Richard Burns Rally and Simucube 2

Hi @maviaggi,

thanks for sharing. Why are you on TD 2020.10? I always install the newest version, do you have a specific reason for that?

I tried your setup but its REALLY heavy. With in game FFB “of two notches” you mean 2 less from full power or 2 from lowest?

thanks for your answer!

• Why are you on TD 2020.10? I always install the newest version, do you have a specific reason for that? The Paddock does not interest me, I consider it useless. All versions after 2020.10 did not bring any benefits in terms of filters and functionality. So many new versions of TD, too many (15-16? I lost count) so many problems.
  • I tried your setup but its REALLY heavy. With in game FFB “of two notches” you mean 2 less from full power or 2 from lowest? That’s why I think the Paddock is useless, the FFB settings are very personal, you won’t find 2 riders with an identical setting.
    In game I mean 2 from lowest. However, I understand that it may be too strong for you (it takes some time to get used to the strength of the Simucube), try to lower the overall to 85% in TD, if it is still too strong it increases the FFB sensitivity in Rallysimfans.
    Finally, if you are not with my setting, don’t worry it’s normal! Make your own setting, test every single filter as it responds, get to know your wheel, it takes time and patience to get real satisfaction from the Simucube, but you will see that you will be thrilled.

@maviaggi I agree with your statement that most people are nowhere near the same settings. You will be surprised sometimes what works for you is not even close to the “mainstream” posted settings on the forum.

May I ask you a few questions about RBR and about TD?

For TD: You made the comment that the newer versions have many issues. Could you elaborate some of the main issues that was bad enough not to upgrade versions? Are you concerned that if an updated version came out that was beneficial, that you may have issues importing your setups? I personally hate that paddock was not more of a hit because I love having options of others to see what I like as a starter.

For RBR: I personally wanted to ask, if I was moving towards fine turning your setup you shared, are there any settings in game or in TD that you found you should not mess with or not use? Not so much a personal preference in the feel preventing you, but any settings that just doesn’t jive well with the game with TD? What settings have you found to be the most beneficial or make the biggest difference in the tune?

I repeat: the Paddock does not interest me. For TD you have to consider that all versions released after 2020.10 were only needed to make the Paddock work, there was no improvement in the functioning of the wheel; in practice 2020.10 and 2022.6 - in terms of wheel performance - are the same. Why on earth would I have to update a software / firmware that is the same as what I already have? The 15 versions of TD Paddock were needed to solve many problems. Hope the problems are over! I very much hope that Granite is now dedicated to software development.
For RBR as you have seen, I have arrived at 12 versions with many things yet to be tested but I would certainly not move the Friction filter anymore, because it takes away a lot of reactivity from the wheel which I think is important for a rally game.

2 Likes

Please do not spread misinformation.

After 2020.10, this have been fixed:

Bumpstop behavior fix

• Changed bumpstops to avoid issue where the bumpstop force could be overcome by game-generated FFB in some cases.

Torque tuning changes and audible changes

• Fix constant audible tone issue in some Simucube 2 Sport and Pro R2 units
  • Change the long beep of going to standby mode to more informative tone.

Changes and fixes

• Simucube Wireless Wheels: Fixed an issue that could cause wireless wheels buttons to stop registering in games in some very rare situations.

• Added protections to firmware to prevent corrupt settings when more than allowed number of profiles are stored into “classic” profiles. More than 99 user-made classic profiles cannot be used anymore (they never worked properly anyway).

• Simucube hardware revision is shown correctly in the UI.

• Added audible notifications for some future Simucube Wireless Wheel functions.

Changes and fixes - hardware support

• Release supports Simucube 2 units manufactured after week 36/2021. Hardware change is a minor change to support alternative components to battle the global chip shortage

• Supports Simucucube Tuning Button functionality on Simucube Tahko GT-21 wheel

• Supports Simucube Wireless Wheel 2 based wheels

• Added a workaround for Raceroom Racing Experience bug (wheel spins on game exit).

• Wireless wheel tab does not accidentally close when pressing ESC button

Device identity fixes

• Small number of Simucube 2 Sport units that incorrectly identify themselves as Pro are fixed as Sport

• Small number of Simucube 2 Pro units that incorrectly identify themselves as Sport are fixed as Pro

• Note: Identity changes after saving settings to device memory at least once, and then rebooting the device
    • Re-assigning controls in games will be required for the small number of affected units.
  • Reduce/eliminate the chance of audibly buzzing motor in Safe Torque mode.

