to pay for that?

Wait until you see the results from the extensive motor testing we did. Even Sport is better than a popular motor being used with Simucube 1.

Edit: but in what way it is better? Thats the main point. There are another factors in play here than just plain driving feel. As an integrated, CE approved and tested product with compliance for current and upcoming regulatory requirements for no-load idle current, there are immediately issues that have to be cared for.

2 Likes

Do you know when you will publish these results?

I’m in the fortunate position that I was just about to order an OSW, rather than owning one and worrying about the levels of support I can expect to receive in the future.

My concerns are more focused around how noticeable the improvements are in terms of the feel of the wheel.

Also how soon are the units likely to ship, and how well tested have they been? Don’t follow Fanatec’s model :wink:

Just my 2c.

I don’t think GD could have announced it months ago. Imagine all those buyers who would hold off their purchase until SC2 was announced. Then all those businesses with SC1 on their shelves without buyers. Maybe these businesses could have have told their customers, hang fire for a bit. Something is happening but then again, they’d still be left with units they couldn’t sell.

GD can devote more time to Simucube rather than trying to troubleshoot DIY builds. How many SC1 have had the wires around the wrong way, or can’t install firmware. Maybe with SC2 it will negate all those time consuming processes.

Perhaps now GD will be taken seriously by game devs and support for Simucube will be built in rather than an afterthought by hacking ini files.

I would like to see Simucube software for SC1 go open source to the community so development doesn’t stall. I know from experience that once a new product is announced all development for previous incarnations stops.

2 Likes

Having purchased numerous vehicles in one year, only to see the next fall a new model come out; and purchased many a GPU and CPU only to see months later a new version come out, I empathize with what should be momentary disappointment with the abrupt realization that a product one owns is no longer the latest model. However, it is unreasonable to expect a for-profit company like Granite to be satisfied with the few hundred dollars of gross revenue it made off each of us and suspend innovation and improving its competitive position.

I pose this question for those of us who own a SC1 system: is your SC1 rig any less powerful, any less supported, any less amazing than it was yesterday? I can say, for months after Granite got its last dollar from my purchase, it has gotten better and better with Granite’s improvements to firmware and expanded support in sims and mods. I won’t be able to help coveting new capabilities and features that owners of shiny new Fanatec Podium wheels or SC2 systems are showing off in a few months. But can I say I’ve been wronged or betrayed because an outstanding product I am enjoying every day has been improved upon? Not rationally can I say that.

The SC2 systems look amazing, and I expect that they will perform amazing. Should we resent that a version 2 is out such that the version 1 is no longer the latest? My answer comes in the form of a question . . . would we want Kunos to stop with AC, Reiza to stop with AMS, iRacing to stop refining, S397 to suspend development of DLC’s or an rF3? Of course not. Maybe the sting of progress is a little more when our investment has been a grand instead of $50, but our Mige motors and SC1 boards will still be humming beautifully even when SC2’s and Podiums are on others’ rigs.

I hope Granite makes bank off its good work. And SimXperience, and Fanatec, too, for that matter.

7 Likes

Thank you for two great ‘voices of reason’ above, guys, there is hope for the world.

It will still turn tomorrow, and the day after, as it did yesterday and the day before.

1 Like

Are there any official End of Life dates on the Simucube 1 boards, specifically end of manufacture/sale ?

This will be useful for planning purposes for owners within the existing Simucube 1 ecosystem.

This is really exciting. Can’t wait to see the testing results

There’s nothing wrong with releasing new products but there is a reasonable expectation of transparency into the development roadmap for existing customers.

As consumers who put a reasonable investment into your ecosystem, it would be great to have details around what will become of the S1 development goals and roadmap. That would alleviate a lot of the uncertainty.

Right now the general impression people can reasonably take is that “S2 is where the focus will be. S1 might get some updates down the road.”

I’m also a bit concerned that these points were surely discussed internally and yet there was no detailed communication to the community as to the lifecycle continuation of the S1 platform.