SC2 Ultimate noise over time

hello, thanks for reply.

if you are in front of your servo and have an ultimate unit, can you try to test the following settings in true drive and verify if the servo vibrate and sounds like a siren ?.
i don’t know why but not all my settings " i use a lot of inertia and damping " vibrate and sounds like a boat siren :|. i hope i don’t have to ask for RMA support. it’s like 4 weeks now.

just set inertia to 100 and damping to 100. 50% strength. “no center filter”.

thank you.

Which firmware version do you have?
Which wheel do you have, and how it is mechanically attached to Simucube 2?
Is the “reduce resonance” checkbox checked in True Drive?

We have improved this a lot for version 1.0.13, however we have had one or two reports that not solid enough wheel attachment can make the device resonate still.

Also, while the 100% damping and inertia can be set up, they are very extreme settings, and it is likely that we will reduce the available range instead of making our torque controller itself more filtered which would affect driving feel.

Hello,

if i tick the reduce resonance the vibration it’s 100% pronunced than before.
if can hepls … the beep sounds ( when you start the servo of when high torque is engaged ) it’s really low in volume compared to past weeks. this is good but i think is not normal.
Now happens with all wheels i own.

Sc2 ultimate ( i know that for someone this settings is not usual but i like to use it in this way ).

1.0.13 True drive
My settings.
center filter disabled
53% strength
inertia 86
damping 100
900" / bumpstop 10" + 55% strength
recon 4
bandwidth 2200/Unlimited
gamma 1.0
centering strength off
hands off | off
servo drive firmware 10812

Which QR are you using, and which specific wheels this is happening with? Are you able to find a limit for damping and inertia where it does not happen anymore?

The sound is due to the system becoming a rotational spring - mass -system which has a natural resonance frequency, and once the torque controller excites the shaft with this frequency, the vibration starts.

This frequency is closely tied with the the rigidity of your QR, and how the wheel-side QR part is attached to the wheel. Simucube 2 products are designed to use the Simucube Quick Release.

You can try with lesser torque bandwidth (as no sensible settings have any additional details above ~1000 Hz anyway) and just lower inertia and damping.

Just to add, we did add a filter that filters out the frequency that was happening with the F1S wheel when mounted rigidly to SQR and when the wheel-side SQR was rigidly mounted. However, additional report is that if the wheel-side SQR was not mounted solidly enough (there was a spacer or something), the resonance was still there due to the resonance frequency becoming somewhat lower.

Hello,

i have all my wheels (from cube controls, rosso, wp1, converted fanatec v2 formula with sc2 qr, precision engineering and others ) all with sc2 original QR.
this never happens with this settings before, never…it’s like 3/4 weeks that i can’t use my original settings and have to lower inertia under 50 and damping under 40.
this happens even without any wheels attached.

i’m not able to determine if the servo have issues but hope not because vacation.

OK, thanks for reporting this. We will discus this during the coming week.

1 Like

thank you,

you think it’s safe to not use the motor for now ?.

It is unlikely that there is something wrong with the motor itself. If you can use settings that does not result in resonance, then it is safe to use.

good to hear :grinning:
but not i cannot use the settings i like :(. and it’s not marginal… from 100 to 40 it’s not normal.
can understand from 100 to 85 but 60% loss of settings flexibility is strange.
hope this don’t degrade more.

sorry but, why set damping at 100%? it doesn’t make any sense at all…

Hello,
Because after spending 3k to have this range for settings and because i like it and i want to use it this way.
just want to know if other people have this behaviour using damping and inertia to 100. in 5 months never happens, never, with any wheels and even without wheels attached. don’t happens in another ultimate and pro version. I knwo this thing is expensive for manufacturer but if a fault is present i want to know what i have to do to restore the exact situation before this problem happens. Hope is a software related otherwise paypal is great for this things.

i never had the need to set those settings to those values, the maximum i had set the damping filter is at around 15%, and i am on sc2 sport, not ultimate nor pro.
there is simply no need, and also i think it’s not fair to complain that you are having problems with your hw if you set those filters at their maximum values, i am not by far an expert and surely Mika would help you better than me on this, but i guess those filters are not intended to be set so high. sorry to say, but you really should learn how to use properly the true drive software.

You wont find anyone using 100% dampening…might as well just use a logitech wheel.
You wont find anyone else using 100% inertia either…unrealistic behavior
We bought the expensive drive to simulate realism.

But you are free to use your purchase as you wish

I think it’s better to leave support duties to GD staff, moreover the user had no issues with these settings before.
@Albert_Brennan, I suggest to post screenshot of your settings, sometimes description doesn’t cut it, like damper for instance, is it Other filters damper or DirectInput, what title you have issues with, what settings are there, did you change anything in a sim itself, like gain.
Anything that could help GD people diagnose your problem.
And may be even create your own thread so the feedback on TD software thread stays more focused on the subj.

3 Likes

I’ve split this to a separate topic.

Hi!

This is quite unexpected behaviour, and we’re investigating it. For sure, our goal is that all settings are stable 0-100% no matter whether they’re practical settings or not.

@Albert_Brennan can you provide some info:

• is SQR tightness still like it was as new? (we’ll upload a video guide that instructs it’s tightness checking/optimization in matter of couple of days)
  • could you record a sound clip with constant resonance going on? We can analyze it and it helps to solve the issue faster.

Thanks!

Hi!

This is quite unexpected behaviour, and we’re investigating it. For sure, our goal is that all settings should be stable 0-100% no matter whether they’re practical or not.

@Albert_Brennan can you provide some info:

• is SQR tightness still like it was as new? (we’ll upload a video guide that instructs it’s tightness checking/optimization in matter of couple of days)
  • could you record a sound clip with constant resonance going on? We can analyze it and it helps to solve the issue faster.

Thanks!

@Albert_Brennan, check this out, may be you lost your Recon filter too. Worth a shot.