• Improve torque control performance

• Improve precision/smoothness of sinusoidal current waveforms.
    • Eliminate audible noise glitches that appeared in certain situations.
    • Eliminate the chance of torque glitch at transition between High Torque to Safe Torque modes.
  • Eliminate potential chance of fault with 485001 error on first usage(s) of the product.

• Increase reliability of Hiperface encoder initialization on device start. This may affect some Simucube 2 Ultimate units only.

Changes and fixes - Wireless Wheels

• Added event log details about reason (connection loss, idle timeout, manual disconnection) why wireless wheel was disconnected.

Changes and fixes - True Drive

• It is not possible to set empty or only white space password for profile editing.
  • Changing profile settings does not cause the save settings to Simucube -button to blink on hardware settings tab anymore.
2 Likes

If I drive my favorite sim like ACC with 2020.10 and the latest TD, same settings, will I notice positive FFB difference?
That’s the only thing that matters unless you are a developer.

2 Likes

Mika, I know you do your job, but please don’t offend my intelligence, please!
My SC2 Pro with TD 2020.10 in 2 years of life has not suffered from any problem that you say solved the Paddock with 15 versions. In my opinion it is the Paddock that generated all the problems you mention, and it took 2 years of work to solve them … and maybe it’s not over yet.
But please honestly answer the question Andrew_WOT asked you, thank you!

1 Like

If there is a person that can answer the question then it is: you
If there is a way that you can downgrade to the version of your choice then I don’t see any obstacles that should prevent you from testing the latest version.

Isn’t Paddock not only a cloud based profile storage with presets for specific simulations with the possibility to import or quick try other users presets? I can’t see how that could affect the motor and hardware in general in any way.
I also can’t remember that TD upgrades were made responsible for other issues than connection issues with wireless wheels. If there were such complaints then the number was very small.
I don’t have a problem with paddock because of its structure but the fact that a vast majority of published presets is of poor quality. Insane amount of damping, friction and slew rate castrated to close to 0, just to maintain the “always 100% torque” Maxime. Presets using direct input filters at simulations they are not implemented. Some of the mandatory in-game settings mention steering range for simulations like F1 titles, where there is no possibility to set this value.

Do you remember badly or you only recently arrived here on the Granite forum. Have you ever used the TD 2020.10? I can assure you that all the problems mentioned by Mika I have not encountered on my SC2 Pro with TD 2020.10, not even one. As you say, the Paddock is just a cloud-based profile archive, so why did it take 15 updates to make the Paddock?
Please note: It is not possible to downgrade from the latest version of TD Paddock to TD 2020.10

It is possible. It is just that devices manufactured after certain date cannot, as they are not compatible with old firmware.

The servo drive algorithms have been tuned between these releases, but the aim is that the feeling would be the same.

Thanks Mika, you were very honest!

Like I wrote: IF it is possible. I didn’t arrive yesterday, let me check out…was a year ago. I myself never had any issues neither and constantly updated when there was a final/stable release. As all my wheels are running through powered USB hub I never had any issues with connection. My TD settings are very basic, only torque adjustments, steering range, recon off to 1 and a bit of constant force reduction, mostly for rally.
I’m online for steam, epic and I have nothing to hide from Granite at all. Think my data which they get from my base (if they even collect them) will might be helpful if I run into a problem. If I was Granite I would collect as less data as possible. Whatever is collected has to be stored, it needs software to identify which base did what when and why, and that “only” for the purpose to have some backdata that let me help customers faster? OR to learn from these information to improve and control hard and software?
That is even more demanding, needs human resources, security precauses, storage ammo.
If you are on another DD (is pure guessing though) all you have is a phone number/mail contact. They open a ticket… and have no clue on basic parameters and information after that unit left their facilities

I love you Clay, I say it with my heart

1 Like

I’m sitting on my balcony, starring at your reply…and don’t know what to say. It’s like sitting in the middle of nowhere while trying to find out if that is true sarcasm or true honesty. Either way would be a strong statement, which is not very common these days. It makes me wonder if I am the dumbest mfcker ever or a dude able to right a correct statement. Could even be I’m both. I just don’t know… for real :hatching_chick:

No Clay there is no sarcasm, I love people like you, sincere people, people who have the desire to participate and want to help others

2 Likes

I am with you 2020 10 for me also …and all the problems posted on this forum re TD are related to all the updates
2020-10 NO PROBLEMS at all for the last few years
regards denis
PS my SC PRO from the first batch manufactured

2 Likes

After the latest update the RBR launcher shows a failure: " do you want to install net.core"? After hitting “yes” it won’t update anything. I tried manual installation, without success. Any idea/help/advice??
Solved

Hi Clay, what update are you talking about?

1 Like